Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Did RNO-ORD this morning in first, got sticker upgrade about 2 hours before flight, being Plat they should have told me earlier - the flight was oversold and they offered $500 voucher to volunteer to be bumped - they could not offer any flights out of Reno until the next day though. I probably should have asked them to check flights out of SMF and did a ~$120 one way rental car in exchange for the voucher

So, the 3+ hour flight on 737 offered "continental breakfast" in first.

There was no effort here. It was equivalent to the breakfast offering at a low budget economy inn. A bowl of granola, which was fine. A individual serving plastic vacuum bag of cinnamon rolls, which were not very tasty, a bottle of milk to add to the granola, and a horrid looking individual plastic/tin sealed fruit cocktail - did not touch. Very disappointing that they replaced everything that was fresh on previous service.

I asked for a mimosa, the attendant replied that she didn't think she could make one, was there something else that I would like ... but, she produced it anyhow.

The upgrade was from an exit seat to the bulkhead seat in first - so I lost legroom, and didn't get a real meal ...
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
It seems the midcons did not suffer that badly. The appetizer, salad, entre, and bread choices are good. The china they are served on are nice, the normal size silware is great, and the new nut dishes make for a great presentation. The snack basket on shorts flights is a great addition to the "premium snack mix" served previously. It's the paper tray liner and paper napkin ring holder that are pretty cheap and not needed, the original linen and no napkin ring were fine the way the were. Although apparently the linen was traded out because the plates were sliding all over the place.

The real changes no one can understand are the new snack baskets and red eye service. Why do this? It's not first class and the presentation is awful. Why remove the large pillows, duvets, and tablets from non JFK/MIA/LAX transcons?! Where is the large budget they were given to become a leader? Where is the understanding of premium passengers? All I see is USAir taking over AA inflight and slashing the service to medicore. International is next and I hate to see what "enhancements" will be rolling out.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by socalduck
. Perhaps not a mistake. From the pictures I've seen, it's possible these "snacks" pre-date the merger.
The snack box I was referring to was handed to me LAX-BOS....Departing last Monday 9/1

In alleviate the tension, someone flipped over the box to show me the marking.

On the other hand you may be right....the Crossant tasted as if it had been sealed in its little bag six months ago.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
"Snack basket challenge"

Originally Posted by Pinned
That US Airways snack basket thing...awful. Had it today on a 750 mile lunch time flight - on AA that used to be a real meal. I chose a wrapped chicken curry "sandwich" that was about 2 bites - gross, who knows how long it had been sitting. The other options were potato chips, pretzels, or cookies. Seriously disappointing, none of this food was filling nor healthy.
- Clearly, F passengers of the new AA are now facing "Snack basket challenge". It looks like this new "challenge" is poised to take social media by storm any time from now. I just came across this preview posted on YouTube 7 days ago:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZcqvJbgyW8

Note that you don't have to empty the content of the infamous "snack basket" over your head like in the video - just one look at a signature "sandwich" would cause compulsory shacking.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by MediocreAtBest
I beg to differ America West operated Long Hauls from Boston to Phoenix and also from Boston to Las Vegas before the Las Vegas Hub was discontinued. At times flights through the Las Vegas, Phoenis and Columbus hubs continued to Los Angles (and perhaps San Francisco) but I don't think it was ever non-stop.

If that service did exist, even briefly I would be quite interested, even surprised, however I would be most interested in knowing when the routes were eliminated so that we can determine if they provide a reasonable basis for an alignment in 2014.
They absolutely did exist. HP even flew JFKLAX and LAXIAD in the mid-2000s.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MediocreAtBest
I beg to differ America West operated Long Hauls from Boston to Phoenix and also from Boston to Las Vegas before the Las Vegas Hub was discontinued. At times flights through the Las Vegas, Phoenis and Columbus hubs continued to Los Angles (and perhaps San Francisco) but I don't think it was ever non-stop.

