Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
I had a similar experience with a chipped glass today eastbound. It is quite bumpy today, but I wonder if they changed the way things are stored in the carts that's leading to breakage? Only the second or third time I've had that happen, so odd that it happened to someone else today, too.

As you say - be careful out there, folks!
To be clear - it's the new, US-style plates that are chipping?

I hope you took a picture and reported it. Should be easy to fix, unless the plates are cheaply manufactured, and break easily. In that case, methinks AA/US should order new plates that are more durable.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by SFO777
Meanwhile, I came prepared with a ramekin from home, just in case.
SFO777 - You travel with your own ramekin? I already held you in high regard, but you just went up a notch.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I've been through (counting this one) three mergers. Every. Single. One. has had folks making these kinds of statements. Yet, in well over a million miles of flying through all of those mergers I've never once heard someone say "Here's your dinner, I'm sorry it's gross."

What I have heard are folks who complain loudly about something and then are told "I'm sorry" by a flight attendant - why? Because they're in customer service and that's about the only thing they can do.
I don't think it's too shocking to believe that American Airlines flight attendants are now embarassed to be associated with US Airways' and their poor service standards. This is the first merger between two major airlines at total opposite ends of the service spectrum.

Yes, I know, you think US Airways is amazing, not a low cost carrier, etc., etc. We aren't going to agree.

You also apparently think it's okay that glass plates chip. You know how many glass plates I've bitten into in my years of flying? Zero. Maybe I need to watch out if I ever fly US Airways, though, so thanks for the heads up.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
SFO777 - You travel with your own ramekin? I already held you in high regard, but you just went up a notch.
-FlyerBeek
LOL. Yeah, but I didn't realize that I'd also have to bring a lime and a real glass when I fly Air Koryo Express.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MAH4546

You also apparently think it's okay that glass plates chip. You know how many glass plates I've bitten into in my years of flying? Zero. Maybe I need to watch out if I ever fly US Airways, though, so thanks for the heads up.
Except that poster was on an Eagle flight. And their catering is still the same until the end of this month. So is Eagle still using the old AA plates, or the new ones?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Except that poster was on an Eagle flight. And their catering is still the same until the end of this month. So is Eagle still using the old AA plates, or the new ones?
Old. Dougie will be happy to hear that it was thus fully depreciated, though I doubt they took it out of service anyhow.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:01 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
To be clear - it's the new, US-style plates that are chipping?

I hope you took a picture and reported it. Should be easy to fix, unless the plates are cheaply manufactured, and break easily. In that case, methinks AA/US should order new plates that are more durable.
Mine was chipped glassware. Don't recall if it had the old flag or the new eagle on it, though. Either way I let the FA know and got a fresh glass. Not the end of the world - things sometimes happen.

If it becomes a regular occurrence that's when I'd get concerned. If you take enough glasses in and out of racks you're bound to chip one at some point along the way. When that happens I'm not sure what else can be done beyond tossing the glass, apologizing, and replacing it.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I don't think it's too shocking to believe that American Airlines flight attendants are now embarassed to be associated with US Airways' and their poor service standards. This is the first merger between two major airlines at total opposite ends of the service spectrum.

Yes, I know, you think US Airways is amazing, not a low cost carrier, etc., etc. We aren't going to agree.
We've been through this before. It's not unprecedented by a long shot. But hey... keep telling yourself that and maybe it'll come true, right?

Though hey... when you get some facts that support your argument and don't rely on hyperbole and bluster, be sure to let us know.

Of course I never said - nor even implied - anything of the sort. Then again, when you've got nothing else to support your argument, just make something up. Not the first time we've seen it from you, doubtful it'll be the last.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I see a lot of nonsense and bluster in my business. It's easy to spot - and it's fairly obvious here. (if you'd like a specific example, look no further than the ultra gourmet taco that I'm supposed to ooh and ahh over because it came from the Centurion lounge. It's a greasy mess, sitting next to a pile of glop.)
Slightly off-topic: have you had the food in the Centurion Lounge? It is of excellent quality - surpassing some restaurants - and beautifully presented. Your perception, I think, is due to the fact that it's beautifully presented as a buffet, but those who take pictures of their individual servings have plated it themselves.

Back on-topic: Speaking of presentation and plating, that's one of the biggest differences between meals post 9/1 and meals pre 9/1. pmAA got a lot of the subtleties right in a lot of peoples' minds: a well-balanced meal on meal flights and a substantial snack on shorter / later flights, a thoughtful combination of ingredients (Google "American Airlines lemon thyme chicken salad"), paper menus and three-course meals on all transcons, and baked on-board cookies and biscuits. The combined meal service, while certainly not lacking in substance on flights over 1000 miles, cuts many of these corners. To many, this looks chintzy.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Slightly off-topic: have you had the food in the Centurion Lounge? It is of excellent quality - surpassing some restaurants - and beautifully presented.
I've had it, but not in DFW. I was unimpressed with the food in LAS when I was there.

Back on-topic: Speaking of presentation and plating, that's one of the biggest differences between meals post 9/1 and meals pre 9/1. pmAA got a lot of the subtleties right in a lot of peoples' minds: a well-balanced meal on meal flights and a substantial snack on shorter / later flights, a thoughtful combination of ingredients (Google "American Airlines lemon thyme chicken salad"), paper menus and three-course meals on all transcons, and baked on-board cookies and biscuits. The combined meal service, while certainly not lacking in substance on flights over 1000 miles, cuts many of these corners. To many, this looks chintzy.
I agree with you here to an extent. I don't miss the salads much on shorter flights because most of the time I'd rather work through them and eat better food on the ground. My point is that the difference between the two was/is largely presentation, as you suggest. I just don't need someone putting down linens on my tray table to make me feel special/warm and fuzzy.

