Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
So for how long will AA continue operating non-flat seats on TATL routes? Is it still quite a while yet?
I believe all TATL routes use lie-flat now. There is a sub-fleet of 757s configured with lie-flat for TATL. A number of 763s have been reconfigured with 1-2-1 lie flat as well and will be retiring the remaining angle-flat NGBC in the next year or two. I believe all TATL 763s are schedule to be lie-flat. although, on occasion, a 1-2-1 lie flat 763 gets swapped with an NGBC plane due to mechanical.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
So for how long will AA continue operating non-flat seats on TATL routes? Is it still quite a while yet?
According to Parker at the shareholders meeting a few months ago, the installation of flat beds on the 757s that will stay in the fleet into next decade will be finished by the end of next year. And it hasn't even started yet... My guess is that it will be a relatively barebones refit, similar to the 767 and won't take over a month to finish an aircraft.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:19 am

PHL-DUB goes to a LUS 752 on 11/1 and remains a LUS 752 throughout the winter with the exception of some dates around the holidays. Not sure why that one remains LUS.

It's still too far out to see what is done with the seasonal 752 routes in S17 (PHL-GLA, SNN, BRU, LIS).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by andreirublev
I suppose there's also the various Caribbean flights to Aruba, Saint Maarten, and Curaçao from MIA/CLT. Although I have no idea if Dutch is commonly spoken there or just the offical language in name only.
Dutch is rarely spoken on SXM. It is spoken throughout Aruba and Curaçao, though, but not like Papiamentu (Papiamento in Aruba) which is the main language. School is generally in Dutch, for example. (And you also have a decent sized (European-)Dutch population on the islands.

I highly doubt they'd send Dutch speakers on those routes and I think I've only experienced it once (and that was one of the pilots.) It's not really necessary either, as just but everyone speaks English (often better than they speak Dutch.)

Originally Posted by ty97
I believe all TATL routes use lie-flat now. There is a sub-fleet of 757s configured with lie-flat for TATL. A number of 763s have been reconfigured with 1-2-1 lie flat as well and will be retiring the remaining angle-flat NGBC in the next year or two. I believe all TATL 763s are schedule to be lie-flat. although, on occasion, a 1-2-1 lie flat 763 gets swapped with an NGBC plane due to mechanical.
There are 0 757s with horizontal lie flat seats. The LAA 75Ls have the NGBC (wedgie) seats and the LUS 757s have old school recliners.

Last edited by Djokison; Aug 11, 2016 at 10:48 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Another possibility (and purely speculation, no facts to support it)...another Dutch airport (maybe Rotterdam or Groningen?)?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Longboater
According to Parker at the shareholders meeting a few months ago, the installation of flat beds on the 757s that will stay in the fleet into next decade will be finished by the end of next year. And it hasn't even started yet... My guess is that it will be a relatively barebones refit, similar to the 767 and won't take over a month to finish an aircraft.
oops, I thought they were already installed on the 752s. Ignore my mistaken post above!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Another possibility (and purely speculation, no facts to support it)...another Dutch airport (maybe Rotterdam or Groningen?)?
I'd say the chance is less than 0. (approximately)
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I mean aren't there islands in the Caribbean that speak dutch? Why does a Dutch speaking FA have to be for flights to Europe? Considering AAs sizable network down there. Couldn't it just be adding more service to somewhere like Curacao?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sant
Is AA planning to fly to AMS? They posted on Twitter that they're hiring FAs fluent in Dutch.
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I just saw on Twitter that AA is actively recruiting new cabin crew fluent in Dutch.

A new route to Amsterdam is in the cards?
Originally Posted by AAway
AA is hiring Dutch speaking FA's (Per Facebook post by AA). Does this mean they're planning on launching AMS?
All this over a simple job posting from three weeks ago.

AA is also hiring flight attendants who speak French, Spanish, Korean, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese, Chinese and Italian (these were all posted in June):

http://careers.aa.com/en/ac/careers?...eld=&keywords=
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:00 pm

Thanks, I hadn't realised they were refitting the 757s. I knew about the 763s.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I've heard they are getting head-to-tail AVOD. The sets will supposedly be the A321T J seats.

So not basic if that's true.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I've heard they are getting head-to-tail AVOD. The sets will supposedly be the A321T J seats.

So not basic if that's true.
It'll be an achievement if they can finish all 35-37 of them in just over a one year timespan, that is if they are keeping that many. If the timeline hasn't changed, I assume the first should go into mods before the end of the year.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
The first A332 to get wifi is in mods right now. Waiting on certification apparently.
Also, the 763s are going to get wifi (again).

I believe they still hope to have the first 757 rolled out by the end of the year. The first one should be in the shops after the summer schedule ends in late August.

ETA: I'm not speculating.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF
The first A332 to get wifi is in mods right now. Waiting on certification apparently.
Also, the 763s are going to get wifi (again).

I believe they still hope to have the first 757 rolled out by the end of the year. The first one should be in the shops after the summer schedule ends in late August.
Thank you for the information as always. I assume by next summer the A332 will all have wifi and only the 17 767s remaining past 2018 will receive wifi.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
All this over a simple job posting from three weeks ago.

AA is also hiring flight attendants who speak French, Spanish, Korean, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese, Chinese and Italian (these were all posted in June):

http://careers.aa.com/en/ac/careers?...eld=&keywords=
They've been specifically advertising for Dutch speakers on Facebook and Twitter. No other languages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.