Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:04 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Moderator guidepost / note:

The FAQ associated with LFBUs:

The Confirmed Upgrade option is a way for customers to enjoy the comfort of our premium cabins at an affordable price. This option is offered to passengers who aren't able to use 500-mile upgrades, either because they aren't AAdvantage members, or because they are traveling on fares that are not eligible. For more information about this option, please view our Self-Service FAQ section.

And from those FAQ:

Code:
Q: What is the Confirmed Upgrade option?
A:  The Confirmed Upgrade option is a way for customers to enjoy 
the comfort of our premium cabins at an affordable price. This option 
is offered to passengers who aren't able to use 500-mile upgrades. 
In these situations, the Confirmed Upgrade option makes unused 
premium cabin seats available on the day of departure.

Q: How do Confirmed Upgrades work?
A:  If seats are available in the premium class cabin four hours 
before departure and flights in your itinerary are eligible for an 
upgrade, a customized message will be displayed during your 
check-in process at the Self-Service machine. You can then 
choose whether to purchase an upgrade, and then pay with a 
credit card. A receipt for the upgrade will be printed, along 
with your boarding pass, at the end of the transaction. 
(Note - this purchase does not result in the deposit of 
500-mile upgrades into your account. The charge is paid 
and you are upgraded to the premium cabin on the flight(s)
 you selected.)

Q: On what flights is the Confirmed Upgrade option offered?
A:  Passengers traveling on flights within the 48 contiguous United
 States, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico can purchase an upgrade, 
even if they are traveling on AAdvantage award tickets. The upgrade 
is offered on a space-available basis on your day of travel.

Q: Can I pay for Confirmed Upgrades in advance at a lower price?
A:  The Confirmed Upgrade option is only available on the day of 
travel at a cost of $45 per 500 miles.

Q: If I don't use the Self-Service machine for check-in, can I still use
the Confirmed Upgrade option? What if I check-in at home using AA.com?
A: The Confirmed Upgrade option is only offered via the Self-Service
machine. If you first check in on AA.com, you can still use the Self-
Service machine at the airport. If the Confirmed Upgrade option is 
offered for your flight, you can choose to upgrade, following the 
usual procedures.

Q: Will the Confirmed Upgrade option reduce the number of premium 
class seats available to full-fare and AAdvantage elite customers?
A: No. Upgrades via Self Service will be offered only after we've 
determined that sufficient premium seats are available to accommodate 
customers who want to buy full-fare tickets and to AAdvantage elite 
members who wish to upgrade.

Q: As an AAdvantage elite member traveling on an award 
ticket, can I use the Confirmed Upgrade option?
A: If the Confirmed Upgrade option is available on a flight for 
which you are using an AAdvantage award ticket, then it will be 
offered when you check in using the Self-Service machine.
See this aa.com page for SSCM information and locations: Self Service Check-in.

For current pricing information, please see more recent posts in this thread and the LFBU section of the wiki Upgrades page.

For the obsolete thread, now archived, please see LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter and kiosk upgrades (obsolete)

Moderator note: The new(er) and up to date LFBU thread was stared with a moderator's post from another thread coverted to the first post / guide post here.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 28, 2013 at 6:55 am Reason: edit for WikiPost addition
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT ; UA PLT
Paid upgrade (equivalent to UA)?

I switched from UA to AA this year. One thing I miss from UA was their ability/proclivity to offer confirmed upgrades to BusinessFirst on United PS for a modest fee (~$280 or so) a day or two out from departure, generally via e-mail or on web/mobile app. Is there any way to secure similar from AA?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ginsengbomb
I switched from UA to AA this year. One thing I miss from UA was their ability/proclivity to offer confirmed upgrades to BusinessFirst on United PS for a modest fee (~$280 or so) a day or two out from departure, generally via e-mail or on web/mobile app. Is there any way to secure similar from AA?
Since the flights that would compete with United PS are operated by American Airlines, I'll merge this question into the extant thread discussing Load-Factor Based Upgrades on legacy American Airlines flights, in the pre-merger American forum.

~Moderator
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Some posts discussing upgrades which weren't LFBUs have been moved to this thread:

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

~Moderator
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:44 pm

Paid Upgrade chances at OLCI

Hi,

Newbie to this forum, hoping you might be able to help me?

Im flying MCO-NYC return later in the year and trying to decide which fare to buy, currently business/first is a bit expensive for me, so i was wondering if i buy an economy fare is it likely i will be offered a reasonable cash upgrade at OLCI (Subject to load)

I have no AA Status or Miles, I am BA Silver if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer me, i have searched the forum and haven't been able to find an answer to my question.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm assuming that premium demand might be low on the route because it's to a primarily leisure destination, but I can also see elites traveling to/from Orlando on vacation using the chance to upgrade.

How much is reasonable for you? I would expect an upgrade on that flight to cost between $100 and $150.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:24 am

Thanks for your reply, I'd consider that sort of price reasonable.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no way of predicting likelihood. Especially this far out. Further, with the US/AA combination inching forward, schedule changes, aircraft changes and the like, alter F availability more and more every day.

I would not remotely plan a schedule around the chances of an UG.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
You may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you count on a paid upgrade. By most accounts, AA is lagging UA and DL in selling UGs to the general public at OLCI prior to clearing elite UG requests. Of course, fall is a while off and that policy may change, but personally, I would not count on it.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:26 am

I've tried searching for this, but couldn't find an answer. If there are multiple passengers on a single PNR, and one decides to do an LFBU if it becomes available, do they need to split the PNR? I'm asking because of the standby inheritance policy for elites.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:31 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Adding another data point that was reported to me recently: JFK-MAN red-eye flight, upgrade offered at kiosk for $410.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Adding another data point that was reported to me recently: JFK-MAN red-eye flight, upgrade offered at kiosk for $410.
Seems that about 500 is the consistent price for tatl flights

Btw is there a non red eye flight on this route ?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Ok, for a data point

DFW-MEX $110USD, I accepted, wanted to try the product and get to the front of the customs line.

Now what I'm looking for folks, I'm not depending on an upgrade, but I am curious if anyone could ballpark the cost. $110 for the MEX flight I thought was very reasonable, Air Canada's are crazy so I never take them. I have no AA status, I was on the lowest fare bucket as well.

Bought a trip upcoming with a lengthy red eye SEA-MIA in early Sep. Any thoughts on what that might cost if available? Tuesday night FWIW, and Sep is relatively low season, so I'm thinking traffic up front would likely be kinda slim. I'll probably accept anything <$200, but I'm more just curious if you guys had any kind of ballpark idea .
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Now what I'm looking for folks, I'm not depending on an upgrade, but I am curious if anyone could ballpark the cost. $110 for the MEX flight I thought was very reasonable, Air Canada's are crazy so I never take them. I have no AA status, I was on the lowest fare bucket as well.

Bought a trip upcoming with a lengthy red eye SEA-MIA in early Sep. Any thoughts on what that might cost if available? Tuesday night FWIW, and Sep is relatively low season, so I'm thinking traffic up front would likely be kinda slim. I'll probably accept anything <$200, but I'm more just curious if you guys had any kind of ballpark idea .
No less than $210 which is the cost for the stickers for elites to upgrade ($35x6 as they get you 500 miles each). I would guess though between $300 and $400.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Azulcactus
No less than $210 which is the cost for the stickers for elites to upgrade ($35x6 as they get you 500 miles each). I would guess though between $300 and $400.
Fair enough, thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.