Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
American Airlines Expands Network in 2018 and Introduces Shuttle Service Between Chicago O'Hare and New York Laguardia

Beginning June 7
  • Three routes from PHL to Fort Wayne, Indiana (FWA); Oklahoma City (OKC); and Pensacola, Florida (PNS)
  • New service from both Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) and DFW to Panama City, Florida (ECP) and South Bend, Indiana (SBN)
  • Service from Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania (AVP)

Beginning April 4, business travelers looking for a consistent, convenient and easy commute will have a new Shuttle product to fly them between New York LaGuardia (LGA) and ORD. American’s Shuttle will offer hourly flights between the two business centers, giving customers additional flexibility and choice, as well as unique travel benefits such as dedicated gates, 15 flights per weekday and complimentary beer and wine in Main Cabin.
This article says PHL-MSN and PHL-SAT would also begin June 7, but it's not listed in the press release.

Last edited by flightrisk; Jan 18, 2018 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Looks like the majority of the ORD-LGA flights will be 738s on the :30 hour. ^
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Platinum
Does anyone know where I might find the schedule for the new SBN routes? The announcement indicates service begins June 7th with booking available 1/22 but I can't find times/schedule anywhere.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by walk36
Does anyone know where I might find the schedule for the new SBN routes? The announcement indicates service begins June 7th with booking available 1/22 but I can't find times/schedule anywhere.
Source
Flights will depart daily from SBN to DFW at 7:00 a.m. and 2:09 p.m. They will return to SBN daily from DFW at 4:13 p.m. and 9:53 p.m. Flights to CLT will leave SBN daily at 8:30 a.m. and 5:05 p.m. returning to South Bend each day at 1:25 p.m. and 9:40 p.m.

The flights will be operated by American Eagle using CRJ-700 regional jet aircraft with dual-class cabins and 64 seats. Tickets go on sale on Monday, January 22 at www.aa.com.
walk36 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by flightrisk
American Airlines Expands Network in 2018 and Introduces Shuttle Service Between Chicago O'Hare and New York Laguardia

This article says PHL-MSN and PHL-SAT would also begin June 7, but it's not listed in the press release.
Happy for ECP. Hope it does well!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Does anyone have the schedule/equipment for ORD-AVP? I did some searching but couldn't find anything.
I grew up in that area, and it was always HUGE for US Airways. There's a few other flights, most notably UA AVP-ORD. Not sure if the 2 flights can survive on that route, but evidently AA wants to try.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by econometrics
That's how it already is now...
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by aztimm
Does anyone have the schedule/equipment for ORD-AVP? I did some searching but couldn't find anything.
I grew up in that area, and it was always HUGE for US Airways. There's a few other flights, most notably UA AVP-ORD. Not sure if the 2 flights can survive on that route, but evidently AA wants to try.
I had the exact same thoughts. AA tried this route a few years ago, and killed it pretty quickly. UA's schedule on that route basically sucks, especially if you're originating on the West Coast. On the return flight, my choices are a 6am out of AVP, or a 5:30pm which gets me back to LAX at 11PM. It was served by an ERJ-145, then switched to the god-awful CR-2. I think it's going back to the E-145, though.

AA would be wise to put a mid-morning and/or early afternoon departure on AVP-ORD. If they did that and put a decent aircraft on the route, I would highly consider switching from UA after I hit 1MM on UA in 2019, since I fly to AVP a few times/year.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
The new extra-dense "customers don't want seat-back screens; leg room is overrated" Doug Parker specials? (I know, they're all going to be that way in due course)...

I really, really miss the Mad Dogs (and yes, I know they're gone, why they're gone and that this is the new reality).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
They should be out this weekend during the schedule change. Some aircraft/timings of these new flights were announced by local papers, but I did not see anything about this one. When I saw this, I actually thought if they might ultimately replace PHL-AVP with ORD-AVP now that the DH8's are gone.
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Really need year-round international connections in Charlotte. It doesn't make sense that their larger CLT hub requires people to fly to PHL to make a TATL connection. I just end up driving to Raleigh and using a competitor. I'm looking at booking a flight and there really isn't anything reasonable without connecting three to four times or driving two hours. I imagine that is the choice for everyone in the Southeast and over to the Midsouthwest. I could care less if I had a direct flight to PHL or whatever TATL hub they pick, but they need to sort it out and decide which CLT, DFW, and MIA hub they want to keep rather than worrying about how small they can make seats.

I'm still seeing DH8-300 flights from New Bern, NC this year.

Last edited by MOC991; Feb 3, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by MOC991
Really need year-round international connections in Charlotte. It doesn't make sense that their larger CLT hub requires people to fly to PHL to make a TATL connection. I just end up driving to Raleigh and using a competitor. I'm looking at booking a flight and there really isn't anything reasonable without connecting three to four times or driving two hours. I imagine that is the choice for everyone in the Southeast and over to the Midsouthwest. I could care less if I had a direct flight to PHL or whatever TATL hub they pick, but they need to sort it out and decide which CLT, DFW, and MIA hub they want to keep rather than worrying about how small they can make seats.

