Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 1,298 miles (2:45 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entre followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That lasagna looks good, and, in contrast to some of the other elements, it's a generous portion.

My criticism of that meal follows:

1. The salad is, well, tiny. I don't demand an "Elaine Benes" Big Salad before dinner, but that salad is about the size of an international economy salad (where tiny portions are expected), not a salad befitting a six hour flight in domestic F. It looks like a salad the FAs would assemble for a child, not an adult.
It was on the smaller side, but not a significant departure from before.

2. IMO, the warm nuts were delivered late. They aren't an "appetizer," that was the beef dish on your tray. The warm nuts are a cocktail snack and should be served with the post-takeoff drink service. When I have dinner at a bar, the bartender makes sure I have the nuts/pretzels/whatever when he serves my drink, not right before my dinner is served.
I may not have characterized the timing properly in my write up by using the word "appetizer". It was delivered with a drink service after the entree orders were taken. This didn't seem an unusual time for them.

3. The cheesy roll looks delicious - were seconds offered? It's prepared to the same scale as the salad - like a child's portion. Hope you can get more than one.
It was good. The FA offered to provide more as they do on the transatlantics in business, but I was full enough with dessert still on the way, so I didn't ask for any.

Want people to pay for F instead of paying for F on UA or VX (both of which appear to have dinner flights to SFO as well)? Up the game a little in F.

The meal looks great, but it doesn't look like a First Class dinner for a six hour transcon flight. It looks like a dinner/snack well-suited for a 1000-1200 mile mid-con flight.
While I can see where you're coming from, at least for me it was an appropriate serving size. Obviously different people have differing appetites.

I'll be able to critique breakfast later this week provided I don't sleep through it, something I have been known to do ...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Here are my choices for my first post 9/1 flight, on LGA-ORD this coming week:

1) Chimichurri Beef Enchiladas
Served with rice and black beans

2) Bowtie Pasta
With pesto Alfredo sauce, roasted tomatoes and chives

So far looks like the same type of offering as before (granted this is a carve out route). I'm guessing the big change on this route will be no mixed nuts before the meal and no cookie after the meal?
Why would that be the case? Don't exception flights still get the same service as 1000-1299 mile flights which include the nuts and cookie?

Btw - what has happened post-9/1 with glassware on non meal flights?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
And how were the new biscuits?
I can't compare because I always ask for Muffin before.
I do know I miss the hot muffin.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
AA 10 LAX-JFK Early RedEye J class

First flight with the new meals, although this route is one of the exceptions.

PDB was the water/OJ/champagne in the plastic stem glasses.

The dishes were the new ones pictures elsewhere. Nuts were warmed, although not super hot. Nuts and drink and food served all at once within the first hour after takeoff.

One of the late night options was more substantial than I remember from past red-eyes. It was a full hot plate with crusted chicken with sweet potatoes and peas. The other two were caesar salad with a chicken skewer and soup, or the usual fruit and cheese. I had the hot chicken and it was fine. It came with bread and a small salad and a tub of 3 Twins salted caramel ice cream.

I don't know if there were cookies as I slept on and off after I ate. They did come around really close to arrival with the yogurt bottles.

I like the new main plating - the old oval dishes that went from oven to your tray had all the items congealing together a lot of the time. The main course for meals I had on this trip seemed to be presented in a nicer way due to the new plating.

Other than a delay after boarding for a couple of things, an uneventful evening. Made up most of the delay in the air.

Last edited by makfan; Sep 8, 2014 at 2:33 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
AA 163 JFK-SFO J Class

Flew this Saturday night. J was about 12/20. Having two seats to oneself is heaven.

It was a long night at JFK. AA 164 from SFO diverted to BUF. They took our assigned plane (which had been sitting at JFK all day) to operate an LAX flight and gave as the plane from 164 when it was able to take off and continue to JFK. We boarded late and they had all the F and J passengers stand in the jet bridge because they only catered the plane from the rear door and had to move carts back and forth. They let us board in little spurts when the aisle was clear. We got off the gate an hour late and it took nearly an hour to get in the air due to heavy traffic and delays for nearby thunderstorms.

Back to the food.

No PDB due to the screwy boarding. Water bottles passed out before gate departure, and Bose headsets passed out during our stay on the taxiway (although we were moving except for the first 10 minutes or so).

In many ways, it seemed unchanged. Warm nuts with the first round. Menus before departure. Trays were different, but still had a cloth for the tray table and a cloth on the actual tray. I like the new dishes, personally. Still got salad an appetizer and bread basket. Then they cleared the first round and brought out the mains. Had the filet which had a pink center. Finally the sundaes with the same choices or fruit/cheese plate. Did notice no fruit salad option. After I woke up a from a good nap, the fruit and goody basket was sitting on a cart near the lav. Warm cookies brought about an hour before landing, but only on napkins instead of little plates. Choice of chocolate chip or sugar, and they seemed like the old baked-on-board cookies. We had a good crew that got everything served pretty quickly (given that we weren't airborne until 9:40 pm, this was appreciated). Never brought any carts in the aisle. I missed the hot towel as I dozed off during the climb and they were picking up the used ones when I woke up.

