Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PP 8MM, UA 1K 1MM, DL Gold 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
And how were the new biscuits?
Not horrible, but nowhere near as tasty as the baked-on-board. They are pre-split (presumably for better heating), but heating makes them lukewarm, while baking used to make them piping hot.

It's hard to understand that the cost differences of the baked-on-board biscuits and cookies are significant enough to cause American to scuttle these signature items. The widely reported savings from Bob Crandall's decision to eliminate an olive in First Class salads was $40,000 (about $83,000 in today's dollars).

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/06/bu...-wizardry.html
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
AA1628: ORD-SEA 8:25am

Menu options appear to be the same as the last flight:
-Steel cut oatmeal
-Cheese omelette

No nuts as is the norm for breakfast flights.
And sure enough, the tray is absolutely identical to my BOS-ORD, with the exception of pineapple instead of strawberry in the fruit bowl.
The bread basket now is a roll or (the same one as the lunch rolls) or biscuit.

So BOS-ORD is an upgrade, ORD-SEA is roughly the same. But zero variety.

update: there is a "snack" service as well that consists of that disgusting package of pretzels/snack mix that they serve SFO-LAX.

Had that same meal on US Airways 1733 SFO-CLT. Took the omelette. It was edible on the top of the omelette, but the bottom fused to the dish in a way that would have taken several dozen dish washing attempts to clear off. The woman next to me devoured hers and went as far as to comment to the FA about the improved food. The FA looked at me and my half eaten plate with an almost scolding glare. "What did you think, sir?" (complete deadpan when she asked). "I guess I wasn't hungry", but I was actually thinking "I was flying CX-F a day ago, which ruined me forever for in-flight meals". Fruit was fresh though, all 3 pieces of it.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat;UA Gold;DL Gold;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Diamond;Marriott Gold;Hertz PC;Natl ExecElite
DCA-ORD, Dinner, 9.8.14

DCA-ORD retained catering, despite its less-than-700-mile status.

4:05p flight. Dinner was served.

Started with drink + warm nuts.

Dinner options were:
1. Chicken
2. Artichoke pasta

Had the chicken. It was fine; the sauce on top was fairly gloppy but had some flavor. Personally, I preferred the old-AA style of serving the sauce in a small ramekin with the main course rather than smothering the chicken in it. Next to the chicken was rice (cooked properly) and wax beans.

An appetizer was served on the side. It was a cucumber salad with a couple of tomatoes and one slice of smoked salmon. Tasty enough; previously, this route did not have an appetizer.

A salad was served as well. It was smaller than the old AA salads and less creative--just greens, 2 yellow bell pepper slices, and some red onion (often, AA salads had a grain, corn, etc.), but just fine.

Rolls were served--either a white role or a (delicious) pretzel roll.

No dessert. I suppose I didn't need the calories, but I missed something sweet (like a baked-on-board cookie) near the end of the flight. Coffee, etc. were not offered.

Was served on a plastic tray with a tray liner meant to look like a thatched placemat (very similar in style to the actual placemat used on DL flights). Full-size silverware. New glassware with AA logo; stemless wine glasses. The tray no longer comes with a glass, so I was not offered wine or water with my meal as I typically was with old AA catering.

Service was friendly.

Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by B2707
Not horrible, but nowhere near as tasty as the baked-on-board. They are pre-split (presumably for better heating), but heating makes them lukewarm, while baking used to make them piping hot.
Couldn't agree more having sampled this for myself this morning on US 1814 (PHX-PHL)

Scheduled out @ 7:05 am
Actually out @ approximately 7:45 due to flooding in the galley (seriously-someone left both doors open during the historic storms that went thru PHX this morning)
Also had an equipment change yesterday from an A321 to 757-amazed by how dense the seating was up front...I'm pretty sure a MCE seat on an AA MD-80 has more leg room than this
Also, no Gogo

PDB & hot towels
I was offered a choice of broccoli & red pepper strata or cheese blintz's but since I was almost the last pax served, not sure if there was a cereal choice, as well.
Fruit plate included melon, kiwi, orange, & red grapes.
Square plate w/paper doily for the bread choice-as stated above, biscuit on AA much better.
Mints (AA branded, btw!) before landing-hadn't seen those on any of my AA flights for several months now.

FA up front was great & very attentive throughout the flight. ^
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS G75K; Hilton Diamond
I'm usually a Delta guy but flying AA DCA/MIA/GYE at the end of this month in F/J. Haven't flown AA since the meal changes took place. What exactly is the "snack" served on flights 700-999 mi? Also, any thoughts on the halibut v. panang chicken (my choices on the intl leg).
Thanks!

