Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Of the major players (excluding WN), AA seems to be the most averse to putting widebodies on any more domestic routes than they absolutely have to for utilization optimization. I mean the 32Ts are nice and all, but there's something to be said for widebody tcon service.

Unless PHX gets a longhaul route or two (which given LAX I think is unlikely), I wouldn't count on any scheduled (seasonal or otherwise) widebody service. With the merged airline and ongoing route optimization I reckon AA can find better uses for the 33x fleet in the low season than putting them on PHX turns.
Well US would have a A330 on the CLT-PHX-CLT route for 6-8 weeks a year during the slow season, was a nice ride going east. As the plane was rotating on take off, push the button to go lay flat and sleep for 4 hours.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
Well, besides replacing the BA 747/777 to LHR with an AA 787 or A330, which seems plausible at least seasonally.
I would think a 787 would make sense then A330, I would like AA to drop the narrow bodies to Hawaii on use a A330, that return (red eye) is horrible.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
After S17, it will be interesting to see which aircraft is used from CLT to Europe after the A333's are retired. Will another aircraft type fly these routes, or will these routes be eliminated?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Well, besides replacing the BA 747/777 to LHR with an AA 787 or A330, which seems plausible at least seasonally.
As far as I'm aware the BA flight is always a 747.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Specifically for the A330-300 replacement, AA has already mentioned the high density 772 will replace A330-300 routes. As per the A330-300 retirement schedule, unless one of the nine requires heavy maintenance before the end of the summer schedule, they will stay through the summer and start to leave after the completion of the schedule in late August. In summer 2018, with the 777 CIP programme complete and hopefully all 777s having W installed and additional 787s delivered, the 777s should be flying more Trans Atlantic flights, especially heavy destinations like CLT/PHL-LHR. The A330-200s will probably do most of the Trans-Atlantic flying from these hubs, but the heavy lifting will be taken up by the 772.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Thanks, Longboater. I'm looking forward to the day that AA actually starts ADDING European flights, vs. cutting them. ^
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
As far as I'm aware the BA flight is always a 747.
It is, and there's no seasonality to the route from what I can tell. It runs at capacity almost every day of the year, and has some of the highest BA North America to Europe fares, though there are a fare amount of airport upgrades sold on the day of departure. Perhaps when the 744 are retired, BA could offer an A35x and AA a 789, though BA is more likely to run the larger A350-1000 to keep capacity near its current level. I wouldn't mind a second flight departing PHX earlier to get better timed connections, but it seems very unlikely.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by econometrics
Thanks, Longboater. I'm looking forward to the day that AA actually starts ADDING European flights, vs. cutting them. ^
Well seasonal DFW-FCO/AMS and ORD-BCN are starting next year.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Longboater
Well seasonal DFW-FCO/AMS and ORD-BCN are starting next year.
True! I was very happy to see the AMS route, especially. Would love to see that stay around permanently.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by CLTRob
After S17, it will be interesting to see which aircraft is used from CLT to Europe after the A333's are retired. Will another aircraft type fly these routes, or will these routes be eliminated?

Rumors having been circulating that CLT will have only LHR and FRA service after the A333's are retired. I think its safe to assume both PHL and CLT will have less T/A in the future with CLT losing most of the seasonal flights. I wouldn't be surprised to see both FCO and BCN pulled for the 2017 flying season with the addition of those routes from DFW.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Cltfc
I think its safe to assume both PHL and CLT will have less T/A in the future with CLT losing most of the seasonal flights.
Hard to imagine PHL losing too much European traffic, given the investments being made and the need to serve Europe without relying too heavily on JFK...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
Hard to imagine PHL losing too much European traffic, given the investments being made and the need to serve Europe without relying too heavily on JFK...
Agreed. ...especially since there are currently 15 direct AA-metal routes to Europe from PHL (including seasonal).

Next closest is JFK at 10, then CLT at 7. DFW/ORD at 6.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
It really is wild how starved a decent-sized hub like PHX is of wide-body metal.
I think PHX should have a nonstop flight to Tokyo (either JAL or AA) based on its size as a hub. PHX-TYO has about the same O&D traffic as DEN-TYO, which has a nonstop on UA because it offers connections on both ends. PHX-TYO could also offer connections on both ends. UA's DEN-NRT flight is 17% local traffic, 35% bridge traffic, 26% beyond NRT traffic, and 23% behind DEN traffic. I know AA also loses a lot of PHX-Asia traffic to UA, so a flight would really help them out.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
I think PHX should have a nonstop flight to Tokyo (either JAL or AA) based on its size as a hub. PHX-TYO has about the same O&D traffic as DEN-TYO, which has a nonstop on UA because it offers connections on both ends. PHX-TYO could also offer connections on both ends. UA's DEN-NRT flight is 17% local traffic, 35% bridge traffic, 26% beyond NRT traffic, and 23% behind DEN traffic. I know AA also loses a lot of PHX-Asia traffic to UA, so a flight would really help them out.
AA wants you to fly to LAX and connect from there. If that's not what you want to do then, as you point out, there are other choices in air travel for you.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:00 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by Cltfc
Rumors having been circulating that CLT will have only LHR and FRA service after the A333's are retired. I think its safe to assume both PHL and CLT will have less T/A in the future with CLT losing most of the seasonal flights. I wouldn't be surprised to see both FCO and BCN pulled for the 2017 flying season with the addition of those routes from DFW.
While I don't disagree that some TATL routes may be dropped from CLT, I have a hard time believing AA would go from CLT-DUB/LHR/CDG/MAD/BCN/FCO/FRA down to just LHR and FRA.

In the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see BCN being dropped. But I see AA keeping DUB, CDG, and MAD around, as both are OW (future OW in the case of DUB) hubs, and I have heard time and time again that MAD eventually will go year round. FCO sticking around wouldn't surprise me as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.