Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Cookies were served in the bowls and much smaller than before. Tasted different as well, so not sure if that recipe has changed.
They're no longer baked on board and are pre-made with some other kind of dough, perhaps DP's personal recipe.

That meal looks pretty much like something I would think about serving my dog. Or perhaps more like something my cat has served in reverse...

What was the little dish above the bread supposed to be?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
AA1620
ORD-RDU
B738 w/ Sky Interior

Cookies were served in the bowls and much smaller than before. Tasted different as well, so not sure if that recipe has changed.
How did the cookies taste different? Was it worse or better off than before?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
They're no longer baked on board and are pre-made with some other kind of dough, perhaps DP's personal recipe.
That was one of the best parts of the service.

That meal looks pretty much like something I would think about serving my dog. Or perhaps more like something my cat has served in reverse...
I've had better meals on UA! This was from IAD-LHR last Dec.

What was the little dish above the bread supposed to be?
It had two olives, some crumbled pieces of feta, and then some cut up veggies. Would have preferred a salad instead.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
How did the cookies taste different? Was it worse or better off than before?
Wasn't as gooey as before. I could also taste the difference in preparation (easy to tell, IMO, if its fresh or cooked and sitting for hours before in the airline kitchen)
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
That's unacceptable. I couldn't eat that. Who actually prepares these meals?? Aa or a contractor? Has aa switched to the us contractor.

I had chicken piccata last night clt-lax and It looks exactly like this dish.

AA1620
ORD-RDU
B738 w/ Sky Interior

Options were a Tarrago Chicken w/ red skin mashed 'taters and "fire roasted corn" or Ricotta Cavatelli w/ Mediterranean sauce. Pre-ordered the chicken, figuring it would be like every other AA chicken dish and taste alright.

Boy was I wrong.

This has to have been the nastiest meal I've ever had on AA. Definitely being influenced by US, as its an exact replica of a dish I had from PHX-JFK in January that seemed like it should be an economy meal.

Overall, 1/10 for the meal. I'd love for the beef tenderloin salad I had two weeks ago on this route to come back. This is a special exception route for meals, though if they're going to serve this junk, they might as well switch it to snack basket meals.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morrisunc
That's unacceptable. I couldn't eat that. Who actually prepares these meals?? Aa or a contractor? Has aa switched to the us contractor.

I had chicken piccata last night clt-lax and It looks exactly like this dish.
AA sold pieces of its wholly-owned catering firm, Sky Chefs, to LSG in the late 1990s and sold the rest to LSG in 2001.

The big catering firms worldwide are LSG Sky Chefs or Gate Gourmet. They'll prepare any meals the airlines want with any ingredients the airlines are willing to pay for - cheap ingredients or top-shelf ingredients. It's clear that Hatchet Man Hector has tampered with the specs of lots of AA meals.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a special exception route for meals, though if they're going to serve this junk, they might as well switch it to snack basket meals.
That's a disgusting looking meal.

A cynical person might say that's the plan. Make the meal as disgusting looking (and tasting) and then, after the complaints roll in, announce that it's being replaced by the gas-station vending machine sandwiches instead - and tell everyone that it's an "improvement" you asked for.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FWAAA

A cynical person might say that's the plan. Make the meal as disgusting looking (and tasting) and then, after the complaints roll in, announce that it's being replaced by the gas-station vending machine sandwiches instead - and tell everyone that it's an "improvement" you asked for.
Watch out though, you're going to offend the US apologists.

That meal looks absolutely revolting; I probably wouldn't touch it. If I was starving, I'd pick at the chicken.

I have my first experience with McDougie coming up. Can't wait.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
AA sold pieces of its wholly-owned catering firm, Sky Chefs, to LSG in the late 1990s and sold the rest to LSG in 2001.

