Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Complimentary Drink and Snack in AA Main Cabin for Executive Platinum, oneworld Emerald and Concierge Key

from post #357 by flight62, 4 Oct 2015:

Beginning October 17 (2015), Executive Platinum and Concierge Key customers (EP/KEY) traveling in the Main Cabin on former LUS metal may select any complimentary food item from the MarketPlace menu, including snack boxes and fresh food offerings on applicable flights.

The recognition benefit will then be fully aligned on both carriers to include: À la carte snacks, snack boxes, fresh meals, beer, spirits and non-premium wine.

Enhancements will be introduced to the MyFlight application on your tablet in early November which will allow you to identify customer frequent flier status. Until then, reference final paperwork per current procedures. It is important that you continue to use the “EP/KEY” complimentary reason code to record these transactions. This step ensures we provision adequate inventory to support the program.

Thank you for recognizing our most valued customers for their loyalty to American through this expanded benefit.
AAdvantage Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey® members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage and one snack flying in Main Cabin (or MCE) on American Airlines or American Eagle. Undocumented, but in the Flight Attendant manual, it seems to include all oneworld Emerald members; see below.

Internal AA documentation specifies (shown in reverse status order):

Complimentary Items

Executive Platinum or Concierge Key:
  • One comp drink
  • One comp food-for-sale item
AAirpass:
  • 2 comp drinks, which may be served to the cardholder and/or companion
  • 1 comp pair of earbuds, or 2 pairs if traveling with a companion
  • 1 comp food-for-sale item, 2 items if traveling with a companion
Language (Dec 2014) from the AA website:

Originally Posted by American Airlines

HAVE A SNACK AND DRINK ON US

Refresh and Relax

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage from our standard alcoholic selections as well as one of our snacks, where available, when flying in the Main Cabin on board American Airlines, American Eagle®, US Airways, and US Airways Express. The snack on American includes any food item on our menu. The snack on US Airways includes any item from our à la carte menu.

Here's What You Do

At the time of your order, just present your AAdvantage Executive Platinum member card or boarding pass, or your ConciergeKey membership card. It's that simple!

What's on the Menu

We continue to revitalize our menu items to deliver an array of fresh and convenient sweet and savory snacks and meals on board our flights. This includes items* such as a chicken Caesar salad or one of our premium sandwiches – both served with chips. You can also treat yourself with hand crafted cookies, a fruit and cheese plate, or a gourmet blend of spiced nuts – which can be perfectly paired with a domestic or imported ice cold beer, a red or white wine from select California and international wineries, or an alcoholic beverage of your choice.

*Eligible customers may select any snack available on board any flight where food is available and one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine on a complimentary basis. Items may vary.

Post editor's emphases.

*Standard alcoholic beverage is one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine. Items may vary.

NOTE: an AA FA (see Post 249) says:

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Actually OWE is listed in our policies to receive a comp ala carte snack and beverage as well as CP, ExPLT and Concierge Key. They are all listed on our manifest as OWE

To view the archived thread/discussion, please see here: ARCHIVE: Free Wine drink and/or minor snack for EXP in Mainline Y

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club
I thought that "snacks" were complementary to EXP (the stuff at the bottom of the page), but not meals (sandwiches, the large fruit/cheese/cracker tray, etc.).
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:27 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lotusdog

The way I read AA's published policy, the sandwich clearly qualified as complimentary. Inadvertantly missing a row during service is excusable, but not knowing AA's policy is not.
I'd suggest sending a note to AA. I believe I've read somewhere either up-thread or in another thread that a member who got charged was sent a $10 evoucher as a "refund."

Originally Posted by flyingchief
I thought that "snacks" were complementary to EXP (the stuff at the bottom of the page), but not meals (sandwiches, the large fruit/cheese/cracker tray, etc.).
No, please take a look at the link and mod note in the first post of this thread.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/complimentary.jsp

AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and ConciergeKeySM members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage from our standard alcoholic selections as well as one of our snacks or meals, where available, when flying in the Main Cabin onboard American Airlines and American Eagle.
We continue to revitalize our menu items to deliver an array of fresh and convenient sweet and savory snacks and meals onboard our flights. This includes items* such as a chicken Caesar salad or one of our premium sandwiches – both served with chips. You can also treat yourself with hand crafted cookies, a fruit and cheese plate, or a gourmet blend of spiced nuts – which can be perfectly paired with a domestic or imported ice cold beer, a red or white wine from select California and international wineries, or an alcoholic beverage of your choice.
*Eligible customers may select any snack or meal available onboard any flight where food is available and one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine on a complimentary basis. Items may vary.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JY1024
I'd suggest sending a note to AA. I believe I've read somewhere either up-thread or in another thread that a member who got charged was sent a $10 evoucher as a "refund."
Well, there may have been others, but I certainly did. It was $20 for two sandwiches. This was before the policy was officially-documented and I even had to correct the first response from CS . Now, there really is no excuse.

