Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:29 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mhankosky
I will be flying to LHR from ORD tomorrow night. I am debating on doing my normal Check In Online 24 Hours before departure or to wait and check in at the airport tomorrow.

I have to check bags, so i have to stop at the kiosk / agent anyway. I want to know if other people have been offered those "Kiosk" upgrades to Business or First class at checkin at the airport on American. i hear that if you check in on the internet / phone ahead of time, you don't get those offers and will never see them.

Anyone know any truth to that?
I know I'm way late to the party, but just to add another data point to the mix...

I had a recent itinerary that included a ORD-LHR leg. Kiosk offered an upgrade from Y->J for $410 (on a CIP 763).
Old May 1, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
LBFU (cash) upgrades prices

Hi guys,

I was just wondering, is there a thread with a recent "price list " for cash upgrades (lbfu)?

I m looking at the lhr jfk route
Old May 2, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, is there a thread with a recent "price list " for cash upgrades (lbfu)?

I m looking at the lhr jfk route
Day-of-departure upgrade pricing is said to vary depending on route and fare paid, but in practice they seem to price fairly consistently at about $50 per 500 miles. I would estimate $350-$500 for that flight.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Day-of-departure upgrade pricing is said to vary depending on route and fare paid, but in practice they seem to price fairly consistently at about $50 per 500 miles. I would estimate $350-$500 for that flight.
Hm last year I paid $400 ex JFK

Do you think it would be something similar ex LHR ? Do they offer them ex LHR? does anyone have a rough idea of how often they offer them?

Thanks
Old May 2, 2016, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I was offered $500 J to F upgrade (old three class 777-200ER) AA111 FCO-ORD May 3 at OLCI, but then told the request could not be handled on aa.com.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Worth it?

AA no status

Is it worth it to pay $140 for DTW-MIA UG?

I know it's personal...

I didn't do it, but at the gate I noticed people on the upgrade list on the app.

Was I offered the UG anyway because of my Kryptonium Delta status as an unpublished benefit?

I thought about buying the UG after checkin, and went back and the offer was gone.
Old May 16, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, *Gold, Skyteam E+
ZRH-JFK. Upgrade available but told I was not eligible

Flight looked empty - both J and Y. Asked at check-in counter if upgrades were available. Was told yes and it would be $475. The agent called over her colleague to process the upgrade. He checked and said T fare class i.e. award travel was not eligible for upgrade. I asked him to double check and he did try to process the upgrade but got an error stating "Passenger not eligible for day of departure upgrade"....

Was ok in the end as flight was empty and we had throne' seats in row 21. However, the lack of IFE made the flight feel a lot longer than it actually was.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
AA no status

Is it worth it to pay $140 for DTW-MIA UG?

I know it's personal...

I didn't do it, but at the gate I noticed people on the upgrade list on the app.

Was I offered the UG anyway because of my Kryptonium Delta status as an unpublished benefit?

I thought about buying the UG after checkin, and went back and the offer was gone.
Only if you can consume $140 worth of free drinks on the flight (or need the extra weight allowance); otherwise domestic F on a 737 really isn't worth it.

Day-of-departure upgrades are offered to all passengers during check-in as long as there are enough seats remaining in the premium cabin to accommodate elite upgrade requests and any possible last-minute walk-up purchases.

It's possible that no one had requested an upgrade when you checked in and then some elites changed their minds, which made the upgrade no longer available, or maybe someone else just bought the upgrade when offered.

Originally Posted by LAXR202W
Flight looked empty - both J and Y. Asked at check-in counter if upgrades were available. Was told yes and it would be $475. The agent called over her colleague to process the upgrade. He checked and said T fare class i.e. award travel was not eligible for upgrade. I asked him to double check and he did try to process the upgrade but got an error stating "Passenger not eligible for day of departure upgrade"....
That makes sense, conaidering even elites aren't able to upgrade from T inventory on markets eligible for electronic upgrades.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Was ok in the end as flight was empty and we had throne' seats in row 21. However, the lack of IFE made the flight feel a lot longer than it actually was.
NOt too sure if this really make sense, AA lost $475,
Old May 18, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, *Gold, Skyteam E+
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Only if you can consume $140 worth of free drinks on the flight (or need the extra weight allowance); otherwise domestic F on a 737 really isn't worth it.

Day-of-departure upgrades are offered to all passengers during check-in as long as there are enough seats remaining in the premium cabin to accommodate elite upgrade requests and any possible last-minute walk-up purchases.

It's possible that no one had requested an upgrade when you checked in and then some elites changed their minds, which made the upgrade no longer available, or maybe someone else just bought the upgrade when offered.

That makes sense, conaidering even elites aren't able to upgrade from T inventory on markets eligible for electronic upgrades.
Does it? According to the wiki, elite members are allowed to upgrade award tickets using the self-service machine, which isn't available outside of the U.S.

Q: As an AAdvantage elite member traveling on an award
ticket, can I use the Confirmed Upgrade option?
A: If the Confirmed Upgrade option is available on a flight for
which you are using an AAdvantage award ticket, then it will be
offered when you check in using the Self-Service machine.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Does it? According to the wiki, elite members are allowed to upgrade award tickets using the self-service machine, which isn't available outside of the U.S.

Q: As an AAdvantage elite member traveling on an award
ticket, can I use the Confirmed Upgrade option?
A: If the Confirmed Upgrade option is available on a flight for
which you are using an AAdvantage award ticket, then it will be
offered when you check in using the Self-Service machine.
Far as I ever knew, that was the case from even before LFBU's were announced:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-obsolete.html

Has it changed?
Old May 25, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
My mother-in-law (non-Elite) was offered an LFBU on a SDQ-MIA flight for $130 checking in using the app on her iPhone. Flight was under 1,000 miles and I accepted because that seat was for me (I upgraded me and my wife using stickers and was going to have the two of them sit up front with me in the back (hey, gotta keep them happy)). Weird that her upgrade cost so much. There were lots of seats open when we checked in at T-24, but cabin was full at departure. Glad I didn't wait and try for an op-up at the gate for me (which was successful on the outbound MIA-PUJ, FWIW). Anyway, just wanted to provide another data point.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
My mother-in-law (non-Elite) was offered an LFBU on a SDQ-MIA flight for $130 checking in using the app on her iPhone. Flight was under 1,000 miles [...]
It appears AA has made the LFBU rate much more flexible at $40 to $90 per 500 miles segment.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aaco...s.jsp#inflight

Rasheed
Old May 25, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: LH HON
I've successfully double upgraded NRT-LAX last week. Was booked in S, SWU into C and counter upgraded to First. Miles were posted with First/Premium multiplier.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
When traveling to Brazil (and I assume other destinations), online check-in is not available for travel from the U.S.--I presume because one's visa needs to be checked prior to departure.

Do agents have access to the LFBU? Or would it appear at a kiosk after check-in if it is available?

Curious if any options exist. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.