The big catering firms worldwide are LSG Sky Chefs or Gate Gourmet. They'll prepare any meals the airlines want with any ingredients the airlines are willing to pay for - cheap ingredients or top-shelf ingredients. It's clear that Hatchet Man Hector has tampered with the specs of lots of AA meals.
So is it one of these 2 that are preparing the food for purchase meals in economy? US charges less than $10 for those and they are very good.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcbec
Did the inside of the enchilada resemble re-fried beans. Purple in color with the texture of mashed up black beans? If that is the case, what you ate was "pink slime" (aka lean finely textured beef) that was heated and chemically engineered for it to taste "good". That is not food, much less beef, and should not be served to any human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jdto8KtdwA

Now I am definitely going to stay away from any enchilada or similar meal. The chicken and shrimp were always good options but now it seems like pasta is probably the safest? Beef, which is always my goto seems like it should be avoided at all costs on the new system. What the heck was wrong with getting a piece of chicken and some sauce on the side to go with it if you like or having the chicken breaded?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Lax-Mia 777 J on Monday - nice stuffed chicken. True, about 500 extra calories in the stuffing, but easy to scrape off, tender chicken and the stuffing wasn't bad if you weren't health concious.

Mia-Lax 777 J this morning. BEWARE the Turkey spinach quiche. A bowl made up a quiche crust filled with spinach glop. Requested it be cooked more - it just was then hot glop. (my second time with it; I thought it was just undercooked last time).
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beachfan
Lax-Mia 777 J on Monday - nice stuffed chicken. True, about 500 extra calories in the stuffing, but easy to scrape off, tender chicken and the stuffing wasn't bad if you weren't health concious.
I had a stuffed chicken meal on an LAX-BDL transcon a month or so ago, it was pretty gross IMO. I ate a couple of bites and just exchanged the rest for a bunch of fruit.

Why AA hasn't opted to offer healthier options is beyond me - with the popularity of Whole Foods, natural / organic, etc it seems like it would be a no brainer to offer better options. Though with former US management at the helm I won't hold my breath.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Though I hate to say this, I'd much rather have a Smisek Taco Bell wrap or "Chicken Sandwich" than this dish. :/ Hopefully internationAAl service doesn't start to follow the trend that domestic is seeing.

Really am interested to see what happens with the chicken picatta on Monday. If its anything like this dish, I'm sending it back.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Watch out though, you're going to offend the US apologists.

That meal looks absolutely revolting; I probably wouldn't touch it. If I was starving, I'd pick at the chicken.

I have my first experience with McDougie coming up. Can't wait.
Thankfully my only two connecting airports (when flying from MCI) have great restaurants.. Guess I'll be spending more $$ at DFW/ORD for meals, or enjoying more in the Centurion Lounge. Thankfully ORD has Tortas Frontera, which is much better than any meAAl Doug could serve.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:15 pm

[QUOTE=miamigrad;23511563]Folks, please stay on topic of this thread and refrain from lodging personal commentary directed at one another. Disagreeing with someone's position is fine, but do not make personal attacks.

Posts are subject to redaction and/or deletion. Those who cannot abide by FT's TOS are subject to discipline.

Everybody's cooperation is appreciated.

Let's see how that plays out. Trolls come and go so many different ways.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Though I hate to say this, I'd much rather have a Smisek Taco Bell wrap or "Chicken Sandwich" than this dish. :/ Hopefully internationAAl service doesn't start to follow the trend that domestic is seeing.
Wouldn't be surprised if it does. US Airways never offered a true business class - just a cheap lie flat seat with premium economy class meals on pretty plates. I'm afraid that will be what AA serves in the future.

The cost of training US Airways employees on simple things like saying hello, smiling, and interacting with customers must be freaking Dougie out big time. How will he ever afford it?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AS 100K
AA1620
ORD-RDU
B738 w/ Sky Interior

Options were a Tarrago Chicken w/ red skin mashed 'taters and "fire roasted corn" or Ricotta Cavatelli w/ Mediterranean sauce. Pre-ordered the chicken, figuring it would be like every other AA chicken dish and taste alright.

Boy was I wrong.

That looks horrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.