Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
Exactly. I thought the addition of the PMUS long haul routes would help with a little EU expansion, too. I'm surprised you can fly from so many places to FCO on AA metal, or even ATH (or VCE seasonally!) but there's *one* 757 route per day to the 5th busiest airport in Europe (only about 1.5M annual pax from being the 3rd busiest)
AMS is busy by dint of being a major connecting airport (for SkyTeam anyway). I'd guess FCO has more O/D than AMS from most US markets (but I have no data to back that up) - tulips and rain don't beat the Colosseum and sunshine.

If a 75L could reach ATH or VCE ... you never know what Dougie would do Note that both of these destinations are served by pmUS (i.e. not many premium seats) metal, and I would be surprised if they were upgauged to anything with more J than what they now have.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by scnzzz
If a 75L could reach ATH or VCE ... you never know what Dougie would do
Lol ^
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by scnzzz
How much better would an LAA 75L be over what LUS is using out of PHL now?
16 angled lie-flat seats vs. 12 recliner seats in J.

MCE in Y.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
16 angled lie-flat seats vs. 12 recliner seats in J.

MCE in Y.
Exactly. Quite a large improvement.

I can't believe someone would pay to fly 7/8 hours to fly in a recliner "biz" seat. Give me a connection at LHR to a 77W any day.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dkc192
FWIW there's an a.net thread with some speculation about the cancellation of ORD-DUS and the possible addition of ORD-AMS:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1340611
In this one instance, airliners.net rumor didn't get as much credibility as it deserved; DUS being cancelled and new service to AMS being added, is my belief at this point. As well as some seasonal PHL routes getting axed.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
In this one instance, airliners.net rumor didn't get as much credibility as it deserved; DUS being cancelled and new service to AMS being added, is my belief at this point. As well as some seasonal PHL routes getting axed.
Further down in that thread the OP does say that ORD-DUS will be cancelled but doubts the addition of ORD-AMS. Take that for what it's worth.

My random guess is that PHL-BRU/LIS are on thin ice. If there are additional PHL seasonal cuts, what is the point of having that many "TA" 752's? I also have to wonder how successful CLT-FCO/BCN/DUB are.

I always suspected PHL would lose some TA service, but I will say as a PHL based traveler these cuts only increase my rationale for flying UA out of EWR for international trips.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nova08
Further down in that thread the OP does say that ORD-DUS will be cancelled but doubts the addition of ORD-AMS. Take that for what it's worth.

My random guess is that PHL-BRU/LIS are on thin ice. If there are additional PHL seasonal cuts, what is the point of having that many "TA" 752's? I also have to wonder how successful CLT-FCO/BCN/DUB are.

I always suspected PHL would lose some TA service, but I will say as a PHL based traveler these cuts only increase my rationale for flying UA out of EWR for international trips.
Its been a few years since I've flown t, but FWIW, when I flew it, CLT-FCO was full in Envoy and probably 40ish% in the back. FCO-CLT, however, was just about 100% full in both classes. It was an A333.
DUB seems succesful from CLT (weird how they don't operate it for St Paddys day though...)
You are right about LIS and BRU. Those lived off of *A cx from what I've heard so they may not be doing so well. Anyone know if there are public #s?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As I have lots of Family in the Netherlands I'm kinda hoping ORD-AMS is true. Even Better if its on LAA 757 vs LUS 757... I flew the LUS 757 on CLT-DUB last fall (actually the last flight of the season) and it was not worth it... Should have bought Y and spent the difference elsewhere.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
As I have lots of Family in the Netherlands I'm kinda hoping ORD-AMS is true. Even Better if its on LAA 757 vs LUS 757...
At 4120 miles (per great circle mapper) let's hope that if they do start ORD-AMS its on something other than a 757, LAA or LUS no matter. Like a widebody.

I have no issue riding 757s TATL from the East Coast, but 4120 miles while maybe technically within the range of the aircraft (I'm not a expert) is really pushing it, and is not something I would be flying on.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bse118
At 4120 miles (per great circle mapper) let's hope that if they do start ORD-AMS its on something other than a 757, LAA or LUS no matter. Like a widebody.

I have no issue riding 757s TATL from the East Coast, but 4120 miles while maybe technically within the range of the aircraft (I'm not a expert) is really pushing it, and is not something I would be flying on.
My apologies I misspoke. What I meant was.... PHL-AMS would be much better if on LAA equipment vs. the LUS 757. Obviously a widebody on ORD-AMS would be much better!
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Could it be that no new AMS service will be started. And that the reason why there is a job listing posted at AA for Dutch speaking FAs is because AA will now be taking over the PHL-AMS route from LUS? And thus has to be flown with LAA crew members. Of which, there are currently no Dutch speaking FA's (technically speaking). Beacause there was no LAA service to AMS.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Could it be that no new AMS service will be started. And that the reason why there is a job listing posted at AA for Dutch speaking FAs is because AA will now be taking over the PHL-AMS route from LUS? And thus has to be flown with LAA crew members. Of which, there are currently no Dutch speaking FA's (technically speaking). Beacause there was no LAA service to AMS.
After all of the wobbly speculation up thread, the above is the answer. The PHL-AMS flight is changing to an AA 757-200 (16 Angled Flat Business Seats), with AA crews, sometime during the first week in September. Since pre merger AA did not fly to AMS, they likely did not have any (or few) Dutch speaking FAs.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
And thus has to be flown with LAA crew members. Of which, there are currently no Dutch speaking FA's (technically speaking). Beacause there was no LAA service to AMS.
Originally Posted by perseus11
Since pre merger AA did not fly to AMS, they likely did not have any (or few) Dutch speaking FAs.
American had Dutch speakers on its Brussels flights. In addition, there are several former TWA flight attendants, currently employed by AA, who speak Dutch.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
American had Dutch speakers on its Brussels flights. In addition, there are several former TWA flight attendants, currently employed by AA, who speak Dutch.
TWA discontinued AMS and BRU in 1993 so I doubt many of those FA's are still around and if they are, I doubt many of them are ORD based. LAA has not flown to ORD - Brussels since 2011 and most of the Flemish speakers were quite senior and retired or transferred to other bases for better trips; thus LAA has to hire off the street. AA cannot force LOD speakers to change bases...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by dls25
TWA discontinued AMS and BRU in 1993 so I doubt many of those FA's are still around and if they are, I doubt many of them are ORD based.
You'd be surprised how many of the senior former TWA flight attendants are still around. I know several who started their careers at TWA in the late 60's and early 70's and who are still flying.

I highly doubt that AA will start ORD-AMS flights. What's most likely to happen is that the PHL-AMS service will switch from LUS to LAA aircraft and the crews for those flights will most likely be JFK based (same as ORD-DUB which is operated by LUS aircraft with crews based in PHL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.