Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Dunno in my judgement the former AA offerings were superior, especially the presentation. This just looks hideous.
It looks like a trans-Atlantic coach meal on pretty plates. And seeing how this US Airways we are talking about, that might be exactly what it is.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
My LGA-DFW on Thursday morning is the same option. I have pre-ordered the French Toast. I hope to be able to report back with pictures.

I am also continuing up to ANC. F choices are "mustard beef" or Cheese Tortellini. I've pre-ordered the beef, which has been covered up thread.
I chose the French toast as well. Coming over from DL, it certainly looks nicer than the usual Cheerios that every DL flight seems to offer. (I don't fly for work, just leisure, so I'm not too worried about the lack of a "healthy" option)
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
PIT-DFW
AA 1469
MD-80
6:10P-8:05P
September 9, 2014
Dinner

Looks like LAX-PIT was an anomaly only because it was recoded from Lunch to Dinner. Back to reality tonight on PIT-DFW with even the FA apologizing. Same choices as last night. Without the starter, this is one skimpy meal. Can you say hello US? One pass at the Teriyaki Beef last night was enough to drive me to the pasta tonight.

Without the starter, the salad is woefully inadequate compared to pre 9/1 PIT-DFW meals.

Ravioli was OK, helped by lots of some kind of cheese or cheese-like substance.

Chocolate chip cookie was actually pretty good and moist even though it was not baked fresh. Our FA heated the cookie to make it close.

Beautiful sunset on approach to DFW.

One bit of good news tonight is that we pulled into D28, close enough for real food at The Centurion Lounge. I may even pass on dinner on my next PIT-DFW and just eat here, or once I re-qualify for EXP, just hold my nose, fly nonstop on United and get home 4 hours earlier.

Yo Dougie, you know you have a problem when your FAs are apologizing for what they now have to serve.

Almost forget. Best PIT pic from today.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 10, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by SFO777
Back to reality tonight on PIT-DFW with even the FA apologizing. Same choices as last night. Without the starter, this is one skimpy meal. Can you say hello US.
It's good to see some people acknowledging the obvious ...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Worst beef ever served on a plane

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-new-catering/

One picture is worth a thousand pepto bismals
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Oops. Deleted.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
Worst beef ever served on a plane

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-new-catering/

One picture is worth a thousand pepto bismals
Talk about your "looks the same going in as it does coming out"
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:59 am

Well I really outdid myself. People have always told me that I eat everything but the plate, and last night I finally upped my game and did eat the plate. AA 4364 STL-DCA, enjoying the fine Eagle offering of cold chicken stuffed with mystery paste when I took a huge bite of something that shattered into a million pieces. Only after a few minutes of exploration and spitting out pieces of ceramic did I notice the nickel-sized chip in my dinner plate. Guess the turbulence got to it. Be careful out there, folks!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: EXP
Stay away from the beef enchilada

Just flew MIA-SJU. The contents in the enchilada did not resemble anything remotely closs to beef. It looked like pink slime that was cooked in a microve and had a purple-ish color. I usually eat and even enjoy AA meals but this by far was the most horrific plate of "food" I have ever been served.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jcbec
Just flew MIA-SJU. The contents in the enchilada did not resemble anything remotely closs to beef. It looked like pink slime that was cooked in a microve and had a purple-ish color. I usually eat and even enjoy AA meals but this by far was the most horrific plate of "food" I have ever been served.
Please report this to AA via CS, Twitter, and Facebook. Hope you took a picture.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:18 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I thought AA/US were serving ice-cream and/or a cheese plate on all transcons? I would think LAX-CLT would count as a transcon, no?

Perhaps it was a miscater?
The CLT flights (except SFO, I think) are <2,200 miles so they don't get the full transcon service apparently, which is a shame. My meal was the same today as described - beef/mac and red velvet. It's fine... nothing special but definitely edible. Not sure the warm nuts vs. the snack mix and post-meal snack basket is an upgrade but in general it's a wash - I'll live without a fig bar. Mid-flight update: the passed basket is alive and well.

Then again, hard to tell what the service standard is supposed to be - our FA is far more concerned with sitting on a cart in the galley playing Candy Crush on her iPad than she is with caring for passengers.

Last edited by McFlyPHL; Sep 10, 2014 at 3:32 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
Yo Dougie, you know you have a problem when your FAs are apologizing for what they now have to serve.
Yeah... I'm sure all the FA's are apologizing completely unprompted. Just like no one is eating the food and mothers are crying in the aisle and people's stomachs are exploding immediately on arrival.

Am I supposed to be impressed by the lackluster, greasy looking taco and pile of glop from the centurion lounge, too?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
<snip> ...when I took a huge bite of something that shattered into a million pieces. Only after a few minutes of exploration and spitting out pieces of ceramic did I notice the nickel-sized chip in my dinner plate. Guess the turbulence got to it. Be careful out there, folks!
I had a similar experience with a chipped glass today eastbound. It is quite bumpy today, but I wonder if they changed the way things are stored in the carts that's leading to breakage? Only the second or third time I've had that happen, so odd that it happened to someone else today, too.

As you say - be careful out there, folks!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Yeah... I'm sure all the FA's are apologizing completely unprompted.
I wouldn't be surprised at all. What they are serving is an embarrassment. I would apologize, too, if I was serving that garbage and was used to serving something infinitely superior.

There have been multiple reports here and elsewhere of AA FA's apologizing to customers when serving these things. Why is that hard to believe?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
There have been multiple reports here and elsewhere of AA FA's apologizing to customers when serving these things. Why is that hard to believe?
I've been through (counting this one) three mergers. Every. Single. One. has had folks making these kinds of statements. Yet, in well over a million miles of flying through all of those mergers I've never once heard someone say "Here's your dinner, I'm sorry it's gross."

What I have heard are folks who complain loudly about something and then are told "I'm sorry" by a flight attendant - why? Because they're in customer service and that's about the only thing they can do.

Further supporting the notion that all this is a bunch of hot air, the folks who swore up and down they were booking away immediately and faxing receipts? Guess what - they're still here, still complaining, and still flying.

I see a lot of nonsense and bluster in my business. It's easy to spot - and it's fairly obvious here. (if you'd like a specific example, look no further than the ultra gourmet taco that I'm supposed to ooh and ahh over because it came from the Centurion lounge. It's a greasy mess, sitting next to a pile of glop.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.