Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Complimentary Drink and Snack in AA Main Cabin for Executive Platinum, oneworld Emerald and Concierge Key

from post #357 by flight62, 4 Oct 2015:

Beginning October 17 (2015), Executive Platinum and Concierge Key customers (EP/KEY) traveling in the Main Cabin on former LUS metal may select any complimentary food item from the MarketPlace menu, including snack boxes and fresh food offerings on applicable flights.

The recognition benefit will then be fully aligned on both carriers to include: À la carte snacks, snack boxes, fresh meals, beer, spirits and non-premium wine.

Enhancements will be introduced to the MyFlight application on your tablet in early November which will allow you to identify customer frequent flier status. Until then, reference final paperwork per current procedures. It is important that you continue to use the “EP/KEY” complimentary reason code to record these transactions. This step ensures we provision adequate inventory to support the program.

Thank you for recognizing our most valued customers for their loyalty to American through this expanded benefit.
AAdvantage Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey® members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage and one snack flying in Main Cabin (or MCE) on American Airlines or American Eagle. Undocumented, but in the Flight Attendant manual, it seems to include all oneworld Emerald members; see below.

Internal AA documentation specifies (shown in reverse status order):

Complimentary Items

Executive Platinum or Concierge Key:
  • One comp drink
  • One comp food-for-sale item
AAirpass:
  • 2 comp drinks, which may be served to the cardholder and/or companion
  • 1 comp pair of earbuds, or 2 pairs if traveling with a companion
  • 1 comp food-for-sale item, 2 items if traveling with a companion
Language (Dec 2014) from the AA website:

Originally Posted by American Airlines

HAVE A SNACK AND DRINK ON US

Refresh and Relax

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage from our standard alcoholic selections as well as one of our snacks, where available, when flying in the Main Cabin on board American Airlines, American Eagle®, US Airways, and US Airways Express. The snack on American includes any food item on our menu. The snack on US Airways includes any item from our à la carte menu.

Here's What You Do

At the time of your order, just present your AAdvantage Executive Platinum member card or boarding pass, or your ConciergeKey membership card. It's that simple!

What's on the Menu

We continue to revitalize our menu items to deliver an array of fresh and convenient sweet and savory snacks and meals on board our flights. This includes items* such as a chicken Caesar salad or one of our premium sandwiches – both served with chips. You can also treat yourself with hand crafted cookies, a fruit and cheese plate, or a gourmet blend of spiced nuts – which can be perfectly paired with a domestic or imported ice cold beer, a red or white wine from select California and international wineries, or an alcoholic beverage of your choice.

*Eligible customers may select any snack available on board any flight where food is available and one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine on a complimentary basis. Items may vary.

Post editor's emphases.

*Standard alcoholic beverage is one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine. Items may vary.

NOTE: an AA FA (see Post 249) says:

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Actually OWE is listed in our policies to receive a comp ala carte snack and beverage as well as CP, ExPLT and Concierge Key. They are all listed on our manifest as OWE

To view the archived thread/discussion, please see here: ARCHIVE: Free Wine drink and/or minor snack for EXP in Mainline Y

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-official.html
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Thanks - The posters imply here is that a greeting usually happens. It was just a surprise that I got a barely audible "oh yes" reaction to my question the second time around.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Thanks - The posters imply here is that a greeting usually happens. It was just a surprise that I got a barely audible "oh yes" reaction to my question the second time around.
Really? The greeting is really quite the exception.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If I were a frequent patron of a better restaurant, I would expect to be greeted personally and welcomed. If I am flying in cattle class in a full aircraft in the USA, I would expect transportation. No sarcasm intended, that's the way it seems to be.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
[QUOTE=fishferbrains;18916363]and my last minute booking (>$2500 RT) landed me in a middle seat that I luckily was able to move at the gate. /QUOTE]

(>$2500 RT) Coach 757 - OUUUCH!!!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Any recognition of status was absent. Am I confusing AA with AS/BA/AF/KLM in thinking that someone might drop by and say "Welcome" to the Elites in back?

Was this something that went away at some point?
They are supposed to do it, but the FAs have told me they don't always get the manifest that shows where the EXPs are sitting. I dunno if that's the case or just an excuse.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:45 am

Free snack in main cabin

Are there any restrictions on the type of snack you can get when seated in the main cabin? The reason I ask is because I am currently on a 737 and asked for a chicken sandwich and the FAs seemed reluctant to give it to me.

