Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by Bttc
DCA-ORD was an decent omelette with sausage and potatoes. Came with a bread of choice and fresh fruit. Overall, much better than old AA breakfast.

I'm hoping the fruit cocktail earlier posters complained about was a mistake--maybe a day 1 catering issue?

Based on my two flights so far, the new catering is as good or better on flights where it wasn't cut. Plus, on flights which used to have the gourmet snack mix, the basket is an improvement.

Overall, it sounds like the losses are the shorter flights that lost meals and the transcons, and the winner is breakfast.
This sums it up. New breakfast is a big improvement. Much more filling meals and as I posted earlier, 2 warm options regardless of what the pre-order system tells you. Seems like if they would only restore proper Hawaii and Transcon service there would be far less complaints. I do not think AA's dinners were all that great on non-transcon routes. Usually a dried up piece of chicken in some greasy sauce. So I do not see how the new meals are all that bad.

Last edited by aero0729; Sep 7, 2014 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Here are my choices for my first post 9/1 flight, on LGA-ORD this coming week:

1) Chimichurri Beef Enchiladas
Served with rice and black beans

2) Bowtie Pasta
With pesto Alfredo sauce, roasted tomatoes and chives

So far looks like the same type of offering as before (granted this is a carve out route). I'm guessing the big change on this route will be no mixed nuts before the meal and no cookie after the meal?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Bttc
DCA-ORD was an decent omelette with sausage and potatoes. Came with a bread of choice and fresh fruit. Overall, much better than old AA breakfast.

I'm hoping the fruit cocktail earlier posters complained about was a mistake--maybe a day 1 catering issue?

Based on my two flights so far, the new catering is as good or better on flights where it wasn't cut. Plus, on flights which used to have the gourmet snack mix, the basket is an improvement.

Overall, it sounds like the losses are the shorter flights that lost meals and the transcons, and the winner is breakfast.
Sounds like what would have been served on DCA-ORD before. How has it improved? Was it previously just a continental breakfast?

A big negative breakfast change is the loss of the baked-on-board biscuits. It was one of the AA "signature items" that would make me choose AA over DL.

The fruit cocktail will appear with a continental breakfast catered on the inbound flight and left to sit on the plane overnight. All of the items in that situation have to be non-perishable. So you'll see it on flights out of places like SMF, PIT, and now ANC.

I still think the changes on balance are quite negative. Some very marginal improvements in a few meals and the snack basket on short flights don't come close to balancing the complete loss of meals on many medium-haul flights, the drastic downgrading of meals on many longer flights, and the dessert cutbacks. AA in one fell swoop wiped out a big competitive advantage.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
That lasagna looks tasty! Did you happen to take a picture of the pre-made sundae? What kind of ice-cream was it, and was it a small portion (not filling the cup up), or was it sufficient in size?
I should have taken a pic but forgot. It was vanilla with some embedded candy and some nuts I think ground on top, served in a drink glass. Mine was filled to the max, with the ice cream protruding a couple inches over the top. It was plenty in the calorie department

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
The service doesn't look as nice as the old AA transcon service, but I'd have to admit it doesn't look that bad, especially with warmed nuts being served, and ice-cream being offered as a dessert vs. a blah cheesecake. Could be worse (DL doesn't have a proper transcon service, except for JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA), but could also be better (keeping AA's true transcon service with printed menus, linens, separate courses, etc).
I actually liked the old US cheesecakes in general, but this change isn't bad. Printed menus would be a nice touch, but with the only options variance being the drinks (which I believe are still in the seatback magazine though I haven't looked in eons), the choice of two breads, and the choice of two entrees, I can see why they don't, and the FAs would likely still explain the options anyway.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
I don't know if it has already been mentioned in this thread but the cookies are no longer baked on board (along with the biscuits) either. The new cookies are pretty tasteless and are baked thicker and smaller than the previous variety. Choices in variety seems to have disappeared as well since all I've seen thus far are the chocolate chip cookies.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:56 pm

Bring back the freshly baked cookies!!!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Here's this evening's (September 6th) westbound service on US 701 PHL-SFO in F, my first transcon since the 9/1 changes:

I thought the lasagne entree was surprisingly good.
That lasagna looks good, and, in contrast to some of the other elements, it's a generous portion.