I'm still seeing DH8-300 flights from New Bern, NC this year.
The only competitor at RDU that offers year round service to Europe is Delta to Paris so your argument makes no sense. Once the A330-300's are withdrawn from service there will be less not more international service From Charlotte. As for picking a hub, all of the AA hubs serve a purpose. In addition there are Many one stop connections over Phl that make far more sense than routing those passengers over CLT. This endless noise from CLT boosters is tiring, CLT is and will continue to a massive domestic connecting Hub but Phl, Ord, are far better transatlantic connecting points geographically and offer much better O and D traffic.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
RDU-JFK/EWR/BOS/CDG-Final Destination in Europe. I'm not interested in Paris beyond connecting if cheaper and definitely not interested in the Queen's taxes and fees. You really missed the mark on that one. At the end of the day, they're reducing TATL at DFW, CLT, MIA, and JFK because they have too many hubs. Charlotte is cheaper and carries more traffic(44,422,022) than PHL(30,155,090) yet all those flights going in to CLT have to make a second connection to TATL outside of the summer. I could care less about the city of Charlotte, but the entire economically growing Southeast is already routing through there along with many Transcon flights versus the rusting slowing Northeast hub that only has a few smaller towns as its niche. The other parts of the Northeast have too many competitors to make PHL a focus. TATL flights are connecting not O/D flights so I'm not sure what your point on that was. I doubt people in PHL are rushing to the airport for their new TATL options. Most are rushing to the Southeast or other countries for lower costs. The only place that O/D matters is NYC and they're cutting flights back there because they can't compete.

All I'm suggesting is that when people compare their competitors offering TATL flights from their hubs at JFK, ATL, and EWR with the same price or less versus having to go through two hubs, they're going to choose the competitor. At the end of the day, AA can't pick between DFW and CLT so they just end up making both worse. They'd probably lose money if they choose to route more of their Southeast flights through PHL with the distance and much higher costs of the aging decrepit PHL, but I suppose you know best. You can call me a CLT or RDU booster all you want, but the passenger numbers and economic growth in the hub regions is what AA should look at. The numbers speak for themselves unlike in PHL. If they shift everything to PHL/JFK then they need to have at least a daily flight to PHL or JFK from most of the area served by CLT. Giving CLT a few more TATL flights is cheaper and makes a lot more sense based on numbers and not nonsense like DFW-KEF.

Last edited by MOC991; Feb 4, 2018 at 6:50 am
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:50 am

RDU-JFK/EWR/BOS/CDG-Final Destination in Europe. I'm not interested in Paris beyond connecting if cheaper and definitely not interested in the Queen's taxes and fees. You really missed the mark on that one. At the end of the day, they're reducing TATL at DFW, CLT, MIA, and JFK because they have too many hubs. Charlotte is cheaper and carries more traffic(44,422,022) than PHL(30,155,090) yet all those flights going in to CLT have to make a second connection to TATL outside of the summer. I could care less about the city of Charlotte, but the entire economically growing Southeast is already routing through there along with many Transcon flights versus the rusting slowing Northeast hub that only has a few smaller towns as its niche. The other parts of the Northeast have too many competitors to make PHL a focus. TATL flights are connecting not O/D flights so I'm not sure what your point on that was. I doubt people in PHL are rushing to the airport for their new TATL options. Most are rushing to the Southeast or other countries for lower costs. The only place that O/D matters is NYC and they're cutting flights back there because they can't compete.

All I'm suggesting is that when people compare their competitors offering TATL flights from their hubs at JFK, ATL, and EWR with the same price or less versus having to go through two hubs, they're going to choose the competitor. At the end of the day, AA can't pick between DFW and CLT so they just end up making both worse. They'd probably lose money if they choose to route more of their Southeast flights through PHL with the distance and much higher costs of the aging decrepit PHL, but I suppose you know best. You can call me a CLT or RDU booster all you want, but the passenger numbers and economic growth in the hub regions is what AA should look at. The numbers speak for themselves unlike in PHL. If they shift everything to PHL/JFK then they need to have at least a daily flight to PHL or JFK from most of the area served by CLT. Giving CLT a few more TATL flights is cheaper and makes a lot more sense based on numbers and not nonsense like DFW-KEF.
I'm sure AA route planing has worked the numbers and have concluded PHL and other Hubs make more sense than CLT for connecting international Passengers outside of London and Frankfurt year round. You might have noted there have been no additional CLT transatlantic adds since the merger- only reductions. You also need to realize a lot of those unique Southeast Markets that are served from CLT are small markets and also have access to ATL for Delta Transatlantic Flights or AA to DFW. Finally, AA is flying DFW- KEF to try and thwart those pesky Icelandic Low Cost Carriers that will trash the transatlantic yields. So they are trying to make it hard for them to gain a foot hold at DFW. I would also note that CLT is probably one of the only markets where WOW or Icelandair has not launched service. This indicates the CLT transatlantic market is over served and is not as strong as you would like to believe.
TWA884 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Some of what you write makes sense while others do not. We get that you want to fly from CLT to Europe, and AA does not do this year round. Could AA support a year-round flight to Europe from CLT, possible but AA does not. Could PHX support non stop flights to Europe on AA? Possible, but AA won't try it. Just like CLT if passengers if I want to go to Europe we have to make a connection, either to LAX, ORD, DFW. or take the BA non-stop. Could the real reason be the lack of aircraft? Does AA have a spare 787 sitting around for the PHX-LHR,PHX-CDG?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.