Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I'm still amused by just how pathetically cheap the new tray liners look. Haha, it looks like the exact same tray I eat off of when I'm in Y between DFW-HKG. It looks about the same caliber as the tray I ate off of in the high school lunchroom, but HS lunch was not a part of a premium product
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I'm still amused by just how pathetically cheap the new tray liners look. Haha, it looks like the exact same tray I eat off of when I'm in Y between DFW-HKG. It looks about the same caliber as the tray I ate off of in the high school lunchroom, but HS lunch was not a part of a premium product
The 'main course' looks disgusting!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Have had quite a bit of airline food, unfortunately, in the last week or so.

Had the Ricotta Cavatelli, it came with a diced vegetable / feta salad and deviled eggs. The salad, albeit way too small, was actually very good in my opinion. Deviled eggs seemed pretty good too. The entree was pretty bad, tasted like something from a can (Chef Boyardee or something like that) - I took a few bites and left most of it. Skipped dessert, some sort of cake that was served like 30 minutes after I had my tray cleared.

Later on the same day I had Beef Teriyaki with a small salad and the chicken appetizer. Again, the salad and appetizer were actually OK (with the salad being a bit too small, couldn't even use half of the dressing packet on it). The beef teriyaki seemed like the safer choice this time, as I wasn't much interested in the vomit ravioli that I had posted in the other food thread. Unfortunately the beef teriyaki was pretty bad, seems like they used the wrong cut / type of beef as it simply fell apart, definitely low quality - the rice was kind of bland and the vegetables were entirely unseasoned. Dessert was the cookie, it was OK but in the future I'll skip it since it really adds nothing but sugar.

Overall, it seems like AA does an OK job on some of the appetizers but the entrees are really awful. They'd be better off sizing up the appetizers and adding a 3rd hot appetizer for a tapas style meal...at least if they want to continue being cheap about things.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Just came off AA1318 BOS-DFW
Wheels up finally just about 7:30 thanks to a bulb out on the flight deck & IFE system not cooperating so FA's had to scramble around & do the safety demo themselves.

Did finally get PDB of juice/water just before scheduled take off even though we boarded thru 2LR & there were 2 FA's up there.

Warm towels.

Breakfast entree choice of oatmeal or Quiche Florentine. Had the quiche which wasn't bad, though the rosemary potatoes were a bit under seasoned. Biscuit was warm but not the BOB ones we all loved & miss. Fruit plate on the side.

No mints even though I saw the FA open them while we were boarding.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by txrus
...No mints even though I saw the FA open them while we were boarding.
Suspicious!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
J... No mints even though I saw the FA open them while we were boarding.
I am sure the mints made a nice snack while they read their books.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
These sound new unless the curry chicken was the 'chicken tikka' or whatever they call it. I haven't seen the shrimp cocktail since prior to 9/1 so that is interesting as it was a pmAA item.
That menu is exclusively served departing the Caribbean, except for departures from Costa Rica and LAA narrowbody departures from SJU.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
That menu is exclusively served departing the Caribbean, except for departures from Costa Rica and LAA narrowbody departures from SJU.
Very interesting-- never knew there were those kind of market-specific thingies like that.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Made-to-order sundaes on a midcon??? I'm really hoping it wasn't just a catering mistake, but this happened on SAN-ORD in F last night (3:40p departure/Dinner flight)...

Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by metallo
Made-to-order sundaes on a midcon??? I'm really hoping it wasn't just a catering mistake, but this happened on SAN-ORD in F last night (3:40p departure/Dinner flight)...

Wow, that's definitely odd. For sure, on those longer dinner midcons, ice-cream is supposed to be served now, but I think they're a specific flavor of ice-cream without toppings. Even pmAA didn't serve made-to-order sundaes on midcons; only on transcons over 2200mi. Was there a sundae cart with all the fixings, or was it prepared in the gallery?

As this was a non-hub to hub flight, it couldn't have just been leftovers from the previous flight (such as if it was LAX-ORD). It must have been some kind of miscatering, or a very subtle nod from USdbaAA management that they're #goingforgreat by bringing back pmAA midcon sundaes (which, IIRC, last existed around ~2005).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wow, that's definitely odd. For sure, on those longer dinner midcons, ice-cream is supposed to be served now, but I think they're a specific flavor of ice-cream without toppings. Even pmAA didn't serve made-to-order sundaes on midcons; only on transcons over 2200mi. Was there a sundae cart with all the fixings, or was it prepared in the gallery?

As this was a non-hub to hub flight, it couldn't have just been leftovers from the previous flight (such as if it was LAX-ORD). It must have been some kind of miscatering, or a very subtle nod from USdbaAA management that they're #goingforgreat by bringing back pmAA midcon sundaes (which, IIRC, last existed around ~2005).
FA took orders, went to the galley where the purser prepared each sundae, and then returned to serve them from a tray before moving on to the next seat pair. Topping choices were the standard ones you'd get on a domestic transcon or Hawaii flight (fudge/strawberry/butterscotch, +/- nuts/whipped cream).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by metallo
FA took orders, went to the galley where the purser prepared each sundae, and then returned to serve them from a tray before moving on to the next seat pair. Topping choices were the standard ones you'd get on a domestic transcon or Hawaii flight (fudge/strawberry/butterscotch, +/- nuts/whipped cream).
That would seem to be a miscater.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Very interesting-- never knew there were those kind of market-specific thingies like that.
Yep. UA does the same.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Yep. UA does the same.
Pre-merger, this never used to be the case in my experience. For example, MIA-SXM and STT-MIA served the typical domestic F selection. These two routes I frequent(ed) quite often and were always pretty predictably a protein or a pasta dish.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by TonySCV
I'm guessing vanilla and (insert other flavor here) is what they are calling a "pre-made" sundae. People have already debated plenty about whether or not "sundae" implies toppings or not. Someone else can have that debate. There were no toppings as there were pre-9/1, nor was there a fruit and cheese option, but there are now 2 flavors of ice cream where before it was just vanilla.
Per every ice cream serving establishment on the ground, what differentiates just scoops of ice cream in a container and a sundae is that sundaes have a topping (and typically some whipped cream and a cherry, maybe nuts sprinkle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.