Last edited by makfan; Sep 8, 2014 at 2:32 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by sts603
Why would that be the case? Don't exception flights still get the same service as 1000-1299 mile flights which include the nuts and cookie?

Btw - what has happened post-9/1 with glassware on non meal flights?
I will report back on 9/11 when I fly
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by makfan

In many ways, it seemed unchanged.
JFK-SFO is largely unchanged. Didn't even go to US' cheap catering. Kept pre-9/1 AA catering.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by MAH4546
JFK-SFO is largely unchanged. Didn't even go to US' cheap catering. Kept pre-9/1 AA catering.
I think this is the case for international as well? I have a longhaul flight next week, so will report back then, but hoping it has remained unchanged and they are using high quality foods.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
Flew from ORD-DFW this morning and was pleasantly surprised that this route has actually been upgraded in terms of breakfast service. The old 'Continental' breakfast consisted of a tiny cup of yogurt, fruit, and a choice of pastries.

The new choices today were:
+ Cheese Omelette served with roasted potatoes and turkey sausage
+ Oatmeal with dried fruit on side

Both came with sliced fruit and the option to have a biscuit. This is a big upgrade for this route; I used to never eat breakfast as I try to avoid carbs. The omelette and sausage were actually quite decent.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm bit buzzled with the cookies and bisquits; since AA is still offering them, what are they saving when not baking them onboard? Freshly baked cookies have always been one of the highlights of my flights.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
I'm bit buzzled with the cookies and bisquits; since AA is still offering them, what are they saving when not baking them onboard? Freshly baked cookies have always been one of the highlights of my flights.
Maybe pre-cooked are less prone to waste in the catering kitchens...?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
First flight post sept 1 lax to clt yesterday. Noticeable upgrade to old f food on us.

Pros: warm nuts, LOVE the new wine glasses, salad was good quality (feta, pine nuts, strawberry, mixed greens, really good appetizer (chilled chicken with green sauce and Kus Kus, very nice bread selection.

Negatives: roast beef and Mac and cheese very fatty and unhealthy, red velvet cake(I thought they were going to serve ice cream)

All in all I would have been happiest just asking for an extra appetizer for my entre. I was in 4f so was last to be served and still had my first choice. Other entre was vegetable pasta - looked gross.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
First US experience today. Ugh.

Booked DEN-LAX-PIT on AA.com with DEN-LAX now on US metal. Although I was able to grab the last F seat at T-24, I couldn't complete check-in and was instructed to check-in at the US counter at the airport. 10 minutes in line and I finally got my BP. Amazingly, it said Pre-Check. Admirals Club today? Fuhgettaboutit, as my US flight departed from a totally different concourse, Gate B17, somewhere near Siberia. Clueless GAs twice called boarding, once before the crew had even arrived and then before said crew was ready. Sara Silverman sighting??

Denver-LAX
US 2678
CR9
12:10P-1:25P (sked)
12:45P-1:45P (actual)
September 8, 2014
Refreshments

Pleasant crew with open bar PDB and frequent refills. Once in the air... plastic glasses and no limes for my G&T. Why am I not surprised?

And lunch...

Meanwhile, I came prepared with a ramekin from home, just in case.
Yeah, the mixed nuts from the snack basket really fills up the ramekin.

My backup supply from Walgreens...

Time for lunch, which I would have received on AA pre 9/1 on this two and a half hour lunch-time flight. But only $19 for a delicious Asian Chicken Salad from Elway's.

Mrs. SFO was right. Next time, fly United on this route.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SFO777
First US experience today. Ugh.

Booked DEN-LAX-PIT on AA.com with DEN-LAX now on US metal. Although I was able to grab the last F seat at T-24, I couldn't complete check-in and was instructed to check-in at the US counter at the airport. 10 minutes in line and I finally got my BP. Amazingly, it said Pre-Check. Admirals Club today? Fuhgettaboutit, as my US flight departed from a totally different concourse, Gate B17, somewhere near Siberia. Clueless GAs twice called boarding, once before the crew had even arrived and then before said crew was ready. Sara Silverman sighting??

Denver-LAX
US 2678
CR9
12:10P-1:25P (sked)
12:45P-1:45P (actual)
September 8, 2014
Refreshments

Pleasant crew with open bar PDB and frequent refills. Once in the air... plastic glasses and no limes for my G&T. Why am I not surprised?

And lunch...

Meanwhile, I came prepared with a ramekin from home, just in case.
Yeah, the mixed nuts from the snack basket really fills up the ramekin.

My backup supply from Walgreens...

Time for lunch, which I would have received on AA pre 9/1 on this two and a half hour lunch-time flight. But only $19 for a delicious Asian Chicken Salad from Elway's.

Mrs. SFO was right. Next time, fly United on this route.
Pathetic excuse for first class service on a 2.5 hour lunch flight. Thanks for the report.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Pathetic to see how US Airways is destroying American. DEN-LAX was always a decent meal and great service when on Eagle metal. Now this? So sad. And on junk US Airways/Mesa planes, to boot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.