If that service did exist, even briefly I would be quite interested, even surprised, however I would be most interested in knowing when the routes were eliminated so that we can determine if they provide a reasonable basis for an alignment in 2014.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-72019017.html

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Americ.....-a0131532184

Service ended in 2006-2007 depending on route. IAD-LAX was also operated for a year.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
On DFW-BNA at the moment, I like the DL-esque snack basket over the usual trail mix. Hadn't read this thread so it caught me by surprise.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Especially demonstrative from those who pay for domestic F, if you buy a ticket on DL/UA/VX etc, please send copies of your ticket receipts to AA and let them know why your dollars are flying away on someone else's airline.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:19 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tomofmaine
Especially demonstrative from those who pay for domestic F, if you buy a ticket on DL/UA/VX etc, please send copies of your ticket receipts to AA and let them know why your dollars are flying away on someone else's airline.
As a data point, this was a strategy employed by the FFOCUS group several times in the the early 2000's and again post HP merger. It fell on largely deaf ears.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
As a data point, this was a strategy employed by the FFOCUS group several times in the the early 2000's and again post HP merger. It fell on largely deaf ears.
Sad to hear... In my line of work, direct guest/customer loss/retention is a valuable metric.

Either way, I hope some good will come of all this. I think back to the furor behind British Airways and their new lounge caterer at LHR.. The product wasn't restored to 100% full glory, but it seemed that a decent compromise was made.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:49 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tomofmaine
Sad to hear... In my line of work, direct guest/customer loss/retention is a valuable metric.
Yes... and no. Remember, changes to the network and people disliking change elsewhere also add to traffic.

The impression I got is that these guys are pretty good at discerning bluster and the impossible to please complainers from things that matter. Where they messed up and there were consequences (e.g., the infamous "calzones" or free BoB in F) they back tracked pretty quickly... where there were folks complaining simply because they didn't like change they undid things.

They're making decisions based on OVERALL traffic, not a vocal subset making demands and faxing receipts. From a business standpoint, that's probably valid. Without the data I couldn't say if it yields the optimal results, but given their track record they probably aren't going to lose money with this approach.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
They're making decisions based on OVERALL traffic, not a vocal subset making demands and faxing receipts. From a business standpoint, that's probably valid. Without the data I couldn't say if it yields the optimal results, but given their track record they probably aren't going to lose money with this approach.
Yep. If they lose paying or upgraded F pax, that's just an excuse to cut F seats and fill the space with two Y seats. And given the Y load factors they're running these days, they'll make more money.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Can we please keep this thread to meals and discussion about the meals? There's a separate thread to discuss the service standards, F cabins, etc.

OGG-LAX
4-Sept
F Dinner

I flew LAX-OGG toward the end of September with the "old" service standard. Flew home with the new. I'll touch on the changes I experienced:

Warm nuts:

Same Hawaiian huts mix as always. New ramekins.

Appetizer, "salad" and main course:

New shrimp appetizer was added at the expense of the large salad. I hope the new salad was a catering error, as the new salad was missing:

1. dressing
2. lettuce.

Cabbage, carrots, and edamame are all fine salad garnishes, but that is not a standalone salad. Shrimp appetizer was tasty. Same bread choices as the flight out. One time use plastic salt and pepper shakers were replaced by packets.

Chicken main course was tasty enough. Herb-stuffed chicken with rice and green beans.

Full size silverware was a VERY nice improvement.

Didn't miss the old tray linen at all as it would get caught on (you name it) frequently. Didn't miss the bread plate as another plate on that tray would have been too many for the tray size.

Dessert:

Sundaes are history, replaced by a scoop of vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Ice cream was fine. I'll definitely miss the full sundae service.

Note the slimline coffee mugs. I was fine with these. They are taller than the old mugs, not quite as wide and I'm guessing hold similar amounts of actual liquid. They also allow for 2 items to be located on the drink tray, which wasn't the easiest before.

Snacks:

The snack basket was passed around approx. 90 minutes before arrival, which was a much-appreciated addition to the service that did not exist on the flight out pre-Sept 1st.