My criticism of that meal follows:

1. The salad is, well, tiny. I don't demand an "Elaine Benes" Big Salad before dinner, but that salad is about the size of an international economy salad (where tiny portions are expected), not a salad befitting a six hour flight in domestic F. It looks like a salad the FAs would assemble for a child, not an adult.

2. IMO, the warm nuts were delivered late. They aren't an "appetizer," that was the beef dish on your tray. The warm nuts are a cocktail snack and should be served with the post-takeoff drink service. When I have dinner at a bar, the bartender makes sure I have the nuts/pretzels/whatever when he serves my drink, not right before my dinner is served.

3. The cheesy roll looks delicious - were seconds offered? It's prepared to the same scale as the salad - like a child's portion. Hope you can get more than one.

Want people to pay for F instead of paying for F on UA or VX (both of which appear to have dinner flights to SFO as well)? Up the game a little in F.

The meal looks great, but it doesn't look like a First Class dinner for a six hour transcon flight. It looks like a dinner/snack well-suited for a 1000-1200 mile mid-con flight.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by sukn
I don't know if it has already been mentioned in this thread but the cookies are no longer baked on board (along with the biscuits) either. The new cookies are pretty tasteless and are baked thicker and smaller than the previous variety. Choices in variety seems to have disappeared as well since all I've seen thus far are the chocolate chip cookies.
Yeah, the new cookies are gross.

I find it funny that the majority of people that say they are not upset with the catering are flying either exception routes or coming from US.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:02 pm

Warm nuts too. For most of the routes
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by dallaspopo
Warm nuts too. For most of the routes
What do you mean?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:44 pm

This is the same food choice we had on US #729 PHL-SEA on 9/4. The dessert was either ice cream (two scoops with peanut butter cookies and chocolate chips) or cheese and crackers. I had ice cream, but it was frozen solid when it was served.

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Here's this evening's (September 6th) westbound service on US 701 PHL-SFO in F, my first transcon since the 9/1 changes:
PDBs served
(There was then a 1.5 hr storm delay on the tarmac in PHL, with an additional drink service)
After takeoff, drink service and snack basket (basket may have been to tide us over until the entrees were ready given the length of the ground delay)
Warm nuts as an appetizer before the tray
Salad
Meat appetizer with carmelized onions
Entree choice of lasagne or chicken with rice (I went for the lasagne)
Choice of dinner rolls (cheese bread or I think a sourdough, I went with the former)
Pre-made sundae as dessert

I thought the lasagne entree was surprisingly good.

Glassware and the salt and pepper holder had the new AA logo. Hot towels before and after the meal as usual. Had an acceptable chardonnay that seems better than those loaded last month, and was certainly better than one I had on a Republic E170 Friday on BNA-DCA.

Overall, not a lot of change from typical US transcon meals of late, with the exception of warm nuts being added and the replacement of the cheesecake dessert with the sundae. The cheesecakes were good and the sundae was fine, so this is probably a wash IMHO.

The first class FA, Cindy, was excellent as most are that do this route.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
PHL-PHX US flight
Breakfast w 2 choices

LAX-DFW AA flight
Breakfast w 2 choices

Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
That looks like a biscuit.
Someone said they stopped serving biscuits.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
That looks like a biscuit.
Someone said they stopped serving biscuits.
I received biscuits on both the US flight from PHL to PHX and the AA flight from
LAX to DFW. I think people are complaining about the biscuits are not baked
on board now.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by pigx5
I received biscuits on both the US flight from PHL to PHX and the AA flight from
LAX to DFW. I think people are complaining about the biscuits are not baked
on board now.
And how were the new biscuits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.