Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Strange AA flight: Late evening RDU-JFK with almost no elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Flying on a delayed CLT/RDU flight the other night and after the AC closed went down to the gate. There was a RDU/JFK E175 flight that was scheduled for 9:43PM (original time not delayed) which I found strange. RDU has fairly minimal connections and the flight arrives into JFK too late for most connections. Even more strange no one boarded until Group 6 was called and just about all the passengers (not many) were in Group 9. I'm assuming for weight and balance a few lucky Y paxs found themselves with an onboard upgrade. Very odd flight and maybe other than for repositioning the a/c doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by EXP100
Flying on a delayed CLT/RDU flight the other night and after the AC closed went down to the gate. There was a RDU/JFK E175 flight that was scheduled for 9:43PM (original time not delayed) which I found strange. RDU has fairly minimal connections and the flight arrives into JFK too late for most connections. Even more strange no one boarded until Group 6 was called and just about all the passengers (not many) were in Group 9. I'm assuming for weight and balance a few lucky Y paxs found themselves with an onboard upgrade. Very odd flight and maybe other than for repositioning the a/c doesn't make a lot of sense.
I have noticed that one too this summer. Aircraft positioning and feed to the ~1am departures to HND, HKG, DOH. It runs through the end of the summer schedule (Oct 27) then the last JFK flight drops back to an 8:42p departure.
prathetkrungthep likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat
The E-175 flights on the RDU-DCA or RDU-JFK routes have always been my favorites. Upgrades are pretty good for Plats and Golds even on the daytime departures; a bit harder for the 8am departures. I think AA just doesn't have the RDU market captive for WAS and NYC making these flights less elite heavy. RDU-LGA is harder for upgrades, but I think that's some combination of being more elite-heavy, more F sold, and much worse upgrade ratio on A319. Meanwhile I'm convinced only Ex-Plats get upgraded on the RDU-CLT connection shuttle.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
FlyerTalk's rules require descriptive thread titles. To that end, I've updated this thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
As an EP I have been fortunate to be upgraded almost 100% on the RDU-JFK flights traveling on the afternoon and evening flights. There have been several occasions when I had a ticket on hold days prior to departure and I was upgraded before I even bought the ticket. F cabin in the afternoon flights tends to fill up either by paid or upgrades it seems. I connected last week to the 1 am JAL flight to Haneda but took the afternoon flight just to give some buffer but this late RDU-JFK flight would have worked for me too.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I was due to take this this coming weekend but switched to something earlier.

What are the food and drink choices or offerings in domestic First class on JFK-CLT-JFK and CLT-RDU-CLT? Can’t see any details on the AA app.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
CLT-RDU-CLT - in F usually offer usual drink offerings and maybe a snack basket? It is such a short flight that not much time to serve. They are usually good about offering a drink during boarding.

Correction: no snack basket...was thinking about the RDU-JFK legs where longer flight and more time.
salut0 likes this.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Oct 24, 2023 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I used to live in RDU and learned that a lot of JFK-based crews live in RDU and commute to/from base on those regional flights. Morning RDU-JFK flights would tend to have a bunch of FAs flying up to work JFK-Europe redeyes. My guess is the late afternoon RDU-JFK flights could have commuting FAs working JFK-EZE, JFK-GRU, JFK-DOH, JFK-DEL, and perhaps the late-night JFK-LHR if it currently operates.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I used to live in RDU and learned that a lot of JFK-based crews live in RDU and commute to/from base on those regional flights. Morning RDU-JFK flights would tend to have a bunch of FAs flying up to work JFK-Europe redeyes. My guess is the late afternoon RDU-JFK flights could have commuting FAs working JFK-EZE, JFK-GRU, JFK-DOH, JFK-DEL, and perhaps the late-night JFK-LHR if it currently operates.
Yep, your guess is accurate.

I actually know three AA team members based in New York who, after seeing how great their RDU teammates had it, ended up moving. (Two of them subsequently ended up marrying!) So now they’re based in Raleigh while simultaneously being based in New York.
salut0 and ESpen36 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by wutlol
Yep, your guess is accurate.

I actually know three AA team members based in New York who, after seeing how great their RDU teammates had it, ended up moving. (Two of them subsequently ended up marrying!) So now they’re based in Raleigh while simultaneously being based in New York.
While I trust that this is true, I doubt AA uses that as a factor in the route planning.
JJeffrey, Antarius and cedric like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The absolute best AA FA I've experienced in the past few years said she used to be at the RDU-I domicile.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by AAway
While I trust that this is true, I doubt AA uses that as a factor in the route planning.
I don’t think I suggested they did? They’re all senior so I presume they’re just bidding on the route when it makes sense to. I was just commenting that there seems to be a contingent of NYC AA staff that like living in a RDU.
AAway likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
There is so much slot squatting at JFK, I guess might as well have it benefit employees instead of more useless Eagle flying to BOS/BWI/PHL which I think has come and gone over the years
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I’m flying DFW-JFK this afternoon. Earlier today there was the option to volunteer and rebook with a connection and this flight was an option.

The whole seatmap, was basically empty with every F seat available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.