Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Also my understanding has always been that the quality (the cut of chicken, the cost of the fruit, etc.) is improving on 11/18, not the actual menus. And honestly, that's fine, the menus don't sound unappetizing, the actual food being served is disgusting.
+1

As far as the serving ware is concerned; it is totally irrelevant to me whether or not the plate is square or round or if the place mat is now paper. Its what's on the plates and place mat that matters.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
I just don't get the bean counter mentality of the C Suite when it comes to First or Business Class guests. Do they think everyone is on a free ride?? Sure some of us fly as non-rev advantage awards, some as company paid travel, some as op-ups from coach, and some who PAY to fly up front. We are the core travelers most likely to be your main revenue producers and you treat us like this?

When $misek and his minions took over UA, it didn't take long for the exodus to begin. Now they're improving food in an attempt to lure former M+ flyers back. UA lost over $27k of my travel dollars when I dropped my 1K status and switched to AA and DL. Why does Doug want to go through all that negativity only to see loyal AA members bolt? Food is a simple relatively low cost thing to fix. Get a team of chefs as DL did, create new menus with quality ingredients, and rotate the offerings. The only added cost in this equation is a minuscule amount for upgraded proteins, sides and beverages. The prep,loading, and serving costs stay the same. FA's are constantly being trained on new procedures so training them to serve a better product should be a no brainer and a welcome one.

Come on, Doug. Think outside the box. You have a one-time opportunity to create something new and different. Forget the past and take the leap.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The DL Michelle Bernstein meals are a joke, at least on my recent BE flights.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
Did anyone actually read what I wrote here or do people just want to keep guessing and coming up with their own theories? It explains what happened and why.

Originally Posted by F&B767
No they are not spending what they were before, it is an overall downgrade to both services and there is a video where Parker explains how it happened.

AA spent more, US spent less and Adler was given the directive to bring the budgets to meet in the middle. However, the increased number of former US flights getting meals pretty much ate up the difference to bring the budgets to the middle, the reduction in AA flights with meal service did not offset the US increase by much. What was left was to bring AA down to US service, which had actually been lowered. The amount of prepacked food, sauces in plastic cups, paper rather than linen, and overall telling caterers to find cheaper chicken, fruit, veggies, etc... went way up and brings us to what we have today.

Adler likes to tout the investment made in the onboard product but in reality the investment went to new platting and glassware for AA and some for US.
The amount invested in food and procedure was brought way down and they have admitted it. Now, they admit this was a mistake and they now recognize the importance placed on food and perceived premium service. Lets see if in mid November they do or if it's BS "we understand premium customers" all over again.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The DL Michelle Bernstein meals are a joke, at least on my recent BE flights.
I'm pretty sure DL no longer uses Michelle Bernstein throughout the network. Last I heard they were only serving her meals on flights to S. America.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm pretty sure DL no longer uses Michelle Bernstein throughout the network. Last I heard they were only serving her meals on flights to S. America.
That is my understanding as well. I was never impressed with any of her DL meals until our SCL-ATL flight last earlier in the year. That meal was excellent. The BE seat on the other hand? Meh, not so much.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Maybe you had a good version of that very tired meal - I've had it multiple times and it's eminently forgettable.

Better than the current downgraded AA? Maybe/possibly. But not a world beater.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by F&B767
Did anyone actually read what I wrote here or do people just want to keep guessing and coming up with their own theories? It explains what happened and why.
I've read what you wrote but not sure about some of the math. On the US side, they wrote that the reduced meal windows only added tray service to about 150 more daily flights. I'm pretty sure they removed tray service from way more flights than that on the AA side. There was definitely extra money there that they're now saving. The ice cream and warm nuts on PMUS flights really can't cost that much.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
Why anyone would fly USdbaAA, or any US carrier for that matter, outside of the US is beyond me.
I don't know about anyone else, but I know the answer for me -- although I'm entirely sure you're correct, and the overall experience (let alone the food/drinks) is significantly better, I can't afford to fly Etihad J, let alone F.

--woodstock
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
I don't know about anyone else, but I know the answer for me -- although I'm entirely sure you're correct, and the overall experience (let alone the food/drinks) is significantly better, I can't afford to fly Etihad J, let alone F.
But I think you are incorrectly assuming that an EY ticket is a more expensive ticket. Better service at lower prices is tough to compete against when you have a gAArbage product. That's why the US airlines are justifiably worried about the coming Gulf 3 invasion of the US.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:12 pm

Upcoming trip

Pre-order selections for an upcoming trip. Ping ponging across the country and not repeating an aircraft type! Is there anything that people are curious about/suggest I try? Thanks all.

ORD - SAN (737)

SAN - LAX (CRJ)

No meal on the SAN - LAX hop.

LAX - JFK (32B)

JFK - MIA (757)

MIA - DFW (767)

DFW - ORD (MD-80)

Last edited by TheSkyGuy; Nov 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DylanOakes
Pre-order selections for an upcoming trip. Ping ponging across the country and not repeating an aircraft type! Is there anything that people are curious about/suggest I try? Thanks all.

ORD - SAN (737)

SAN - LAX (CRJ)

No meal on the SAN - LAX hop.

LAX - JFK (32B)

JFK - MIA (757)

MIA - DFW (767)

DFW - ORD (MD-80)

Wow you're in for a real "treat" with all these AA meals lol
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow you're in for a real "treat" with all these AA meals lol
Hope OP remembers to bring lots of Pepto.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
The thing that is bugging me is... why did management pretty much convert AA meal service into US meal service, wholesale? I mean, I understand a merger is going to translate into cuts and some service downgrades, but when UA and CO merged, they at least improved pmUA transcontinental service by introducing sundaes and appetizers (which pmUA didn't offer pre-merger, except p.s. JFK-LAX/SFO), as well as brought aboard the snack basket on pmCO flights. They even gave UA F trays linens; the pmUA tray wasn't covered by a linen cloth. Granted, the current UA F meals/serving standards are meh, but they at least merged the service a bit more reasonably, IMHO.

What really bothers me is, why is AA so insistent on using the pmUS presentation for the most part on domestic flights and now, international J? Why not combine aspects from both carriers ala UA/CO, or go for a completely brand-new look and style: a "refreshing new presentation to celebrate our merger!"

I just don't understand it. Would it really have hurt them that much to just keep the AA look and feel for F service, or just to start a new look and feel, aka DL post-merger? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
At the risk of going OMNI, you need to remember that Discount Dougie had no interest in the AA product-he only wanted the name. All the reasons pax would choose AA over US, IFE, upgrades, meals, legroom, etc., were referred to in the US C-suite as the 'stupid stuff' per the e-mails released by the Justice Dept in the 5 mins they considered blocking the merger/takeover under anti-trust concerns.

Those who have taken to referring to the new entity as 'US D/B/A AA' are spot on, IMHO, because that's what's happening &, I suspect, was the plan all along.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by DylanOakes
For ORD-LAX, try Tortas Fronteras.

For LAX-SAN, try Rounds Burgers.

On LAX-JFK, Campanille for breakfast. When you arrive in MIA, stop by Versailles.

During your DFW layover back to Chicago, stop by the AmEx lounge.

On a more serious note, LAX-JFK is PMAA catering, neither choice is bad, and there will be a third choice (oatmeal or cereal) even if its not showing. But I'm serious about just avoiding everything else.

Last edited by MAH4546; Nov 12, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.