Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Sundaes are history, replaced by a scoop of vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Ice cream was fine. I'll definitely miss the full sundae service.
That is inconsistent with what is offered on AA's website:

Originally Posted by American Airlines
Hawaii service

Meals on flights to / from Hawaii will differ slightly based on the length of flight.

Between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) or Chicago (ORD) and Hawaii:

Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
Bottle of water
Selection of snacks prior to arrival
Between Phoenix (PHX) or Los Angeles (LAX) and Hawaii:

Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
Pre-made sundae
Selection of snacks prior to arrival
If I were you, I'd write in about this. You're not getting the experience you were promised in writing.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
That is inconsistent with what is offered on AA's website:

If I were you, I'd write in about this. You're not getting the experience you were promised in writing.
I'm guessing vanilla and (insert other flavor here) is what they are calling a "pre-made" sundae. People have already debated plenty about whether or not "sundae" implies toppings or not. Someone else can have that debate. There were no toppings as there were pre-9/1, nor was there a fruit and cheese option, but there are now 2 flavors of ice cream where before it was just vanilla.

Originally Posted by UNITED959
We had printed menus; that "salad" was called "Asian Slaw," so I don't think lettuce was ever intended for it.
That's unfortunate, but at least dressing would have helped. Without dressing, there was no flavor to speak of. Cabbage, carrots and edamame without any spice, sauce, or dressing is basically flavorless defined.

Last edited by TonySCV; Sep 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:26 am

After all the doom and gloom, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality on my DFW-JFK flight today. The presentation is more modern, which is nice, and I found the food to be roughly comparable to prior the change.

Meal was chicken (with brown slop), rice, green beans, and potatoes. Overall, it was pretty much the same as prior to the changes, just rearranged on the plate a bit. Salad was also similar; maybe a bit more cabbage, but I don't think I would havr noticed if it hadn't been pointed out to me. There was also a beef appetizer, which was fine (replacing the shrimp, maybe? I didn't take too many flights of this length prior to the change). The bread was actually better than prior to the change. Desert was a brownie--not sure if that's a step up or a step down.

Overall, I was fine with the changes.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I had a very nice meal for breakfast LAX-DFW. Cheese Blintzes with pineapple sauce and my girlfriend had the egg and potatoes. Both were an improvement of old AA meals and upcoming breakfast flights show 2 hot options, one carb, one protein. This is a big improvement over the box of cereal option. I was not happy about the loss of muffins. NOT cool, those were very nice to have but there was still a bagel/biscuit option. Looks like transcons and Hawaii take quite a big hit though. If they would just restore Transcontinental and Hawaii service, this would not be so bad.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat;UA Gold;DL Gold;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Diamond;Marriott Gold;Hertz PC;Natl ExecElite
Was on US Express, operated by Republic, on a morning flight from MCI-DCA. This is between the 700-999 mile threshold that, according to the website, gets a "heartier snack" option including sandwiches and fruit. The offering (on a 7:30a flight) was pretzels or Milano cookies. Beverages served in plastic. No blankets or pillows.

Certainly different than the trayed breakfast I had come to expect on a shorter flight, STL-DCA. Even if you are going to cut-back, how about you live up to the policy stated on your own website?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by dcfrequentflyer
Was on US Express, operated by Republic, on a morning flight from MCI-DCA. This is between the 700-999 mile threshold that, according to the website, gets a "heartier snack" option including sandwiches and fruit. The offering (on a 7:30a flight) was pretzels or Milano cookies. Beverages served in plastic. No blankets or pillows.

Certainly different than the trayed breakfast I had come to expect on a shorter flight, STL-DCA. Even if you are going to cut-back, how about you live up to the policy stated on your own website?
I believe October 1st is the day US Express and American Envoy flights will have a uniformed meal policy. (Per their press release)
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by aero0729
I had a very nice meal for breakfast LAX-DFW. Cheese Blintzes with pineapple sauce and my girlfriend had the egg and potatoes. Both were an improvement of old AA meals and upcoming breakfast flights show 2 hot options, one carb, one protein. This is a big improvement over the box of cereal option. I was not happy about the loss of muffins. NOT cool, those were very nice to have but there was still a bagel/biscuit option. Looks like transcons and Hawaii take quite a big hit though. If they would just restore Transcontinental and Hawaii service, this would not be so bad.

Hmmm.....I am booked SFO - DFW next week, and the entree selection online is showing only "Cheese Blintzes" or "Choose Later". Since you got two options on LAX - DFW, I wonder if this is just a website glitch, or if some flights will only have one option.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Flew AA275, and AA1025 this past Friday. These were my first AA flights since 9/1. Flight 275 from MCO-MIA was as expected. Flight 1025 from MIA to CLT had a few things to note. First of all AA used to serve some kind of sparking wine, cava, or prosecco. This was mysteriously absent on this flight. Additionally, I was told no white wine was available either. The F cabin attendant was just not good. Didn't offer me any alternative beverages when what I wanted wasn't available, didn't come through the cabin often at all, seemed generally apathetic and uninterested.

