Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
If you had to be in coach but could snag 10A or F you were fine as there was no 9A or F due to the emergency exit door. They're all terrible now, including the legacy AA ones, if you can't get at least into MCE.

Do we think a 738 could do SNA-East Coast (perhaps only as a red eye for cooler temps in the summer months) with the shorter runway and noise abatement requirements out of SNA?
My comment was in regards to LAA vs LUS 319s that the prior post talked about. Universally uncomfortable is, of course, a valid opinion, but separating the two shouldn't matter anymore as the only difference is IFE.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW there's an a.net thread with some speculation about the cancellation of ORD-DUS and the possible addition of ORD-AMS:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1340611
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc192
FWIW there's an a.net thread with some speculation about the cancellation of ORD-DUS and the possible addition of ORD-AMS:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1340611
The OP in that thread writes "Recently saw on here that someone posted that AA will be announcing an end to their seasonal DUS service from ORD. From this it is expected that AB picks up this service. As a result of this, AA will then use that aircraft to begin seasonal service to AMS from ORD."

Wish I had the time energy and dedication to quote nonsensical rumors to start threads.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:42 pm

As far as I know, ORD-DUS is being cancelled but there will be no ORD-AMS.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
As far as I know, ORD-DUS is being cancelled but there will be no ORD-AMS.
I can't image ORD-AMS supporting three daily flights by three different carriers. That said...it would be nice to have an AA option other than the crappy 757 from PHL. Did that once this year and it was a thoroughly miserable experience.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by dkc192
They are betting off just upgauging PHL-AMS to a 332. AA adding ORD-AMS to compete with KL's and UA's flights would be a big gamble.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Fanjet
AA adding ORD-AMS to compete with KL's and UA's flights would be a big gamble.
There is no way that any AMS capacity would be added unless AA has corporate contracts (including cargo) needing such routes. Still a risk to add any new route, but let's not stress about the route feasibility at the moment, but just enjoy the potential benefits these routes will offer.

With so much new craft coming online AND companies saying to AA, "Hey you are so close to meeting all of our needs..."

Rasheed
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by rasheed
There is no way that any AMS capacity would be added unless AA has corporate contracts (including cargo) needing such routes. Still a risk to add any new route, but let's not stress about the route feasibility at the moment, but just enjoy the potential benefits these routes will offer.

With so much new craft coming online AND companies saying to AA, "Hey you are so close to meeting all of our needs..."

Rasheed
Any such new aircraft coming online to possibly service NYC-BOM or ORD-BOM??
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
There was this rumor:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...urn-india.html

But I never found too much support for it.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
AA has delayed many of the "so much new craft coming online" lately (787s and A350s orders deferred). Widebody retirements continue unabated (763s and soon, some A333s).

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I'd say zero point zero probability of either happening in the near-term (like the next decade).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There was this rumor:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...urn-india.html

But I never found too much support for it.
That's a much more diplomatic way of putting it.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fanjet
They are betting off just upgauging PHL-AMS to a 332. AA adding ORD-AMS to compete with KL's and UA's flights would be a big gamble.
I was on AA 799 AMS-PHL today (side note: AA should be ashamed of the quality of the hard product in that 752--truly disgusting--although the FAs were fantastic). The lead FA made a comment to another pax that she was "bidding for a lot of AMS runs because we are losing AMS".

Take that for what it's worth (coming from a front-line employee), but it suggests that AA is pulling out of AMS entirely. Has anyone heard anything to confirm or negate that statement?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aajones
I was on AA 799 AMS-PHL today (side note: AA should be ashamed of the quality of the hard product in that 752--truly disgusting--although the FAs were fantastic). The lead FA made a comment to another pax that she was "bidding for a lot of AMS runs because we are losing AMS".

Take that for what it's worth (coming from a front-line employee), but it suggests that AA is pulling out of AMS entirely. Has anyone heard anything to confirm or negate that statement?
AMS is switching from being operated by LUS aircraft to LAA aircraft, meaning that LUS FAs, who staff LUS planes, would be "losing AMS" -- not that AA as a whole is pulling out.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
AMS is switching from being operated by LUS aircraft to LAA aircraft, meaning that LUS FAs, who staff LUS planes, would be "losing AMS" -- not that AA as a whole is pulling out.
Glad to hear this. Still shocked AA can only put a 75L on their ONE route to AMS from the US. You would think they could at least fill a 767 or A330. I believe UA has 4 direct flights per day there mixed between 763/764 and 789's.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
Glad to hear this. Still shocked AA can only put a 75L on their ONE route to AMS from the US. You would think they could at least fill a 767 or A330. I believe UA has 4 direct flights per day there mixed between 763/764 and 789's.
I'd venture to state that this is a byproduct of AA's overall weak Europe service footprint (excepting LHR, of course, and to a much smaller degree, MAD). So many destinations served by UA/DL on own-metal that AA does not serve at all, or on a very limited basis. The merger has helped, but not that much.

Of course AA's strategy is to funnel pax through LHR; I don't like it any more than most on this board, but that's their thing. AA's historic focus and strength has been LatAm, for better or worse.

Same argument for Asia. With partner hubs in NRT and HKG, AA has not invested much in reaching anything more than the major A-Pac destinations.

ETA - not sure moving from LUS to LAA service to AMS will improve things greatly, unless they upgauge the metal. How much better would an LAA 75L be over what LUS is using out of PHL now?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Exactly. I thought the addition of the PMUS long haul routes would help with a little EU expansion, too. I'm surprised you can fly from so many places to FCO on AA metal, or even ATH (or VCE seasonally!) but there's *one* 757 route per day to the 5th busiest airport in Europe (only about 1.5M annual pax from being the 3rd busiest)

Originally Posted by scnzzz
I'd venture to state that this is a byproduct of AA's overall weak Europe service footprint (excepting LHR, of course, and to a much smaller degree, MAD). So many destinations served by UA/DL on own-metal that AA does not serve at all, or on a very limited basis. The merger has helped, but not that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.