Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 1,298 miles (2:45 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entre followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Actual, real life flight attendants have posted elsewhere about their embarrassment at the new gas-station sandwiches (lite-bites crap) and the overall cheapening of the meals on the AA side. The early reports and photos show a pathetic excuse for first class service.
I just completed a DFW-MSP flight and it was the snack basket stuff. This is in stark contrast to last Friday from MSP-DFW, when it was fruit on a real plate with yogurt, served with a warm croissant on the side.

The FA asked people how they liked the new snacks. After three concurrent negative responses, she stopped asking.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
With AA's "overly generous" meal policies, the two airlines managed to earn $1.9 billion (excl special items) in the first six months. Revenues are growing and the catering expenses aren't weighing down profits. For part of those six months, some legacy US routes got meals for the first time.

So now, eight months into the year, AA's meals must be trimmed to help pay for the introduction of meals to the low-fare US side of things.

Doesn't sound like a recipe for financial success, but then I'm not the one paid tens of millions a year.

A wiser choice would have been to introduce AA's meal policies to the US side ASAP following the merger. Then, on Sept 1, improvements to the legacy AA standards and the US side - say, meals on flights longer than 550 or 600 miles. One-up the competition instead of being the only legacy cutting first class meals.

In support of what you're saying: They won my business from United that way. Personally, I'm in complete agreement with you here.

The counterpoint I see discussed a lot, is that AA hasn't exactly stuck it out in as many direct markets where they have to coexist side-by-side with low-fare competition -- at least to the extent that they would otherwise. Much like the pre-HP USAir/ways, Southwest and others have staked a claim in many of the airports and markets where AA used to have strongholds. Conventional wisdom both at AA and at USAir circa 1990's was to go after a different market segment, which works great inside the scope of your own business, but what about in a merger?

Sure, AA's efforts to cater to the premium travelers in its current markets is very successful. Do we just cut off the US routes where the margins are smaller? If so, then haven't we managed to fail the same way every previous AA and most previous US mergers (for various reasons) did?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
I encourage everyone be certain to Tweet your thoughts to @AmericanAir

MO
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Where the NO LIKE button?

MO
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
My flight attendant's response yesterday when I asked about the new meals was "today we became US Airways" I thought, well you got what you asked for. I dont feel bad for embarrassed flight attendants, they begged for USAir and their management to take over without knowing anything about the service level they are known for.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:50 pm

Just had the experience of the new meals. Flight AA out of DFW to ORD. Food was a bunch of horribly-looking grapes and some yoghurt. I begged for couch food instead and got some hummus. At least the FA was nice enough to accept that. Kudos for that FA.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by formeraa
I'm sure it wasn't a "bean counter". I'm positive the F&B decisions were made by so-called "business analysts" with MBAs.
You couldn't be more spot on. Unfortunately for the business analysts, it's next-to-impossible to calculate the impact these actions have on peoples' long-term decisions. Sure, they're saving a little money here and there with the cuts, and sure, their internal metrics may not initially see much of a blip in terms of booked revenue. However, there is a long term hit to the brand image. People like me, who once booked AA automatically because I believed in the turnaround and AA's premium reputation versus the other legacy carriers, are now saying, "Gee, what's the sense in loyalty now? I don't feel the same pride in the brand. You're giving me a degraded product, and if I'm going to book into F anyway, why be so faithful to AA?" Over time, that does hurt the bottom line, and those types of feelings can't be quantified. As Bob Farrell once said in his now famous book, "Give them the pickle."
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:08 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by SkedGuy
You couldn't be more spot on. Unfortunately for the business analysts, it's next-to-impossible to calculate the impact these actions have on peoples' long-term decisions. Sure, they're saving a little money here and there with the cuts, and sure, their internal metrics may not initially see much of a blip in terms of booked revenue. However, there is a long term hit to the brand image. People like me, who once booked AA automatically because I believed in the turnaround and AA's premium reputation versus the other legacy carriers, are now saying, "Gee, what's the sense in loyalty now? I don't feel the same pride in the brand. You're giving me a degraded product, and if I'm going to book into F anyway, why be so faithful to AA?" Over time, that does hurt the bottom line, and those types of feelings can't be quantified. As Bob Farrell once said in his now famous book, "Give them the pickle."
+1 - Since the meal annoucement, I have booked coach on my next two trips and am playing upgrade roulette. The new product is not worth paying for IMHO. Multiply my decision by hundreds or thousands....
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:11 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I certainly hope those of you unhappy are all pressuring Customer Service, and to the extent you have corporate travel managers, having them press their AA reps (which can be more effective).
I actually contacted customer service about an upcoming LAX-MCO flight and why the cutback in catering. They told me to call Res since they would be able to explain to me.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkedGuy
Agree. I've got a few AA flights left to re-qualify for EXP but that's it for me and AA this year. I just canceled a November AA trip and rebooked on UA despite no status. I simply booked a discounted First ticket that didn't cost much more than my original AA Y ticket.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by SFO777
Agree. I've got a few AA flights left to re-qualify for EXP but that's it for me and AA this year. I just canceled a November AA trip and rebooked on UA despite no status. I simply booked a discounted First ticket that didn't cost much more than my original AA Y ticket.
Feel the same way - the new meals, along with impending reductions in size of the first class cabin provide, little, if any, incentive to remain loyal.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Feel the same way - the new meals, along with impending reductions in size of the first class cabin provide, little, if any, incentive to remain loyal.
I think there was a book called, "He's Just Not That Into You."

The airlines believe that in an economy that has been fairly strong in terms of travel they don't really need you. First Class domestic fares are getting discounted so they are enticing. SFO777 - your purchase of the UA ticket proves the point. Then segmenting the market the other way, $95 for a Visa card that gives you priority boarding, a couple lounge passes and first bag free. Wow, if we make 3 trips a year it pays for itself - and if we go twice, we are getting priority boarding and lounge passes!!! Woo Hoo!! With reduced size F cabins, fill them up with people who will buy up just to free themselves from the scrum - boom done - there are a few upgrades left here and there. Then multiply $95 x 1 million cardholders = Right to the Bottom Line. The banks make their money on the interest.

Now when the economy tanks you both will be important again. Right now, the airlines just not that into you. @:-)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe food in FC is the item that pushes me away from AA, but today, for the first time in 2.5 years (since I came over from UA), I thought to myself, "hmmm...do I keep going with AA, or should I go back to UA, where I already have 1.4 million miles and lifetime gold?"

Make no mistake, UA is not attractive at all from a service offering.

But it only takes a few small changes for me to think it's just not worth the "torture" to re-qualify for EXP, year after year.

If this is a sign of things to come, it makes me want to cash in my chips.

I'm really getting to the point where all this status stuff is B.S., and that paying for premium cabins on the cheapest carrier seems like the best option.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UNITED959

I'm really getting to the point where all this status stuff is B.S., and that paying for premium cabins on the cheapest carrier seems like the best option.
Bing, bing, bing --- right answer...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UNITED959

^ I also agree with this sentiment and this has been the way I have approached my air travel the past 18 months and it was quite frankly a bit freeing not having to play upgrade roulette. What I will state is that I have been willing to pay a modest premium for American versus United (the later I have been avoiding like the plague) and all things more or equal between Delta and American I would go with American. This tickey tack stuff with the meal tinkering will definitely eliminate that preference because at least now Delta has the best record of getting from Point A to Point B on time and with the lowest cancellations and at least I get my damn PDB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.