Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Complimentary Drink and Snack in AA Main Cabin for Executive Platinum, oneworld Emerald and Concierge Key

from post #357 by flight62, 4 Oct 2015:

Beginning October 17 (2015), Executive Platinum and Concierge Key customers (EP/KEY) traveling in the Main Cabin on former LUS metal may select any complimentary food item from the MarketPlace menu, including snack boxes and fresh food offerings on applicable flights.

The recognition benefit will then be fully aligned on both carriers to include: Ŕ la carte snacks, snack boxes, fresh meals, beer, spirits and non-premium wine.

Enhancements will be introduced to the MyFlight application on your tablet in early November which will allow you to identify customer frequent flier status. Until then, reference final paperwork per current procedures. It is important that you continue to use the “EP/KEY” complimentary reason code to record these transactions. This step ensures we provision adequate inventory to support the program.

Thank you for recognizing our most valued customers for their loyalty to American through this expanded benefit.
AAdvantage Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey® members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage and one snack flying in Main Cabin (or MCE) on American Airlines or American Eagle. Undocumented, but in the Flight Attendant manual, it seems to include all oneworld Emerald members; see below.

Internal AA documentation specifies (shown in reverse status order):

Complimentary Items

Executive Platinum or Concierge Key:
  • One comp drink
  • One comp food-for-sale item
AAirpass:
  • 2 comp drinks, which may be served to the cardholder and/or companion
  • 1 comp pair of earbuds, or 2 pairs if traveling with a companion
  • 1 comp food-for-sale item, 2 items if traveling with a companion
Language (Dec 2014) from the AA website:

Originally Posted by American Airlines

HAVE A SNACK AND DRINK ON US

Refresh and Relax

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage from our standard alcoholic selections as well as one of our snacks, where available, when flying in the Main Cabin on board American Airlines, American Eagle®, US Airways, and US Airways Express. The snack on American includes any food item on our menu. The snack on US Airways includes any item from our ŕ la carte menu.

Here's What You Do

At the time of your order, just present your AAdvantage Executive Platinum member card or boarding pass, or your ConciergeKey membership card. It's that simple!

What's on the Menu

We continue to revitalize our menu items to deliver an array of fresh and convenient sweet and savory snacks and meals on board our flights. This includes items* such as a chicken Caesar salad or one of our premium sandwiches – both served with chips. You can also treat yourself with hand crafted cookies, a fruit and cheese plate, or a gourmet blend of spiced nuts – which can be perfectly paired with a domestic or imported ice cold beer, a red or white wine from select California and international wineries, or an alcoholic beverage of your choice.

*Eligible customers may select any snack available on board any flight where food is available and one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine on a complimentary basis. Items may vary.

Post editor's emphases.

*Standard alcoholic beverage is one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine. Items may vary.

NOTE: an AA FA (see Post 249) says:

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Actually OWE is listed in our policies to receive a comp ala carte snack and beverage as well as CP, ExPLT and Concierge Key. They are all listed on our manifest as OWE

To view the archived thread/discussion, please see here: ARCHIVE: Free Wine drink and/or minor snack for EXP in Mainline Y

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2023, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Incorrect -- MCE only gets an alcoholic beverage. The food is for EXP/CK (whether in MCE or not).
Hmmm, the one time I flew MCE before I had status I got it. But maybe that was because it was premium transcon.

EDIT: You are definitely correct, as I just got free pringles in MCE, and another guy in my row has to pay for his almonds.

In related news, I asked about the charcuterie plate (still listed on the web page) and the FA told me that it had been discontinued and replaced with a fruit and cheese plate (which was unfortunately not catered on this flight, hence the pringles)
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Sep 30, 2023 at 6:45 pm
Old Sep 30, 2023, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Back when AA catered nice sandwiches and food this was a benefit I used frequently. Remember when AA used to have Zoe's Kitchen items? Those days are dead.
To be fair, so is Zoe's Kitchen... ("Merged" with Cava). But I do miss that pre-order option in domestic First.

In the last two weeks, I've been offered a BoB item in MC and MCE as per status. In theory, the tablet should indicate status and you won't be charged, whether or not the FA wants to try. (In. Theory.)
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Tell them that EXPs receive a complimentary food-for-purchase item. If they refuse, one option is to pay for it and then request a refund from AA.
this has been my strategy. No point trying to teach the basics of their job, just let AA deal with it and refund you.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted as to how FAs don't know about this. Its been a decade or therabouts. Even subway (not known for having good franchise control, staff longevity, even good franchise-corporate relations or anything) managed to roll out a new menu without requiring years of glassy eyes and clueless looks.

Not to mention that there's a tablet literally laying it out for you.

Last edited by Antarius; Sep 30, 2023 at 11:22 pm
Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Most of my flight purchases are within 24-48 hours of departure, so I often don’t even get to select an MCE seat. My upgrade success is pretty good, but I have to say that overall I get pretty good service when flying in coach. If food is available for purchase I get a snack. If no BOB for the plane, then I don’t get anything, but double Tito’s is pretty much the norm.

