Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
In reference to UA, there is a lot of Star Alliance connectivity at AMS to other European destinations (LH/OS/SN/LX/TP/LO/A3/SK/OU/TK). Not so much with OneWorld.
There are a good few Star destinations but do many Star flyers actually connect over AMS? All of those destinations can be reached via most if not all other Star gateways.

In any case new AA service at AMS would obviouisly be for O&D rather than connections at the AMS end. It's worth noting that BA has a very large presence in AMS which feeds into the TATL JV so they will have good data on whether there is enough demand to satisfy a new non-stop.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:05 am
Suspended

Definitely were/are looking for these folks (shown below) but in no way does that mean that's all there is to it. It's like when people quote AA.com to me
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:11 am
Suspended

Then there's a seperate aug12 dated item stating:

"We will begin flying ORD-PHL-AMS-PHL-ORD on September 7th..."
And it goes on to mention that for now MIA-based Crew wil fly it 2 days a week as there's not enough ORD-based Dutch-speaking crew etc
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There are a good few Star destinations but do many Star flyers actually connect over AMS? All of those destinations can be reached via most if not all other Star gateways.
I've done it quite often myself. Mainly UA to AMS and OS to VIE. However, I try not to do so on the return to the States. Because the security checks (at the gate) for US carriers at AMS is a major PITA. And AMS is a much better airport (for a connection) than BRU/FRA/CPH/ZRH in my view. However, the Star lounges at AMS don't have a lot to be desired.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Then there's a seperate aug12 dated item stating:

"We will begin flying ORD-PHL-AMS-PHL-ORD on September 7th..."
And it goes on to mention that for now MIA-based Crew wil fly it 2 days a week as there's not enough ORD-based Dutch-speaking crew etc
But are they just planning to keep this as a tag-on, or do they really want to eventually fly direct from ORD to AMS?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by dls25
LAA has not flown to ORD - Brussels since 2011 and most of the Flemish speakers were quite senior and retired or transferred to other bases for better trips; thus LAA has to hire off the street.
I apologise if I'm veering into the Pedant Zone, though I do want to clarify in case there is any confusion. Flemish is not a language; the main language spoken in Flanders is Dutch. There are pronunciation differences and minor differences in dialect, but Flemish and Dutch people can understand each other perfectly well and the difference is more akin to American English and British English. Any FA qualified to speak Dutch for a BRU flight should be able to fulfil Dutch language requirements for an AMS flight.

As Jon noted further down, AA do have a handful of Dutch speakers in ORD, though they clearly believe they'd need more.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I've done it quite often myself. Mainly UA to AMS and OS to VIE. However, I try not to do so on the return to the States. Because the security checks (at the gate) for US carriers at AMS is a major PITA. And AMS is a much better airport (for a connection) than BRU/FRA/CPH/ZRH in my view. However, the Star lounges at AMS don't have a lot to be desired.
UA-AMS, OS-VIE is a common connection for a 1K co-worker of mine, too.

I agree that I would rather transit AMS than FRA. Any day.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:32 pm

Apparently it'll be a seasonal DFW-AMS.

Also starting next summer: DFW-FCO and ORD-BCN.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Adding DFW-KOA seasonally

Cancelling BRU, BHX, DUS, YHZ and PHL-ZRH
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Link available to this info?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YtravelF
Adding DFW-KOA seasonally

Cancelling BRU, BHX, DUS, YHZ and PHL-ZRH
What are they gonna put on DFW-KOA? 767? Or does the 757 have the legs?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by no1cub17
What are they gonna put on DFW-KOA? 767? Or does the 757 have the legs?
Don't think a 757 can do it. So will have to be a widebody of some sort.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA
Some winter suspensions also- JFK-CDG second flight, ORD-CDG, PHL-FRA, JFK-MAN.

I welcome this ORD-BCN flight! Always had to take the ORD-MAD Iberia flight before this and connect (or take a train). Wonder if they'll use a 787.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Some winter suspensions also- JFK-CDG second flight, ORD-CDG, PHL-FRA, JFK-MAN.
Any idea on the length of the suspensions? AA did a lot of rotating suspensions Jan-March last winter. (PHL-FCO suspended for 4 weeks in Jan, then something like PHL-MUC suspended for 6 weeks starting in Feb, etc.)
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
The second JFK-CDG flight and JFK-MAN are almost always operated by a 75L. Even though there is already slack in the 75L fleet, especially with the continued drawdown of secondary Brazil cities, this may mean the 75L CIP will be much quicker than previous conversions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.