Cheers.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
The menu for the food items available for purchase now states that items are complimentary for Executive Platinum AAdvantage members.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
You know what? I don't even care anymore. I flew JFK-LAX on AA 185 the other night (departing at 9:35pm) and I simply paid them the $31 they charged for a plate of crackers/cheese and alcoholic drink (still seems kind of high). Too tired of all this.

But am looking forward to getting that 25% discount given to Citibank Platinum Citi AAdvantage Visa which is how I paid.

Now back to restful sleep while I can get it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:30 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I've flown in main cabin exactly one time this year. (Party of two, only one upgrade cleared, I gave it to spouse.) While in coach, when the cart came around I asked FA what kind of BOB meal can someone get if they have a card like this (holding up my EXP card). She said "anything you want".

Status ~rocks~.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:12 am

Last flight in coach, yesterday, FA greeted me by name and asked what I wanted. I said sandwich and wine and that was it. No discussion of EXP, cards, or payment.

I did hear the other FA mention my seat number before she greeted me and they were scanning a sheet of paper, so they were on top of identifying all the EXPs. ^
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Last flight in coach, yesterday, FA greeted me by name and asked what I wanted. I did hear the other FA mention my seat number before she greeted me and they were scanning a sheet of paper, so they were on top of identifying all the EXPs. ^
I've had the same experience, even to the point of them asking: "are you sure there isn't anything you want?"

MO
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Last flight in coach, yesterday, FA greeted me by name and asked what I wanted. I said sandwich and wine and that was it. No discussion of EXP, cards, or payment.

I did hear the other FA mention my seat number before she greeted me and they were scanning a sheet of paper, so they were on top of identifying all the EXPs. ^
Well, that didn't last long. I recently not only had to remind my FA of the policy, but they then joked, "I guess I was supposed to greet you before we took off, wasn't I? <chuckle>"
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep, it's happened to me also - mainline and Eagle. "Are you SURE?"

AA needs to hire sinanju as a mystery passenger...

Originally Posted by MachOne
I've had the same experience, even to the point of them asking: "are you sure there isn't anything you want?"

MO
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:55 pm

A couple of the recent Eagle flights I was on had the FA offer me a food item. I was surprised, as I'm only Platinum right now, not EXP.

I'm curious if this is a new policy or if I just got lucky and the FA thought I was EXP.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bttc
A couple of the recent Eagle flights I was on had the FA offer me a food item. I was surprised, as I'm only Platinum right now, not EXP.

I'm curious if this is a new policy or if I just got lucky and the FA thought I was EXP.
Eagle used to give food to PLT, but they discontinued this a while ago. One way or the other, working out well for you! ^
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Do you look like an EXP?

Originally Posted by Bttc

Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yep, it's happened to me also - mainline and Eagle. "Are you SURE?"

AA needs to hire sinanju as a mystery passenger...
Yeah... I don't know what it is... misaligned stars... karma ran over my dogma... something like that. AA and I just aren't getting along anymore.

I'll give them this much... they've called me twice to offer compenstation for various crap. That said, I've turned them down twice telling them I didn't complain so I could get vouchers; I complained so they could make the service stop sucking.

But, hey, if it's just me, that's fine. At least someone is enjoying it.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Wife and I, along with my 2 rugrats (7 & 10)) were flying LGA-XXX-DFW at the end of spring break on milesaavers in coach. The Eagle FA was freaking awesome. I asked what type snacks they had today, and got the usual Cheese/Cracker box (way better on AE, IMHO), then she said be right back. She walked up to the galley in F and walked back with 3 additional boxed of Cheese/Cracker boxes, and handed them to me. She said your family has to eat too. She then helped the folks behind us, walked back 30 seconds later and handed me a trailmix saying "kids get hungry, here's for later".

I love AA's service, but that right there made a huge difference in the flight. It probably "cost" them $5 in expense to do that, but made my wife and kids very happy and very impressed with the service.

This is a great perk. Kuddos to AA to doing this.

Although another story from the same trip, the AA FA did a double take on the way up to NYC, when my 10 year old was in my seat, and I was across the aisle. She looked at the row and saw 2 kids and a woman...clearly not a EXP guy. She looked down at her new handheld, then back at the row, when I leaned over and introduced myself. She for the rest of the flight referred to my 10 year old as the EXP... which of course he was loving. Crap, I just realized I hooked my son on this at 10. Oops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.