Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Complimentary Drink and Snack in AA Main Cabin for Executive Platinum, oneworld Emerald and Concierge Key

from post #357 by flight62, 4 Oct 2015:

Beginning October 17 (2015), Executive Platinum and Concierge Key customers (EP/KEY) traveling in the Main Cabin on former LUS metal may select any complimentary food item from the MarketPlace menu, including snack boxes and fresh food offerings on applicable flights.

The recognition benefit will then be fully aligned on both carriers to include: À la carte snacks, snack boxes, fresh meals, beer, spirits and non-premium wine.

Enhancements will be introduced to the MyFlight application on your tablet in early November which will allow you to identify customer frequent flier status. Until then, reference final paperwork per current procedures. It is important that you continue to use the “EP/KEY” complimentary reason code to record these transactions. This step ensures we provision adequate inventory to support the program.

Thank you for recognizing our most valued customers for their loyalty to American through this expanded benefit.
AAdvantage Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey® members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage and one snack flying in Main Cabin (or MCE) on American Airlines or American Eagle. Undocumented, but in the Flight Attendant manual, it seems to include all oneworld Emerald members; see below.

Internal AA documentation specifies (shown in reverse status order):

Complimentary Items

Executive Platinum or Concierge Key:
  • One comp drink
  • One comp food-for-sale item
AAirpass:
  • 2 comp drinks, which may be served to the cardholder and/or companion
  • 1 comp pair of earbuds, or 2 pairs if traveling with a companion
  • 1 comp food-for-sale item, 2 items if traveling with a companion
Language (Dec 2014) from the AA website:

Originally Posted by American Airlines

HAVE A SNACK AND DRINK ON US

Refresh and Relax

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage from our standard alcoholic selections as well as one of our snacks, where available, when flying in the Main Cabin on board American Airlines, American Eagle®, US Airways, and US Airways Express. The snack on American includes any food item on our menu. The snack on US Airways includes any item from our à la carte menu.

Here's What You Do

At the time of your order, just present your AAdvantage Executive Platinum member card or boarding pass, or your ConciergeKey membership card. It's that simple!

What's on the Menu

We continue to revitalize our menu items to deliver an array of fresh and convenient sweet and savory snacks and meals on board our flights. This includes items* such as a chicken Caesar salad or one of our premium sandwiches – both served with chips. You can also treat yourself with hand crafted cookies, a fruit and cheese plate, or a gourmet blend of spiced nuts – which can be perfectly paired with a domestic or imported ice cold beer, a red or white wine from select California and international wineries, or an alcoholic beverage of your choice.

*Eligible customers may select any snack available on board any flight where food is available and one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine on a complimentary basis. Items may vary.

Post editor's emphases.

*Standard alcoholic beverage is one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine. Items may vary.

NOTE: an AA FA (see Post 249) says:

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Actually OWE is listed in our policies to receive a comp ala carte snack and beverage as well as CP, ExPLT and Concierge Key. They are all listed on our manifest as OWE

To view the archived thread/discussion, please see here: ARCHIVE: Free Wine drink and/or minor snack for EXP in Mainline Y

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
ive never heard of an FA who didnt know what a EXP was. They all have worked for AA for at least 10 years - since they havent hired anyone since then.
Something doesn't sound right here...unless the poster said "EXP."

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:58 pm

If travelling with a partner, any reason you can't ask for an extra glass to share your alcohol/snack?

(I'm operating under the presumption that the policy is you get one free of each per flight, and not as many as you want.)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nall
If travelling with a partner, any reason you can't ask for an extra glass to share your alcohol/snack?
I don't see any reason why an FA would object to having you share your goodies, unless you were trying to give alcohol to a minor.

Originally Posted by nall
(I'm operating under the presumption that the policy is you get one free of each per flight, and not as many as you want.)
Yes, that is correct; the official policy states one of each.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:36 pm

The later night DFW to LAX flights (9PM, 10PM) list as "refreshments" for first class. And they list snacks as available for purchase.