Would I prefer a service that incorporated US' appetizer with AA's baked on board cookies and sauces on the side in a ramekin? Sure. I suppose that'd be nice... but neither was terribly gourmet to begin with and pretending like either was is dishonest. Some may miss the single use plastic salt and pepper shakers, but it seemed like half the time they didn't even get used and even when they did they are, to me, wasteful.

All that said, I (and the vast, vast majority) of passengers aren't changing airlines over presentation. If they did, they'd see it's all variations of the same thing. Don't like the cookies served on plates? Try Delta's prepackaged cookies tossed on the tray in F. The notion that AA was head and shoulders above everyone else and US was basically Spirit with a *A sticker on the side is simply not true.

What we've seen here is a bunch of people who don't like change and are convinced their beloved AA was a bastion of premium everything tossing out extreme hyperbole and bluster. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

Though hey... when you get some facts that support your argument and don't rely on hyperbole and bluster, be sure to let us know.
What facts are you disputing? The below are all facts.

• US Airways is a low cost carrier.
  • US Airways had industry-worst meal windows.
  • The new meals of are noticeably poorer quality and come from US Airways.
  • The new meal windows are the worst in the industry.
  • American Eagle is the only regional airline that will not be serving meals as of early next year.
  • The new meals are of noticeably smaller portions on most routes.
  • US Airways has discontinued baked on-board cookies and biscuits.
  • US Airways has discontinued tray linens

You're grasping really, really hard to justify the significant cutbacks in meal service. The difference isn't just presentation. There is a noticeable reduction in the quality of the catering - it went from AA's catering to US' catering. If this was all about linens and baked-on board cookies, people wouldn't be complaining loudly, and flight attendants wouldn't have to be apologizing to customers.

No, people aren't going to abandon AA only because of the meal service. I'm not. People are going to be abandoning AA because of an overall cheapening of the product to US Airways-standards. PMUS was never able to attract the business/premium customers that PMAA, DL and UA have been able to, and it's poor product across the board (FF program, on board product, customer service, etc.) was certainly a driving reason. Bringing that product over to the merged carrier isn't the best idea.

Last edited by MAH4546; Sep 10, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I've had it, but not in DFW. I was unimpressed with the food in LAS when I was there.

I agree with you here to an extent. I don't miss the salads much on shorter flights because most of the time I'd rather work through them and eat better food on the ground. My point is that the difference between the two was/is largely presentation, as you suggest. I just don't need someone putting down linens on my tray table to make me feel special/warm and fuzzy.

Would I prefer a service that incorporated US' appetizer with AA's baked on board cookies and sauces on the side in a ramekin? Sure. I suppose that'd be nice... but neither was terribly gourmet to begin with and pretending like either was is dishonest. Some may miss the single use plastic salt and pepper shakers, but it seemed like half the time they didn't even get used and even when they did they are, to me, wasteful.

All that said, I (and the vast, vast majority) of passengers aren't changing airlines over presentation. If they did, they'd see it's all variations of the same thing. Don't like the cookies served on plates? Try Delta's prepackaged cookies tossed on the tray in F. The notion that AA was head and shoulders above everyone else and US was basically Spirit with a *A sticker on the side is simply not true.

What we've seen here is a bunch of people who don't like change and are convinced their beloved AA was a bastion of premium everything tossing out extreme hyperbole and bluster. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'm sorry but to defend the current US meal offerings as acceptable while calling the food offered in the Centurion Lounge unimpressive really make your statements appear to lack credibility. Anyone who has experienced both knows this is simply untrue. US has turned AA into an embarrassment. So much so that even UA, the laughing stock of airlines worldwide has chosen to improve their domestic meal offering upon hearing of the disaster that is AA's new domestic soft product. The "new AA" is nothing more than US masquerading around with AA name and to me it's a disgrace having been close to the real AA for 25 years now. Poor CR Smith is probably turning in his grave.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm sorry but to defend the current US meal offerings as acceptable while calling the food offered in the Centurion Lounge unimpressive really make your statements appear to lack credibility. Anyone who has experienced both knows this is simply untrue. US has turned AA into an embarrassment. So much so that even UA, the laughing stock of airlines worldwide has chosen to improve their domestic meal offering upon hearing of the disaster that is AA's new domestic soft product. The "new AA" is nothing more than US masquerading around with AA name and to me it's a disgrace having been close to the real AA for 25 years now. Poor CR Smith is probably turning in his grave.
UA's changes were likely in the works well prior

And all their changes are doing is bringing them up to near parity w AA and DL. Quality still not great or anything.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
The notion that AA was head and shoulders above everyone else and US was basically Spirit with a *A sticker on the side is simply not true.
Oh, I totally beg to differ...

How were y'all's ubiquitous first class meals on non-transcon flights? Did you enjoy having to pay for preferred seats even if you were a CP? How about those plastic cups in F? Did you enjoy listening to a 10-minute presentation on a credit card? I could go on and on...

The notion is profoundly correct.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Don't feed the trolls.
Too bad there is no way to have the Ignore List apply to quotes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.