Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 1,298 miles (2:45 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entre followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA PP 8MM, UA 1K 1MM, DL Gold 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Is anyone else having issues in seeing the pre-order options? It is not something viewable anymore for my upcoming reservations.
I have not had that particular problem, but have had the problem of not being able to save the selection once I make it.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:37 pm

I have a friend who works for AA and they told me to not be wowed by the changes on 11/18. Supposedly not much is changing for the menus but the timing/miles might change for meal times. I don't know if it's true or not but we'll find out soon.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cubs105
I have a friend who works for AA and they told me to not be wowed by the changes on 11/18. Supposedly not much is changing for the menus but the timing/miles might change for meal times. I don't know if it's true or not but we'll find out soon.
If true, this would be very disappointing. The meal quality is the biggest problem and needs to be improved significantly in order to be acceptable.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
If true, this would be very disappointing. The meal quality is the biggest problem and needs to be improved significantly in order to be acceptable.
Not sure why this should really be a surprise. Consider their track record. They say they get it, then (supposedly) throw us a bone and maybe we'll shut up and won't shop around. I've just flown four Etihad flights in the past week, two long haul F and two short haul J. Simply amazing. Even short haul EY beats AA international First. Why anyone would fly USdbaAA, or any US carrier for that matter, outside of the US is beyond me.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PP 8MM, UA 1K 1MM, DL Gold 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
That report ties well with the reports from those selecting meals post 11/18 that the menus seem the same as the current ones.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Simply amazing. Even short haul EY beats AA international First. Why anyone would fly USdbaAA, or any US carrier for that matter, outside of the US is beyond me.
And now in other news,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=butZyxI-PRs
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since comparative pics are apparently not permitted in this thread so a narrative will have to suffice, if allowed. Currently flying UA from IAD-DEN and the UA dinner was better than any post 9/1 USdbaAA meal I've had.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Since comparative pics are apparently not permitted in this thread so a narrative will have to suffice, if allowed. Currently flying UA from IAD-DEN and the UA dinner was better than any post 9/1 USdbaAA meal I've had.
Will you be posting a pic of this meal in the UA forum? If not please do so that those of us who are interested can view it in the appropriate thread.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Will you be posting a pic of this meal in the UA forum? If not please do so that those of us who are interested can view it in the appropriate thread.
posted here
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Currently flying UA from IAD-DEN and the UA dinner was better than any post 9/1 USdbaAA meal I've had.
What a shame, and I agree. I fly WAS-LAX quite frequently. Sometimes on AA and sometimes on UA. Until 2 months ago, I used to dread that UA hoisin beef and noodle entree. Now I look forward to it (the exact same dish) compared to what AA is offering. At least with respect to catering, it's amazing the speed at which AA can go from best to worst. After a some terrible catering last month flying AA LAX-IAD in paid-F, I finally contacted AA (my first catering complaint to them in 15 years of frequent travel). It's now well past 11/1 and I still don't see any changes, as promised by AA.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Flew DFW-OGG end of October....

and, yes, that really is the "salad" in the upper left.
Wow!

The salad shrank BIG time on that route, from a very hearty entree-size salad to the pathetic thing that looks like a garnish for a burger.

At least they've kept the miso vinaigrette dressing. [well at least your salad was supposed to come with salad dressing]

All plated together ala USAirways style on an 8hr flight.

How sad.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Finally, breakfast DFW-DTW. Not sure what the meat was. Could have been a hot dog, bratwurst, or something else. Overall, it wasn't bad. Keep in mind, these are all post 9/1 offerings and not the new service scheduled for 11/18.
The casing on that meat is too thin for it to be a true sausage.

Another poster claimed he was told it was turkey sausage.

The meat in that pic is a sliced hot dog.

It could be a turkey dog though. [technically classified as a type of sausage]

A freakin' sliced hot dog served for breakfast in "First Class"!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
The thing that is bugging me is... why did management pretty much convert AA meal service into US meal service, wholesale? I mean, I understand a merger is going to translate into cuts and some service downgrades, but when UA and CO merged, they at least improved pmUA transcontinental service by introducing sundaes and appetizers (which pmUA didn't offer pre-merger, except p.s. JFK-LAX/SFO), as well as brought aboard the snack basket on pmCO flights. They even gave UA F trays linens; the pmUA tray wasn't covered by a linen cloth. Granted, the current UA F meals/serving standards are meh, but they at least merged the service a bit more reasonably, IMHO.

Yes, AA lunchtime midcon flights gained appetizers. Yes, US flights saw lower window thresholds for meals (not by much, though). Yes, US flights now get ice-cream on transcontinental flights and longer midcons, as well as Hawaii flights. Yes, AA's former meh continental breakfast service on shorter flights has been replaced with full breakfasts. Those are the only improvements I can think of. Everything else has been downgrades and cuts.

What really bothers me is, why is AA so insistent on using the pmUS presentation for the most part on domestic flights and now, international J? Why not combine aspects from both carriers ala UA/CO, or go for a completely brand-new look and style: a "refreshing new presentation to celebrate our merger!" The problem is, pmUS presentation and meals weren't popular or well-liked at all. AA, OTOH, was. It would've made more sense for AA to just use the AA presentation, or a completely new presentation to start afresh. The square pmUS dishes and utensils aren't horrible, but they just scream... US Airways. That, and the horrible paper liner that graces domestic flights. It doesn't inspire confidence in customers that this merger is a merger of equals/keeping AA's premium image. Where is the creativity? At the very least, if they kept the pmAA navy blue tray linen and kept the US dishes, that'd be a compromise, a merging of service standards. Instead, they pretty much went stark 100% US Airways overnight.

I just don't understand it. Would it really have hurt them that much to just keep the AA look and feel for F service, or just to start a new look and feel, aka DL post-merger? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Nov 12, 2014 at 12:36 am
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I just don't understand it. Would it really have hurt them that much to just keep the AA look and feel for F service, or just to start a new look and feel, aka DL post-merger? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
I get the frustration, believe me. It would have hurt financially. They would have needed to cough up more cash with little likelihood of improving returns on the US planes, given that even a better meal isn't going to make for an F experience one wants to pay for on those with the bare-bones feel and amenities overall. Might want to think about venting on the other thread
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
I get the frustration, believe me. It would have hurt financially. They would have needed to cough up more cash with little likelihood of improving returns on the US planes, given that even a better meal isn't going to make for an F experience one wants to pay for on those with the bare-bones feel and amenities overall. Might want to think about venting on the other thread
No, it would not have "hurt" financially, it would have just cost more money. Huge difference.

Also my understanding has always been that the quality (the cut of chicken, the cost of the fruit, etc.) is improving on 11/18, not the actual menus. And honestly, that's fine, the menus don't sound unappetizing, the actual food being served is disgusting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.