Last edited by Brian716; Sep 8, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Negatives: roast beef and Mac and cheese very fatty and unhealthy, red velvet cake(I thought they were going to serve ice cream)
I thought AA/US were serving ice-cream and/or a cheese plate on all transcons? I would think LAX-CLT would count as a transcon, no?

Perhaps it was a miscater?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-PIT
AA 1250
737-800
4:20P-11:45P
September 8, 2014
Dinner

OK, have to give AA props tonight. This meal was actually an improvement over crappy pre-9/1 PIT service.
Previously catered as a Lunch flight pre 9/1, this is now a Dinner flight. ^
But the usual challenged LAX-based cabin crew. Drink and meal service from the cart.

I like the new more contemporary ramekins. Similar to Air Canada's but about twice as big, and close to the same size as the old ones.

No table cloth...

... although I did think about using my blanket.

Choice of Teriyaki Beef or Mushroom Ravioli. Warm French or Pretzel Roll.

Yeah, I'd rather have the shrimp cocktail but the proscuitto and melon appetizer was substantial and tasty although not the best presentation.
But PIT-LAX dinner flights never had an appetizer so this is a major upgrade.

Yeah, the salad is smaller but with the appetizer, not as critical. With balsamic dressing, pretty good.

Pot roast beef cut was meh, but the tasty sauce hid a lot of sins.

The delicious tiramisu was a major improvement over the basic cookie previously served on this route.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 8, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Dunno in my judgement the former AA offerings were superior, especially the presentation. This just looks hideous.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Choices for ORD-RDU later this week. Seems like an improvement over pre 9/1 meals on this route. Will update with pics once I fly.

Tarragon Chicken
Served with red skin mashed potatoes and fire roasted corn

Ricotta Cavatelli
With Mediterranean sauce
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Dunno in my judgement the former AA offerings were superior, especially the presentation. This just looks hideous.
I agree and is it just me or are the entree portions for all the post 9/1 flights I have seen about half the size are they were originally?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
What a sad presentation IMHO. I know it's just "airplane food," but the pre-9/1 presentation was much more elegant. I mean, I had linens on my tray table on an Eagle midcon flight just two days ago...

Can anyone tell me if the tray liner is "real" or if it is paper? It looks like paper, but I guess I was hoping that HPdbaUSdbaAA would retain at least some nice touches...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat;UA Gold;DL Gold;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Diamond;Marriott Gold;Hertz PC;Natl ExecElite

Can anyone tell me if the tray liner is "real" or if it is paper? It looks like paper, but I guess I was hoping that HPdbaUSdbaAA would retain at least some nice touches...[/QUOTE]

It's paper.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
DFW-ORD Breakfast 10/9

Pre-order shows Option of:

Bruschetta Omelette
Served with Sicilian red potatoes and chicken apple sausage
French Toast Strata
With cinnamon peach compote and chicken sausage
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Originally Posted by captaink
Pre-order shows Option of:

Bruschetta Omelette
Served with Sicilian red potatoes and chicken apple sausage
French Toast Strata
With cinnamon peach compote and chicken sausage
My LGA-DFW on Thursday morning is the same option. I have pre-ordered the French Toast. I hope to be able to report back with pictures.

I am also continuing up to ANC. F choices are "mustard beef" or Cheese Tortellini. I've pre-ordered the beef, which has been covered up thread.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I think this is the case for international as well? I have a longhaul flight next week, so will report back then, but hoping it has remained unchanged and they are using high quality foods.
Correct... catering is to be aligned on Europe/South America flights in November. There is no alignment to be done in Asia, as US doesn't serve the continent, but that catering is to be upgraded in January.

Originally Posted by uncguy85
Flew from ORD-DFW this morning and was pleasantly surprised that this route has actually been upgraded in terms of breakfast service. The old 'Continental' breakfast consisted of a tiny cup of yogurt, fruit, and a choice of pastries.

The new choices today were:
+ Cheese Omelette served with roasted potatoes and turkey sausage
+ Oatmeal with dried fruit on side

Both came with sliced fruit and the option to have a biscuit. This is a big upgrade for this route; I used to never eat breakfast as I try to avoid carbs. The omelette and sausage were actually quite decent.
The changes, as evidenced here, were not all negative... There is no more continental breakfast (save for the rare double-catered overnighting aircraft at stations like RNO and SMF), and there are no more "snack" services... those flights long enough that used to be served a snack between meal times have been upgraded to full hot meal flights. It's good to see some people at least acknowledging the positive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.