Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by b74l
Had economy LAX-LHR..offered $400 upgrade to biz B77W when checking in mobile app.

Thank u AA!!
Thats a great price. It was about ~$670 offer each way from Y+ to J on LAX/PEK. I declined since my mission was to try Y+ and that could have paid for most of the next trip.

Originally Posted by rrgg
Was it a kiosk checkin? Thanks.
For me kiosk on the way to PEK (since cant check in online due to visa check) and on app for the return.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by rrgg
Was it a kiosk checkin? Thanks.
No, it was online check-in.

(Original post updated)
Old May 10, 2018, 9:43 am

Was offered Y-F on the first ORD-CLT flight tomorrow morning for $72, took it, later learned no breakfast on this flight. Oh well!

At check-in, I was offered an upgrade ORD-CLT, but not CLT-NAS. Was this because it wasn't T-24 till CLT-NAS? Is there another way to purchase a potential CLT-NAS LFBU other than waiting until we get to the kiosk tomorrow morning?
Old May 10, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Was offered Y-F on the first ORD-CLT flight tomorrow morning for $72, took it, later learned no breakfast on this flight. Oh well!

At check-in, I was offered an upgrade ORD-CLT, but not CLT-NAS. Was this because it wasn't T-24 till CLT-NAS? Is there another way to purchase a potential CLT-NAS LFBU other than waiting until we get to the kiosk tomorrow morning?
You can periodically keep checking on the online check-in or at the kiosk but it is also possible that a paid upgrade is just is not available.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead

CLT-NAS is J0 for every flight tomorrow AM. So they wont be any upgrades let alone offer an LBFU.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:45 pm

Ah, thanks to you both.

I was surprised to see the LFBU for the ORD-CLT segment, I haven't seen one on any route since 2016.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:21 am

On the return, was offered an upgrade on the NAS-MIA leg for $55. Declined. Even with the time we had to spend sitting on the apron just short of the gate because of thunderstorms, it wouldn't have been worth it.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Remember, the upgrade offer is generally only offered at the kiosk. (I don't think I've seen any reports of counter upgrades on ex-US flights.)
Would this mean that it is better (in terms of being offered an upgrade) to wait until arriving at the airport to check in vs. checking in 24h in advance online? I always thought that checking in earlier was better.

Or can I check in online and then re-check in at the airport?

Last edited by Marsh11; May 19, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Marsh11
Would this mean that it is better (in terms of being offered an upgrade) to wait until arriving at the airport to check in vs. checking in 24h in advance online? I always thought that checking in earlier was better.

As it states in the Wikipost at the top of the page,

LFBU / DODU (Load Factor Based Upgrades and Day Of Departure Upgrades) may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).”

I don’t know about rechecking, but one can certainly inquire at the check-in counter.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Marsh11

Check in online at T-24 so you can grab any upgrades for sale then, recheck at the kiosk when you arrive at the airport. I don't think ticket agents or gate agents can sell them to you.

Post-script to our trip last weekend: We had purchased preferred seats on the ORD-CLT and CLT-NAS segments, and I applied for a refund for the ORD-CLT segments. AA gave us refunds on the ORD-CLT and CLT-NAS preferred seats. I don't intend to tell them about their mistake.
Marsh11 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
My GRU-DFW flight in an hour has six seats open in first. They advise no paid upgrades if you’re on a mileage ticket. I think I saw this in the rather old wiki, but is this still the case? Seems a bit dumb—leaving revenue on the table.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
My GRU-DFW flight in an hour has six seats open in first. They advise no paid upgrades if you’re on a mileage ticket. I think I saw this in the rather old wiki, but is this still the case? Seems a bit dumb—leaving revenue on the table.
Don't have an answer for you, but curious why EF shows F6/A5 when the seat map shows 3 open seats.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:33 pm
BCH

Does AA sell upgrades to domestic First?

Work bought me a domestic coach ticket that I'd use personal funds to upgrade to First. I usually fly United, and those reservations often have an upgrade-with-cash option to domestic First.

Where do I find it on AA?

Thanks!

BCH
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by BCH
Work bought me a domestic coach ticket that I'd use personal funds to upgrade to First. I usually fly United, and those reservations often have an upgrade-with-cash option to domestic First.

Where do I find it on AA?

Thanks!

BCH
Call in and ask for a $ amount to "up-fare". There is a separate thread on here about it.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:21 pm

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.