Typically when I get a snack its the spiced nuts and usually the FAs know that I am an EXP before asking if I'd like anything. This time, they didn't acknowledge I was EXP so I showed them my EXP card after I asked for the sandwich, but they didn't seem to believe I was EXP. I did have an entire 3 seat row to myself so I moved to the center seat, but I assumed they would have figured it out.

I just want to make sure I'm not overreaching on the free snack benefit.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DougDons
Are there any restrictions on the type of snack you can get when seated in the main cabin? The reason I ask is because I am currently on a 737 and asked for a chicken sandwich and the FAs seemed reluctant to give it to me.

Typically when I get a snack its the spiced nuts and usually the FAs know that I am an EXP before asking if I'd like anything. This time, they didn't acknowledge I was EXP so I showed them my EXP card after I asked for the sandwich, but they didn't seem to believe I was EXP. I did have an entire 3 seat row to myself so I moved to the center seat, but I assumed they would have figured it out.

I just want to make sure I'm not overreaching on the free snack benefit.

The AA Exec Plat membership guide links to this URL here that states

We continue to revitalize our menu items to deliver an array of fresh and convenient sweet and savory snacks and meals onboard our flights. This includes items* such as a chicken Caesar salad or one of our premium sandwiches – both served with chips. You can also treat yourself with hand crafted cookies, a fruit and cheese plate, or a gourmet blend of spiced nuts – which can be perfectly paired with a domestic or imported ice cold beer, a red or white wine from select California and international wineries, or an alcoholic beverage of your choice.
Unless I am reading this incorrectly, you are well within your right to ask for a sandwich.

Last edited by Antarius; Sep 14, 2012 at 11:00 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
The AA Exec Plat membership guide links to this URL here that states

Unless I am reading this incorrectly, you are well within your right to ask for a sandwich.
Sandwiches are definitely complimentary for EXP. In fact, I just experienced the pre-order trial on my next flight to LAX -- and the pre-order explicitly notes that the sandwich is comp since I am EXP.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Wow I never had an issue getting a sandwich those few times I am stuck in steerage. One of the FA's actually gave me a second one during the flight and a couple of extra drinks. Maybe you need to smile more =)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
I've been greeted and thanked for my business a few times - LAX/PHX, when there is no F cabin, and have had to show my card a couple of times, and other times I was going to be charged by FA and told her I was EXP and she just said, OH, OK, HERE YOU GO, ENJOY!.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
No. EXP Only.

Incidentally, this has worked out great. Had to sit in coach twice since this was officially published on AA.COM and although the FA's didn't have a list with them to immediately acknowledge I was EXP, I just handed them my card when they asked for payment. They seemed to appreciate that as it was an "on the down low" kind of move that didn't raise notice with my neighbors.

It must have been communicated well as prior to this a lot of FA's didn't know the policy well.
Actually, my last flight, and one of the few with a companion, the FA, TEE, a Wonderful woman, LAX/PHX, gave me AND my companion two bottles of wine (each) and a snack, gratis. She is, unfortunately for me and everyone else on her flights, moving back to ORD and won't be doing the LAX/PHX route any more. She is one of the best FAs overall, in all of AA network. Wish she was on AA, not American Eagle.

Roxanne on that route, PHX/LAX, is just as nice though and hopefully she won't be moved around. It's amazing, as of late, that the American Eagle FAs seem to be sooo much nicer than the FAs on AA metal. Time for a switcheroo, I think.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Wow I never had an issue getting a sandwich those few times I am stuck in steerage. One of the FA's actually gave me a second one during the flight and a couple of extra drinks. Maybe you need to smile more =)
Ha or not dress like a bum, I am sure my athletic shorts and a t-shirt don't give off the EXP vibe.

Thanks for all the replies by the way, I appreciate the feedback.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:36 pm

Had to use this benefit on a 6:45 PM Saturday departure from ORD to LGA where I was 4th on the MD-80 UG list (yes, no UGs available on a Saturday night). The FAs told me they did not know what EXP was, nor do they have Baileys, then Brandy, then Glenlivet in the main cabin. Finally we reached an understanding of my status, and they brought Baileys from the F cabin.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
ive never heard of an FA who didnt know what a EXP was. They all have worked for AA for at least 10 years - since they havent hired anyone since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.