Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by chuck1
I'm EXP and I have family on these records not on my booking.
Non-refundable ticket around $475 DCA-NAS. System is offering $90 upgrade to business.
Refundable ticket around $525 DCA-NAS. System is not offering $90 upgrade to business.
I called EXP to ask why it would offer it one pax and not the other.
They couldn't provide an explanation and sent me to web support.
Web Support said it is totally random and there is nothing to do about generating it for the other record.
We did not buy if for the eligible record so if just one seat we did not deplete it.
I can't help but think it's not random and there is some parameter preventing the system from offering it to the other record.
Yes, "random" often means "I don't know."
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
It’s pretty well known that it’s best to avoid ordering a a special meal if you’re hoping for an OPUP…chances go from extremely slim to none. But does anyone have any views on whether preordering meal (not a special gluten-free or vegan meal) would hurt one’s chances of getting offered a cash DOD upgrade?
Old Mar 12, 2022, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
It’s pretty well known that it’s best to avoid ordering a a special meal if you’re hoping for an OPUP…chances go from extremely slim to none. But does anyone have any views on whether preordering meal (not a special gluten-free or vegan meal) would hurt one’s chances of getting offered a cash DOD upgrade?
I used to always order special meal on TATL and did have upgrade offer etc
Sometimes they told me that they won’t have the special meal in J and sometimes they don’t. ( but still didn’t have it)
RichieMc likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
It’s pretty well known that it’s best to avoid ordering a a special meal if you’re hoping for an OPUP…chances go from extremely slim to none.
There’s no evidence that AA takes meal orders into account for upgrades (operational or otherwise) in the same way BA does.
RichieMc likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Has anyone got any recent data points for purchasing a counter upgrade for JFK - LAX and vice versa? Currently booked in economy (fare class B). So would be an economy -> biz upgrade.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
So I am now seeing online and in app upgrade offers even for my elite bookings that have complimentary upgrades requested, this is a relatively new change correct? Prices aren't cheap enough for me to jump but its interesting to see them for once.

Data point: Out of my 4 bookings, two that are main cabin fares show offers while two that are basic economy do not.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM
AA Transcon Paid Upgrade on Award Tickets

I'm booked on JFK-LAX in business class on an award ticket hoping to upgrade to first. Does AA typically offer any paid upgrade offers to those on award tickets? I've seen posts of paid upgrade offers for transcon flights but most reports seemed to be of passengers on a revenue ticket. I'm seeing many seats available still in first about 10 days out from departure. Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I don't think so. Your options are to see what the first award pricing does and switch to that or hope for an Op Up. Given how poorly AA F sells, op ups are relatively common from J to F
nj1015 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Probably should have merged you into this thread:

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help
nj1015 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.