Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:18 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Additional data point on meals. PHL-SAN today offered standard meal service (imagine my horror when it was served ALL AT ONCE!). Dessert offered three options - a chocolate mousse looking thing, ice cream, and a rather large cheese plate. Seemed a bit heavier on the grapes and lighter on the cheese than the pmAA offering.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Tugg
Twice now between LAX-SFO coffee has been served in a cheap-o white styrofoam cup in F. Other drinks were in glass tumblers. Anomaly or are mugs being phased out for the short flights?
The new mugs are useful only for an espresso-like quantity of liquid. Your FAs may have been like mine on my ANC-DFW flight: they deliberately substituted the styrofoam cups for my tea because they held much more hot water.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAH4546
People are going to be abandoning AA because of an overall cheapening of the product to US Airways-standards. PMUS was never able to attract the business/premium customers that PMAA, DL and UA have been able to, and it's poor product across the board (FF program, on board product, customer service, etc.) was certainly a driving reason. Bringing that product over to the merged carrier isn't the best idea.
While I would agree that US domestic F catering was below AA, even after it was improved, US' customer service in terms of GAs and FAs is no better or worse than AA's garden variety customer service experiences, and in fact has IME been much more reliable on PDAs. The lounges in PHX also had a decent free breakfast that for a long time was better than the non-standard AC offerings and CLT, PHX and LAS airport folks were generally good.

I can't really comment on the FFP, but neither can you since neither of us were active in it. @:-) Chairman's Club was too along ago to be relevant -- but it was a great program - almost like paying you to fly.

US's challenge in gaining premium traffic was always (as even you have previously pointed out) having hubs in CLT, PHX and LAS instead of ORD, MIA, JFK and LAX.

The lower yield was also why it was a lower cost product.

At the same time there is no single place to 'abandon' AA to where the grass is greener. The only alternative is to split flying and basically go for convenience over status/mileage accumulation.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Had my first meals post the change recently. I booked a xxx-PHX-ORD one way via US and a ORD-DFW-xxx via AA. As indicated in other threads, my US upgrades did not clear, but my AA ones did. Interesting, not unexpected.

I happen to get what I consider a rare lunch/lunch flights combination. This is primarily due to the ORD-DFW exceptions. You have to be very careful to avoid a 'Refreshments' flight, but a few minutes later flight was labeled as Lunch. I do have a special place in my heart for these 2 e500 'full' meal flights.

Both flights offered a PDB (of choice). First flight did the hot oshibori, but the second one did not. I think skipping this step might be even worse than PDB.

The casserole type dishes used across the board, I think are very useful and definitely allow the airline to have less types of dishes to manage. I don't think they are smaller than previous AA dishes, including the main entrée one.

The first flight had a Chicken Tarragon or pasta choice. I had the chicken which came with a cucumber-type salad and a bread (sourdough or cheese roll choice).

Felt this first chicken was okay, but not as good as other chicken dishes I have had in the past.

The second flight had a Miso Chicken or pasta choice. I had the chicken again (was not a pasta day). The salad was a normal-like salad with an Asian-style dressing on the side. Smart choice. On this flight, the flight attendant gave the sourdough to those who had the chicken and the cheese roll to the pasta folks. The miso style was the winner of the day.

I also think good choices for the stylish silverware and glassware (I was surprised that my nuts beverage was a different style glass than my meal glass).

Both had a cookie (no cake, flight not long enough). We have all seen that these are warmed and not cooked on board. This is not as a big deal to me. Not having meals on 800-1000 distance flights that are not exception are a bigger deal in my opinion.

Both closed with mints.

I feel the serving size is similar to brunch-type meals before. This might be a reduction from the Lunch labeled flights before the change.

I do think the flavor profile of the meals reflect a different culture than the AA team previously. I think this needs to be tied with significant more variety, but I do feel that something is missing. I am not quite sure what it is though.

Rasheed
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Deleted, comments meant for another thread
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
The CLT flights (except SFO, I think) are <2,200 miles so they don't get the full transcon service apparently, which is a shame. My meal was the same today as described - beef/mac and red velvet. It's fine... nothing special but definitely edible. Not sure the warm nuts vs. the snack mix and post-meal snack basket is an upgrade but in general it's a wash - I'll live without a fig bar. Mid-flight update: the passed basket is alive and well.

