Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Very interesting. Along with SANbound's 9/13 flight. AA223 was definitely listed as having refreshment only for yesterday. I'll be on the flight soon and I'll report back whether or not I get a full meal (although it's listed as refreshment only)

FWIW, I did voice my displeasure to AA via twitter that I was able to select chicken for my flight yet they decided to yank it. I mentioned this before but for about a week post 9/1 AA223 was listed as having full dinner and I was able to select my meal choice. Then, around 9/9, they relisted AA223 as refreshment. I'm wondering if they will still serve meals in September because they did allow people to choose their meals at some point
What was the twitter team's response? I bet something mindless like "We're sorry you're disappointed, blissworld."
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Deleted

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Sep 19, 2014 at 9:21 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Well I just flew on my first flight that didn't have the typical AA snack or
Meal but instead the "savory" snack basket. It was DISGUSTING. I've gotten better alternatives on AMTRAK in business class. The person next to me actually BOUGHT his FC ticket and doesn't know what he paid extra for. Here are some pics:

My savory option

The filling "sandwich".

A slab of "pesto", butter and some tomato thing.

Thanks Doug Parker.
Which route? Also, the pictures aren't working.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
What was the twitter team's response? I bet something mindless like "We're sorry you're disappointed, blissworld."
Yea, something like that, and they are always interested in hearing from loyal EXPs blah blah, but they have forwarded my comment to the catering department. Whatever that means.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Yea, something like that, and they are always interested in hearing from loyal EXPs blah blah, but they have forwarded my comment to the catering department. Whatever that means.
They really need to forward all comments on to Dear Leader Doug Parker and flood his inbox with complaints.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Had the "pleasure" of seeing the meal enhancements yesterday PHL-ORD (Republic), afternoon flight.

Choices were chicken salad and "three amigos" sandwiches. I choose the sandwiches................mistake.

One sandwich was turkey, one ham and one tomato. Consisted of a thanksgiving day soft dinner roll, 2 very small pieces of meat and one small circle of tomato, plus three squares of cheese on each. Horrid. Basically three cheese sandwiches. Stopped after the first one.

The saving grace was that the FA was 5*. PDB and kept the drinks flowing through out the flight. Flown with this gentlemen several times and he never dissappoints. On the PDB he warned, "careful, this one has legs. Long pour, short glass." Classic! They should find a way to clone this guy.

Gave him a couple outstanding service tickets for the effort.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by i_fly_to_much
Had the "pleasure" of seeing the meal enhancements yesterday PHL-ORD (Republic), afternoon flight.

Choices were chicken salad and "three amigos" sandwiches. I choose the sandwiches................mistake.

One sandwich was turkey, one ham and one tomato. Consisted of a thanksgiving day soft dinner roll, 2 very small pieces of meat and one small circle of tomato, plus three squares of cheese on each. Horrid. Basically three cheese sandwiches. Stopped after the first one.

The saving grace was that the FA was 5*. PDB and kept the drinks flowing through out the flight. Flown with this gentlemen several times and he never dissappoints. On the PDB he warned, "careful, this one has legs. Long pour, short glass." Classic! They should find a way to clone this guy.

You think that's bad? That's the old AA Eagle service....wait until 10/1 and enjoy that packaged box as your "meal"
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
You think that's bad? That's the old AA Eagle service....wait until 10/1 and enjoy that packaged box as your "meal"
That will only be on flights exceeding 1000 miles, come 10/1 it will be the junk food basket.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
AA 145 MIA-SAN 8:05 PM
September 13th, 2014

Juice or water PDB

Warm nuts with Jack & 7up to start (I didn't request any, though I observed other pax asking for and receiving refills on the nuts). Good service from the FA's with multiple runs through the cabin before, during, and after dinner service for refills and plate clearing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Choice of Chicken Piccata or Artichoke Ravioli. FEBO used for order taking. I was flying with Mrs. SANbound, and we had preordered one of each. They ran out of the ravioli before reaching our row, and we were in row 5, the second row to get orders taken. It seemed about 25% of the cabin had preordered.

My Chicken Piccata

[IMG][/IMG]

My better half's Artichoke Ravioli

[IMG][/IMG]

Bread basket with warm wheat or pretzel rolls passed around immediately after receiving our trays. The vegetables on the chicken piccata looked and tasted like they were out of a grocery store freezer bag, and the chicken was a little dry, but otherwise the food seemed to be of acceptable quality. I wasn't blown away by anything but the warm nuts and pretzel roll, but comforts like those are hard to mess up!

New "sundae" to finish. No toppings, but the ice cream seemed to be of good quality and was of the cookies & cream variety.

[IMG][/IMG]

The wife tells me the ubiquitous snack basket was passed about an hour prior to landing, but I fell asleep after dinner until landing, so I missed it. Duvets and pillows on our seats when boarding, which was nice as I'd feared they'd taken them away with the "enhancements". Sorry for the pic quality... it was my first time trying to photograph airplane food, and I don't think I've made it to SFO777 standards quite yet!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by SANbound
The vegetables on the chicken piccata looked and tasted like they were out of a grocery store freezer bag
Probably were, along with most of the meal, which looks disgusting sans the appetizer.

And what's with this prepackaged dressing nonsense?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The same dressing was in J on JFK/LAX yesterday afternoon, although they also provided a mini bottle of a balsamic vinaigrette type dressing.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I never thought I would say this, but the pasta options on AA seem to be the better choices these days.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I never thought I would say this, but the pasta options on AA seem to be the better choices these days.
Based on the above pictures I would have to agree. The prepackaged dressing was standard with the old snack salads from what I recall, for dinner and lunch side salads though it used to be served already dressed which I would prefer.

The 'starter' looks more like an amuse bouche than an appetizer and the ice cream looks like it lacks the components and quantity that the old sludge used to have, not even to mention the old sundae.

Also, with the picatta I would think either risotto, pasta, or even mashed potatoes would be a better option than white rice. And for the love, could we please get some kind of linens or something back to cover the tray tables?? Placing drinks and food directly onto these things really grosses me out because I KNOW they're never actually cleaned and who knows how much is now spilled on them.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I hate how it's packaged at ground level so explodes upon opening it at altitude
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:29 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by i_fly_to_much

That chicken salad is/was amongst the best lunch option in the entire AA network. I will miss it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.