Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:24 pm

I Predict that TLV will re-start by early-mid 2018. ^^
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by perseus11
Based on...?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Based on...?
Speculation: "the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence"
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Gee, thanks... just thought you might be able to expand a bit.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I know he's gone from the forum, but I think this is where JonNYC comes in and says, "Not gonna happen."
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I know he's gone from the forum, but I think this is where JonNYC comes in and says, "Not gonna happen."
he died?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Colin
he died?
No. He's alive and well and on Twitter (@xJonNYC).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I predict that AA will soon begin nonstops to CAI, DXB and BKK.

Perhaps if those deliver promising results, AA may initiate service to KDL, KBH, BSR and BGW.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I predict that AA will soon begin nonstops to CAI, DXB and BKK.

Perhaps if those deliver promising results, AA may initiate service to KDL, KBH, BSR and BGW.
Hold my beer...

I predict this service will be from the new LIT hub on A380s, as hourly shuttles, to compliment the new LIT-NRT A380 hourly shuttle service. The A380s will be on a 24F 80J 50Y+ 200 Y config with a shower and bar available for F and J.

In all seriousness, it’s pretty late in the game to announce new 1H2018 service. You need to do things like hire staff at TLV and have the route planning/equipment rotations for 2018 locked down. So I would guess TLV probably isn’t happening.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a serious note about Tel Aviv, I'm still surprised that the largest airline in the world doesn't fly between any US gateways and Israel. Which makes me wonder - how much of a role did Kirby play in the start of service/six years of losses/cancellation of service on PHL-TLV? What role did Parker play?

If Kirby was banging the drum to cancel TLV, then perhaps his departure gives Parker a face-saving way of admitting failure on this issue and possibly re-starting service to TLV. OTOH, if Parker was the driving force on the cancellation, and Kirby was in favor of maintaining the loss-producing flights, then it ain't coming back.

When Kirby went to UA, he mentioned that UA's abandonment of JFK may have been a strategic error. Has he said anything about TLV since he got to UA?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When Kirby went to UA, he mentioned that UA's abandonment of JFK may have been a strategic error. Has he said anything about TLV since he got to UA?
JFK is an airport for the largest market in the US (and supports more premium service than any other USA market). TLV is, well, not, plus UA flies there, so "hey, TLV is awesome for us here at United" is unlikely to come up on an analyst call the same way "boy, I wish we had JFK presence, this is part of why our numbers aren't as good as I'd like" did.

Given that AA seems to prefer PHL for new TATL service over JFK and they cut PHL-TLV fairly recently it's hard for me to see them reinstating it.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
No, I could never see him saying, "Wow we were stupid to leave TLV, and you guys filled the void we left with SFO-TLV."

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Given that AA seems to prefer PHL for new TATL service over JFK and they cut PHL-TLV fairly recently it's hard for me to see them reinstating it.
True, but that was in a different time when AA/US had just merged and were trying to figure out how to effectively combine the fleet, crew, etc. The loads of this flight were always about the same as DL's JFK-TLV and UA's EWR-TLV. This means there was some other problem, such as low ticket prices, utilization, etc. AA looks a lot different than it did a few years ago, so maybe in two years they will try it again with a 787 or A350.

Also, it's not like everyone else is running from TLV like AA. In fact, they are doing just the opposite. Since AA dropped PHL-TLV, UA added SFO-TLV, AC added seasonal YUL-TLV, TS added seasonal YUL-TLV, LY added MIA-TLV, and WW added KEF-TLV (primarily used by North American connecting pax). IZ (Arkia Israeli Airlines) also has 4 A330neos and 4 789s on order, and people have speculated at least a couple of these aircraft will fly JFK-TLV.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DA201
Also, it's not like everyone else is running from TLV like AA. In fact, they are doing just the opposite. Since AA dropped PHL-TLV, UA added SFO-TLV, AC added seasonal YUL-TLV, TS added seasonal YUL-TLV, LY added MIA-TLV, and WW added KEF-TLV (primarily used by North American connecting pax). IZ (Arkia Israeli Airlines) also has 4 A330neos and 4 789s on order, and people have speculated at least a couple of these aircraft will fly JFK-TLV.
So what you're saying is there's a boatload of capacity that's added to USA-TLV...
econometrics likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I predict the same thing. I hear it's going to be operated by QR with an AA codeshare though.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
I predict the same thing. I hear it's going to be operated by QR with an AA codeshare though.
Maybe even more probable than AA metal going back to TLV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.