Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
...I highly doubt that AA will start ORD-AMS flights. What's most likely to happen is that the PHL-AMS service will switch from LUS to LAA aircraft and the crews for those flights will most likely be JFK based (same as ORD-DUB which is operated by LUS aircraft with crews based in PHL).
I'm betting on both; the metal switch exactly as you describe (that, I believe is a given according to internal documentation that's been floating around) -and- a brand new AA flight to AMS from a new City.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm betting on both; the metal switch exactly as you describe (that, I believe is a given according to internal documentation that's been floating around) -and- a brand new AA flight to AMS from a new City.
Interesting. Another AMS flight would surprise me given AA's historically minimal presence in the market and the existing competition.

That said, I do think your prediction elsewhere about PHL-ZRH ending is quite plausible - I could see AA maintaining just the single daily JFK-ZRH flight, upgauged to one of the reconfigured 777s.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
You'd be surprised how many of the senior former TWA flight attendants are still around. I know several who started their careers at TWA in the late 60's and early 70's and who are still flying.

I highly doubt that AA will start ORD-AMS flights. What's most likely to happen is that the PHL-AMS service will switch from LUS to LAA aircraft and the crews for those flights will most likely be JFK based (same as ORD-DUB which is operated by LUS aircraft with crews based in PHL).
The PHL-AMS is switching from LUS to LAA 757, it was published quite some time ago and I believe switches in the next few weeks. The flight is being crewed by ORD based LAA crews, thus the job posting for Chicago based Dutch-speaking LAA crews that has lead to all this speculation...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
JFK-AMS (though there's lots of existing ST service) might make sense.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:42 pm

Is there an AA hub that has enough demand to AMS that's not already served by Sky Team, that also makes more sense then collecting connections thru PHL?

I don't know enough to answer that, but DFW maybe, if any.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by sagechan
Is there an AA hub that has enough demand to AMS that's not already served by Sky Team, that also makes more sense then collecting connections thru PHL?

I don't know enough to answer that, but DFW maybe, if any.
DFW is doubtful.

UA has widebody flights from ORD, EWR, IAH and IAD. I certainly hope AA could make an east coast hub work with a widebody.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
DFW is doubtful.

UA has widebody flights from ORD, EWR, IAH and IAD. I certainly hope AA could make an east coast hub work with a widebody.
I agree it's doubtful, but referencing the above speculation I'd say it's slightly more likely than highly competitive ORD. Upgrading PHL if any change at all more likely. My bet is status quo other than the shift of LAA metal taking over.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by sagechan
I agree it's doubtful, but referencing the above speculation I'd say it's slightly more likely than highly competitive ORD. Upgrading PHL if any change at all more likely. My bet is status quo other than the shift of LAA metal taking over.
DFW has 4 direct EU flights on AA: LHR, MAD, CDG and FRA. AMS won't be a 5th.

My bet is on ORD if it's a non-east coast hub... but it'll probably stay on the east coast. I wouldn't put money on anything with the DP AA, though.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
I'd say the odds are in favour of ORD-AMS. JFK-AMS is just too much SkyTeam. Real question is what aircraft will operate this new flight to AMS.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dls25
The PHL-AMS is switching from LUS to LAA 757, it was published quite some time ago and I believe switches in the next few weeks. The flight is being crewed by ORD based LAA crews, thus the job posting for Chicago based Dutch-speaking LAA crews that has lead to all this speculation...
That presumes that envy one participating in this thread is just idly speculating based on that posting, and that's not the case.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
That presumes that envy one participating in this thread is just idly speculating based on that posting, and that's not the case.
Should we take this to mean ORD-AMS is coming? (As in, ORD as compared to any other AA hub)
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Free Agent
What about MIA-AMS?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PBIGuy
What about MIA-AMS?
Sexy!

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Should we take this to mean ORD-AMS is coming? (As in, ORD as compared to any other AA hub)
I take no position on where the new AMS service might be from at this point.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dls25
Are you looking at the same job listing that I'm looking at?
Trainee Flight Attendant - Dutch and English Bilingual
<snip>

All candidates must be willing to be based from any of our base locations including Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, Raleigh-Durham, San Francisco, St. Louis, New York City, Washington D.C.

<snip>

Job Posting:7/21/2016 14:38:18
Requisition ID:1605598
That is the only public listing for Dutch speaking flight attendants. The job listings for flight attendants speaking other foreign languages have the location as USA, not US-TX-Dallas.

Is there an internal proffer for Dutch speaking flight attendants to transfer to ORD?

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 21, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by econometrics
DFW is doubtful.

In reference to UA, there is a lot of Star Alliance connectivity at AMS to other European destinations (LH/OS/SN/LX/TP/LO/A3/SK/OU/TK). Not so much with OneWorld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.