Assuming they fix the salad (and they do need to fix the salad), all in all, this was an OK service. I'll miss the large salad, but the appetizer offsets that with more variety, which I appreciate.

It was also nice to see some new meal choices on this route after years of the same offerings.

All in all, assuming the missing lettuce and dressing is found for the salad (it's unacceptable otherwise), I was fine with the appetizer/entree portion of the meal. I'll miss the sundae toppings and the lack of a fruit and cheese (healthier) option. The dessert course was the most obvious downgrade.

The snack basket was a welcome addition.

Last edited by TonySCV; Sep 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm Reason: date oopsie
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Can we please keep this thread to meals and discussion about the meals? There's a separate thread to discuss the service standards, F cabins, etc.

OGG-LAX
5-Sept
F Dinner

I flew LAX-OGG toward the end of September with the "old" service standard. Flew home with the new. I'll touch on the changes I experienced:

Same Hawaiian huts mix as always. New ramekins.

New shrimp appetizer was added at the expense of the large salad. I hope the new salad was a catering error, as the new salad was missing:

1. dressing
2. lettuce.

Cabbage, carrots, and edamame are all fine salad garnishes, but that is not a standalone salad. Shrimp appetizer was tasty. Same bread choices as the flight out. One time use plastic salt and pepper shakers were replaced by packets.

Chicken main course was tasty enough. Herb-stuffed chicken with rice and green beans.

Full size silverware was a VERY nice improvement.

Didn't miss the old tray linen at all as it would get caught on (you name it) frequently. Didn't miss the bread plate as another plate on that tray would have been too many for the tray size.

Sundaes are history, replaced by a scoop of vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Ice cream was fine. I'll definitely miss the full sundae service.

Note the slimline coffee mugs. I was fine with these. They are taller than the old mugs, not quite as wide and I'm guessing hold similar amounts of actual liquid. They also allow for 2 items to be located on the drink tray, which wasn't the easiest before.

Snacks:

The snack basket was passed around approx. 90 minutes before arrival, which was a much-appreciated addition to the service that did not exist on the flight out pre-Sept 1st.

Assuming they fix the salad (and they do need to fix the salad), all in all, this was an OK service. I'll miss the large salad, but the appetizer offsets that with more variety, which I appreciate.

It was also nice to see some new meal choices on this route after years of the same offerings.

All in all, assuming the missing lettuce and dressing is found for the salad (it's unacceptable otherwise), I was fine with the appetizer/entree portion of the meal. I'll miss the sundae toppings and the lack of a fruit and cheese (healthier) option. The dessert course was the most obvious downgrade.

The snack basket was a welcome addition.
How did you fly OGG-LAX on 5-Sept already? It's 5:15am there currently.

That's the same meal I had HNL-DFW on 1-Sept.

We had printed menus; that "salad" was called "Asian Slaw," so I don't think lettuce was ever intended for it. A real shame as I used to enjoy the big salads to/from the islands (especially with the miso dressing).

I found the chicken to be dry and flavorless (I only had a few bites, actually). The breaded coating had a synthetic flavor to it (probably because it was), and I'm just skeptical when food is ground up and made into formation (Chicken McNuggets?) since it requires glue and a whole bunch of other chemicals to keep it that way. They can also make huge batches at a time, freeze it, and save tons of money.

My rice was "well done" -- a few grains were crunchy -- which could have been an error made onboard -- but overall devoid of flavor.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:56 am

Perhaps it was my dramatically lowered expectations conditioned by previous enhancements, but I was actually positively surprised by one of the new midcon lunches (SFO-DFW).

Plenty of food with the appetizer and a decent meal. Completely shocked that someone had put some effort into thinking up the salad (ricotta salata and pine nuts in it!). Slice of cake was middling, but on the whole, thumbs up.

I'm obviously concerned about the reductions in service on short flights, but if they are taking the time (and $) to improve the meals that they do serve, that's actually a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.