I was recently on a short trip where I must have been the only EXP in coach. I was in the exit row, and the FA served me before starting service for the rest of the plane. Gotta be honest… I felt kinda special then.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Most of my flight purchases are within 24-48 hours of departure, so I often don’t even get to select an MCE seat. My upgrade success is pretty good, but I have to say that overall I get pretty good service when flying in coach. If food is available for purchase I get a snack. If no BOB for the plane, then I don’t get anything, but double Tito’s is pretty much the norm.

I was recently on a short trip where I must have been the only EXP in coach. I was in the exit row, and the FA served me before starting service for the rest of the plane. Gotta be honest… I felt kinda special then.
completely agree. I’m flying every other week on a route where upgrades are difficult to clear, but during the approximate 50% of the time I’m in the back, the FAs have always taken good care of me. At minimum, free snack and double drink if I would like it. At best, coming back multiple times during the flight to check on me and see if I need anything else. I have to say I’ve been quite pleased over the past few months.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by kg07
completely agree. I’m flying every other week on a route where upgrades are difficult to clear, but during the approximate 50% of the time I’m in the back, the FAs have always taken good care of me. At minimum, free snack and double drink if I would like it. At best, coming back multiple times during the flight to check on me and see if I need anything else. I have to say I’ve been quite pleased over the past few months.
I was recently on a short one hour flight hub to hub seated in MCE. When the cart came by flight attendant started service to me by apologizing I'm so sorry we don't have your snack, give me my drink, and said "I'm sure you don't fly in the back very often but we like having you back here and will take good care of you"
I definitely don't pay for first so I'm actually in the back in MCE a decent amount of flights, spite what the FA thinks! My two seat mates were thrilled to have me tell them they got free booze, they had no idea.

But I appreciated the flight attendant taking initiative and she knew all about the snack benefit for exp. Her extra attention and talking about it made me feel special, In spite of my upgrade not clearing as being#1 on the waitlist of 60 losers 🤣
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
A new variation happened this week - on a DEN-PHL leg, there was no BoB; however the First Class FA brought back the Haagen-Dazs (Dulce de leche) ice cream cups and thanked each EP (the only thing I heard, but would assume Emeralds/CK) and offered one. The rest of the row was confused, but understanding. At least they knew MCE came with a choice of beverage. The rest of the main cabin crew was not memorable either way, so it was a nice touch.
AAway likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Exec Plat free food item in domestic Y

As an Exec Plat I have actually not flown in AA domestic economy. Am I right that I get a free food item? And it looks like the only items right now are nuts, Pringles, breakfast bag, or cheese plate on a PHX-EWR flight?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
As an Exec Plat I have actually not flown in AA domestic economy. Am I right that I get a free food item? And it looks like the only items right now are nuts, Pringles, breakfast bag, or cheese plate on a PHX-EWR flight?
Yeah the cheese plate replaced the charcuterie recently. It's not a meal, just a big snack. I've always gotten it.

It won't be offered, you have to ask. But they won't charge you for it. I usually ask when they do the drink service, but if they don't do the service you can ring the bell and ask.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Two recent and pleasurable experiences with the snack in Y. First flight, was seated in the back set of exit rows, and when boarding the usual FA was standing there. Asked while taking my seat if I could “reserve” a F&C since I know they tend to run out in the first few rows sometimes. FA mentioned “oh, you get it for free” after looking at her device. She dropped it off while heading down the aisle to start the drink service.

Return flight, sitting in first set of exit row, FAs come down the aisle, look at their devices and proactively find the two EXPs sitting in Y, asking if they want the F&C before they run out and sell the rest.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Bonvoy
In MCE and the FA proactively offered me a fruit and cheese plate during service. Very nice since it sounded like they only loaded with 3 total.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ORDbird
In MCE and the FA proactively offered me a fruit and cheese plate during service. Very nice since it sounded like they only loaded with 3 total.
3 in total? WOW, AA really wants to win the Biggest Forecasting Ignoramus Award this year!
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by fly747first
3 in total? WOW, AA really wants to win the Biggest Forecasting Ignoramus Award this year!
haha… they also could have been talking about the bubbles; so maybe they had more snacks.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
CLT to SXM in MCE on 1/31, 3 & 4 on the upgrade list (but a 319 so no chance) - was greeted and offered a 'breakfast box'

SXM to CLT in MCE on 2/4, 1 & 2 on the list (also a 319, and a deadheading pilot got the only available seat) - was offered an FC tray.

As far as the comp snack/beverage goes, a very pleasant experience both flights. The flight crew on the second flight weren't quite on their 'A' game.. Only a single drink service on a 3.5+ hour flight on the smallest plane in the mainline fleet and not one, but TWO 5+ minute pitches for that damn credit card.
enviroian, BERGBRLY and aj411 like this.

Last edited by ptsailor; Feb 10, 2024 at 4:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.