From a meal perspective, it seems an EXP might best not be upgraded, as the EXP would receive a sandwich in coach and nothing in first class. Correct?
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tribe_has_spoken
The later night DFW to LAX flights (9PM, 10PM) list as "refreshments" for first class. And they list snacks as available for purchase.

From a meal perspective, it seems an EXP might best not be upgraded, as the EXP would receive a sandwich in coach and nothing in first class. Correct?
They rarely have sandwiches available in coach on ~short late night flights, but whatever they do have would be available to an EXP for free. In first at least you'd be guaranteed warm nuts and a fresh baked cookie.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
[QUOTE=JY1024;19328022]I don't see any reason why an FA would object to having you share your goodies, unless you were trying to give alcohol to a minor.

I was able to get a cocktail for my wife without charge (she is note elite) on a flight between DFW and PHX in September when we were in economy.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
When did Plats lose their free drink on Eagle?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
When did Plats lose their free drink on Eagle?
June 1, 2011
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Shows how long it's been since I was last Plat.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club
The FA just gave me a turkey sandwich at no charge on my return flight to DFW from SEA. He felt bad after questioning whether or not I really was EXP and had to show him on the AA app on my iPhone since the AA system had me listed on his manifest as PLT instead of EXP because I was PLT when I booked the flight and requested an upgrade in October. Long story and a stupid glitch.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingchief
The FA just gave me a turkey sandwich at no charge on my return flight to DFW from SEA. He felt bad after questioning whether or not I really was EXP and had to show him on the AA app on my iPhone since the AA system had me listed on his manifest as PLT instead of EXP because I was PLT when I booked the flight and requested an upgrade in October. Long story and a stupid glitch.
Had you called after making EXP and prior to the flight to have your reservation "refreshed?" It's not always necessary, but is in enough cases that it's worth doing to have the reservation reflect properly.

Cheers.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
fA tonight asked if I was really EXP after handing him my card. No, I bought this card on eBay.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
ive never heard of an FA who didnt know what a EXP was. They all have worked for AA for at least 10 years - since they havent hired anyone since then.
Flew Eagle yesterday, DFW - FSM and the FA was on her first flight by herself. Recently hired. I thought she seemed new but it wasn't anything negative she just seemed a little inexperienced so I asked her and she told me AE hired 31 new FA. A guy was sitting in my seat, 7A so I just sat in his seat 6A and when I asked about a snack she said "Are you an Advantage member"? I told her I was EXP and she looked at my seat and said I thought you were in 7A and that is when the guy spoke up and said he sat in the wrong seat.

Rod
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club
Originally Posted by brp
Had you called after making EXP and prior to the flight to have your reservation "refreshed?" It's not always necessary, but is in enough cases that it's worth doing to have the reservation reflect properly.

Cheers.
I didn't think I needed to since on my outbound flight on Tuesday from DFW to SEA, my boarding pass had EXP on it.

I have since made sure that my request for my outbound flight this Sunday PM as well as the return from PHL on Wednesday AM have been "refreshed". I still don't have a significant level of confidence though in AA's systems to expect a positive outcome.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
No free snack

I'm glad this thread was bumped to remind me. On DFW-LAX flight recently, UG didn't clear, and was in aisle of 2nd exit row. Seems to be the split point for the cart and FA's taking orders.

Ordered my wine and had to advise FA who wanted to charge me, that I was EXP and I showed her my card. They took snack orders for the row in front, but next they were taking snack orders for the row behind and started moving backward completely skipping our row.

I quickly flagged the same FA (I was truly hungry after a tight connection in DFW) and asked for a chicken sandwich as that's all I could remember from what I had overhead being offered to other passengers. She gave me the sandwich and then said "I'll have to charge you for this". I thought maybe the sandwich didn't qualify, so just gave her my credit card without questioning it. No one else in the row ordered alcohol, or cared that they weren't offered food for purchase.

The way I read AA's published policy, the sandwich clearly qualified as complimentary. Inadvertantly missing a row during service is excusable, but not knowing AA's policy is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.