The dreaded 'snack basket' made its first appearance for me. Options were minimal and in fact worse than what DL offers in its basket. The situation was made worse by the fact that the F attendant seemed more interested in conversing with one of the Y attendants rather than doing their job.

The new glasses weren't bad, though what I wanted to be poured in them wasn't available. Finally, why do people have such a hard time boarding in Miami? I understand it's slightly unconventional, but there's a closed door with a rubber mat in front of it. Is it so unreal for people to understand you have to step on said mat for the door to open?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Sorry if this has already has been answered:

1) Do AA F flyers still get to choose their meal online, 1-30 days in advance?
2) Do EXPs still get a free sandwich and drink in Economy?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Hmmm.....I am booked SFO - DFW next week, and the entree selection online is showing only "Cheese Blintzes" or "Choose Later". Since you got two options on LAX - DFW, I wonder if this is just a website glitch, or if some flights will only have one option.
Same when I chose. But there is also an egg dish on offer. Both were great options.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:33 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Explore
Sorry if this has already has been answered:

1) Do AA F flyers still get to choose their meal online, 1-30 days in advance?
2) Do EXPs still get a free sandwich and drink in Economy?
Yes to both.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Here's this evening's (September 6th) westbound service on US 701 PHL-SFO in F, my first transcon since the 9/1 changes:
  • PDBs served
  • (There was then a 1.5 hr storm delay on the tarmac in PHL, with an additional drink service)
  • After takeoff, drink service and snack basket (basket may have been to tide us over until the entrees were ready given the length of the ground delay)
  • Warm nuts as an appetizer before the tray
  • Salad
  • Meat appetizer with carmelized onions
  • Entree choice of lasagne or chicken with rice (I went for the lasagne)
  • Choice of dinner rolls (cheese bread or I think a sourdough, I went with the former)
  • Pre-made sundae as dessert

I thought the lasagne entree was surprisingly good.

Glassware and the salt and pepper holder had the new AA logo. Hot towels before and after the meal as usual. Had an acceptable chardonnay that seems better than those loaded last month, and was certainly better than one I had on a Republic E170 Friday on BNA-DCA.

Overall, not a lot of change from typical US transcon meals of late, with the exception of warm nuts being added and the replacement of the cheesecake dessert with the sundae. The cheesecakes were good and the sundae was fine, so this is probably a wash IMHO.

The first class FA, Cindy, was excellent as most are that do this route.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
I have a sfo to ord on Wednesday morning and only have cheese blintz as an option only. Hmmm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
That lasagna looks tasty! Did you happen to take a picture of the pre-made sundae? What kind of ice-cream was it, and was it a small portion (not filling the cup up), or was it sufficient in size?

The service doesn't look as nice as the old AA transcon service, but I'd have to admit it doesn't look that bad, especially with warmed nuts being served, and ice-cream being offered as a dessert vs. a blah cheesecake. Could be worse (DL doesn't have a proper transcon service, except for JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA), but could also be better (keeping AA's true transcon service with printed menus, linens, separate courses, etc).

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Here's this evening's (September 6th) westbound service on US 701 PHL-SFO in F, my first transcon since the 9/1 changes:
  • PDBs served
  • (There was then a 1.5 hr storm delay on the tarmac in PHL, with an additional drink service)
  • After takeoff, drink service and snack basket (basket may have been to tide us over until the entrees were ready given the length of the ground delay)
  • Warm nuts as an appetizer before the tray
  • Salad
  • Meat appetizer with carmelized onions
  • Entree choice of lasagne or chicken with rice (I went for the lasagne)
  • Choice of dinner rolls (cheese bread or I think a sourdough, I went with the former)
  • Pre-made sundae as dessert

I thought the lasagne entree was surprisingly good.

Glassware and the salt and pepper holder had the new AA logo. Hot towels before and after the meal as usual. Had an acceptable chardonnay that seems better than those loaded last month, and was certainly better than one I had on a Republic E170 Friday on BNA-DCA.

Overall, not a lot of change from typical US transcon meals of late, with the exception of warm nuts being added and the replacement of the cheesecake dessert with the sundae. The cheesecakes were good and the sundae was fine, so this is probably a wash IMHO.

The first class FA, Cindy, was excellent as most are that do this route.
Originally Posted by dallaspopo
I have a sfo to ord on Wednesday morning and only have cheese blintz as an option only. Hmmm
It's a glitch, affecting only eastbound routes from the West coast. Others has reported two choices on eastbound routes upthread.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:50 am

DCA-ORD was an decent omelette with sausage and potatoes. Came with a bread of choice and fresh fruit. Overall, much better than old AA breakfast.

I'm hoping the fruit cocktail earlier posters complained about was a mistake--maybe a day 1 catering issue?

Based on my two flights so far, the new catering is as good or better on flights where it wasn't cut. Plus, on flights which used to have the gourmet snack mix, the basket is an improvement.

Overall, it sounds like the losses are the shorter flights that lost meals and the transcons, and the winner is breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.