Then again, hard to tell what the service standard is supposed to be - our FA is far more concerned with sitting on a cart in the galley playing Candy Crush on her iPad than she is with caring for passengers.
CLTSEA today had cheese plate and ice cream
Beef enchilada was pretty good, I will say
good service too
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
I do think the flavor profile of the meals reflect a different culture than the AA team previously. I think this needs to be tied with significant more variety, but I do feel that something is missing. I am not quite sure what it is though.
I know exactly what you mean. I can't identify many particular issues with the midcon meals, but there's something not as good. I just can't put a name on it. I just feel the meals are a bit more bland.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:37 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bttc
I know exactly what you mean. I can't identify many particular issues with the midcon meals, but there's something not as good. I just can't put a name on it. I just feel the meals are a bit more bland.
pmAA meals, at least IME tended to be spicier (think chicken with a ramekin of hot sauce or a little more "bite" in the breakfast sausage). US tends to be a little more on the sweet/savory side. Might that be the difference?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Bttc
I agree. Although I am flying ORD-LGA tonight and have Chicken Tikka Masala so I will be shocked if that is bland. If it is, we're really in trouble!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
LIT-DFW no PDB - even though we sat on plane 45 minutes before pushing back. Snack mix and drinks up in air. Glad I was up front though because this flight that normally involves less than an hour on the plane ended up being almost 2.5 hours due to a weather reroute
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Meal last night clt-lax was disgusting. Chicken piccata - with brown sauce??? Salmon app-ok- a nothing salad (which I don't get because I flew same route last week and salad was good with pine nuts feta). P

How can they produce such good food in coach for sale and give such crap up front. If given the choice I would always take one of the cheese trays or pastrami sandwich over the meals up front.

Service was excellent.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
May I request that pictures of the new service be shared, as well? In particular, I'm very curious about the JFK-LAX/SFO service, as well as other transcons (that were decimated to midcon service).
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
I am currently on DFW ANC and had the "beef" in a mustard sauce with a twice baked potato and Italian green beans. I will post photos when I am back next week. I can attest that this is the single most disgusting airline meal I have ever been served in any cabin, let alone a premium cabin. The "beef" was high school cafeteria mystery meat. This has no place being served in a premium cabin. The potato was just slop. Twice baked boxed mashed potatoes at best. And the green beans didn't even resemble green beans. Vile.
Too bad to hear they screwed this one up. DFW-ANC always struck me as a cash cow. Tons of revenue F in the summer - cruises, fishing trips, etc. Seemingly always sold out up front and in the back - I don't know why they've never put a widebody on this route (though I wonder that for a lot of AA routes).

When I flew this one last year it was pretty nice. Decent service for the length of the flight, though still not really up to transcon/TATL (comparable length) standards - no arrival items, etc. Sounds like now it's been eroded down to even less.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by jghassell
CLTSEA today had cheese plate and ice cream
Beef enchilada was pretty good, I will say
good service too
Did the inside of the enchilada resemble re-fried beans. Purple in color with the texture of mashed up black beans? If that is the case, what you ate was "pink slime" (aka lean finely textured beef) that was heated and chemically engineered for it to taste "good". That is not food, much less beef, and should not be served to any human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jdto8KtdwA
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
AA1620
ORD-RDU
B738 w/ Sky Interior

Options were a Tarrago Chicken w/ red skin mashed 'taters and "fire roasted corn" or Ricotta Cavatelli w/ Mediterranean sauce. Pre-ordered the chicken, figuring it would be like every other AA chicken dish and taste alright.

Boy was I wrong.

This has to have been the nastiest meal I've ever had on AA. Definitely being influenced by US, as its an exact replica of a dish I had from PHX-JFK in January that seemed like it should be an economy meal.

Cookies were served in the bowls and much smaller than before. Tasted different as well, so not sure if that recipe has changed.

Overall, 1/10 for the meal. I'd love for the beef tenderloin salad I had two weeks ago on this route to come back. This is a special exception route for meals, though if they're going to serve this junk, they might as well switch it to snack basket meals.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Dec 18, 2014 at 10:46 am Reason: fixed image link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.