Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by nova08
Any idea on the length of the suspensions? AA did a lot of rotating suspensions Jan-March last winter. (PHL-FCO suspended for 4 weeks in Jan, then something like PHL-MUC suspended for 6 weeks starting in Feb, etc.)
jan-mar: jfk-man + ord-cdg; nov-mar: jfk-cdg #2 + phl-fra. they'll all operate through october, except ord-cdg through december.

doesn't seem like we can buy DFW-KOA yet, so unclear what aircraft it would be. probably 763 to align with DFW-OGG. interestingly, just tried to look up DFW-HNL for early next year, and they seem to have upgauged one of the flights to a 772 (36J) international configuration! wonder if this is normal...
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Here's a link to a little more info on the DFW additions...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...ean-cities.ece
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
jan-mar: jfk-man + ord-cdg; nov-mar: jfk-cdg #2 + phl-fra. they'll all operate through october, except ord-cdg through december.
Ouch, quite a cut on PHL-FRA
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Djokison
Apparently it'll be a seasonal DFW-AMS.

Also starting next summer: DFW-FCO and ORD-BCN.
I think this will effectively put an end to CLT-FCO/BCN service. Which I've always thought was going to happen. I can't see them offering flights to FCO from JFK/PHL/MIA/ORD/DFW and CLT. Nor flights to BCN from JFK/PHL/MIA/ORD and CLT. Either that, or PHL-FCO/BCN gets cut instead. But my money would be on CLT.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF
Adding DFW-KOA seasonally

Cancelling BRU, BHX, DUS, YHZ and PHL-ZRH
Canada has really been hit hard by AA cuts in the past year.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
All this over a simple job posting from three weeks ago.

AA is also hiring flight attendants who speak French, Spanish, Korean, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese, Chinese and Italian (these were all posted in June):

http://careers.aa.com/en/ac/careers?...eld=&keywords=
You certainly knew more than we did!

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...ean-cities.ece
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think this will effectively put an end to CLT-FCO/BCN service. .... I can't see them offering flights to FCO from JFK/PHL/MIA/ORD/DFW and CLT. Nor flights to BCN from JFK/PHL/MIA/ORD and CLT. Either that, or PHL-FCO/BCN gets cut instead. But my money would be on CLT.
The loads to BCN & FCO from all those airports are very, very strong. And although I cannot confirm it I believe the average fares/yields are quite good as well (certainly as compared to N Europe). The LUS 333 have only 19 business class seats to fill and 234 (huge!) economy seats which by my observation are both consistently near full loads. It's conjecture on my part but I believe that the entire flight system of nonstops to southern Europe - Mediterranean cities is strong across the board (save LIS). The JFKBCN and JFKMAD flights are always totally near capacity in both cabins.

I don't know about freight yields but the 330 has decent freight capacity so that could help the economics.

Last edited by tfjim; Sep 9, 2016 at 8:04 am
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I think this will effectively put an end to CLT-FCO/BCN service. Which I've always thought was going to happen. I can't see them offering flights to FCO from JFK/PHL/MIA/ORD/DFW and CLT. Nor flights to BCN from JFK/PHL/MIA/ORD and CLT. Either that, or PHL-FCO/BCN gets cut instead. But my money would be on CLT.
There is no FCO-MIA service on AA. Miami is served from MXP, instead.

Also I agree this might mean simply moving CLT-BCN to ORD-BCN and CLT-FCO to DFW-FCO.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:46 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Some winter suspensions also- JFK-CDG second flight, ORD-CDG, PHL-FRA, JFK-MAN.

I welcome this ORD-BCN flight! Always had to take the ORD-MAD Iberia flight before this and connect (or take a train). Wonder if they'll use a 787.
Do you know what are the dates of the PHL-FRA suspension?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by tfjim
The LUS 333 have only 19 business class seats to fill
True for the 332. The 333 has eight more.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
True for the 332. The 333 has eight more.
I thought the 332s have a pilot crew rest cubicle/pod (unlike the 333s)? So, one of the 20 J seats is blocked for the cockpit crew?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:40 am

I thought the 332s have a pilot crew rest cubicle/pod (unlike the 333s)? So, one of the 20 J seats is blocked for the cockpit crew?
332- 20 J w/ Crew Rest Area

333- 28 J w/ 1 J seat blocked for crew rest
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
This is only a rumor from a senior AA flight attendant friend of mine . . . I ran into him this morning and he said that the rumor around the shop is that CLT will be becoming just a feeder hub, and that all service from CLT to Europe, with the exception of London and Frankfurt, will connect through MIA, PHL and JFK. He wasn't sure if LHR will be once or twice per day. Makes sense that LHR will stay due to flying into a OW hub, and FRA due to the 200 plus German companies located here in Charlotte, but sad to see the other cities being routed through other hubs.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by CLTRob
This is only a rumor from a senior AA flight attendant friend of mine . . . I ran into him this morning and he said that the rumor around the shop is that CLT will be becoming just a feeder hub, and that all service from CLT to Europe, with the exception of London and Frankfurt, will connect through MIA, PHL and JFK. He wasn't sure if LHR will be once or twice per day. Makes sense that LHR will stay due to flying into a OW hub, and FRA due to the 200 plus German companies located here in Charlotte, but sad to see the other cities being routed through other hubs.
It's almost that way now already, besides LHR and FRA, there's CDG. It does look like AA has cut back on CDG this winter from some of the other hubs as well.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
It's almost that way now already, besides LHR and FRA, there's CDG. It does look like AA has cut back on CDG this winter from some of the other hubs as well.
It literally is already that way. LHR and FRA are the only year round TATL flights (besides LH to MUC) from CLT. It has been that way for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.