Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by CGRA
should be rich in miles to prefer miles PLUS copay than 775 without miles
Yea, $775 seems like a steal.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Got offered $51 first class upgrade via OCLI for STL-ORD. Passed on it.

Flight is still only half full, almost all the MCE seats are empty. Plus only a 1hr flight time.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA 1700 CLT-PUJ on 4/14 upgrade to F for $ 165, offered at check-in kiosk. Non-AAdvantage member.
Load showed one open F-seat for sale the evening prior. Earlier upfare charge was over $ 1200!
Upgrade was grabbed swiftly. First segment of itinerary BNA-CLT did not offer upgrade.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by CGRA
should be rich in miles to prefer miles PLUS copay than 775 without miles
25,000 miles or $425? Seems pretty close to me.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Do elites receive paid upgrade offers?

im wondering if Elites can or do receive paid upgrade offers at check in? I've never received one as an EXP (for international), but know of friends who have.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chitink
im wondering if Elites can or do receive paid upgrade offers at check in? I've never received one as an EXP (for international), but know of friends who have.
Yes, elites can receive offers at the kiosk for load-factor based upgrades (LFBUs) on international flights. They're only supposed to be offered if all systemwide and miles+copay upgrades will clear.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I received one offer for a paid domestic upgrade, and that was seven years ago as a non-status passenger. The 16-seat First cabin had four other passengers.

As an elite, the only time I've ever "paid" for an upgrade is with stickers when I was Gold and later Platinum. Still, I've never seen any options for payment outside of "stickers." Maybe this has something to do with the fact that, unless you're EXP, upgrades to F/J are paid for on AA.

Originally Posted by rjw242
Yes, elites can receive offers at the kiosk for load-factor based upgrades (LFBUs) on international flights. They're only supposed to be offered if all systemwide and miles+copay upgrades will clear.
I haven't seen LFBUs in a long time! Can't LFBUs be offered at the counter, as well? I think the last LFBU offer I had was on an ORD-MSY flight about seven years ago when it was all mainline. With two checked bags, it was essentially $40 more for a bigger seat and breakfast. ^

Last edited by brewdog11; Apr 16, 2017 at 9:56 pm Reason: removed typo in last sentince
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I haven't seen LFBUs in a long time! Can't LFBUs be offered at the counter, as well?
Oh, I'm sure they can, but the only ones I've seen (a couple offers, a couple years back) were at the kiosk. Would be a bit surprised if AAgents proactively tried to sell LFBUs, but they could certainly respond if a customer asked about upgrading.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
I've received offers a few times on Sfo-Jfk flights (j-f) for $225-$250..

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Apr 16, 2017 at 11:05 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Even though I print my bp at home, I also print my bp from a kiosk: on p/home bps the "tsa pre-check is in small size type, on p/kiosk it is in BIG letters", just in case the agent monitoring pre-check line can't read small type. Only once in 5 years have I been offered a kiosk upg from Y to BC: jfk-zrh for $3,000
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:44 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have seen them as an EXP. Most recent was on BCN-JFK it was like 438 euros to move up from Y to J. I have never seen them domestically, but thankfully I have usually cleared into F by the time I get to the airport.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Last year, I noted in a different thread my experience with LFBU as a PLT.

Long story short:
I booked tickets for my immediate family DTW-ORD-JFK-FCO
Another relative met up with us for the same JFK-FCO flight, but her origin was IND.

As we were checking in for our return flights (Again, same longhaul segment, but we diverged once we got to the USA), only the non-status relative on the separate reservation was offered an LBFU. Nobody on my reservation was offered one, myself included.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
For me it's been hit-or-miss. Sometimes I get offered an LFBU on my flights between MDE and MIA and sometimes not. I expected to get one when I did OLCI today, as the flight is J2 D1 I1 and there are few elites on this route, but no offer. No matter, as I would turn it down anyway - $162 for 3 hours in an A319 business seat vs. the exit row isn't a good deal.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by josmul123
Last year, I noted in a different thread my experience with LFBU as a PLT.

Long story short:
I booked tickets for my immediate family DTW-ORD-JFK-FCO
Another relative met up with us for the same JFK-FCO flight, but her origin was IND.

As we were checking in for our return flights (Again, same longhaul segment, but we diverged once we got to the USA), only the non-status relative on the separate reservation was offered an LBFU. Nobody on my reservation was offered one, myself included.
It may be that she was the only person associated with her reservation/PNR and that you had multiple passengers on yours. I was the only person on my reservation the only time I've ever received an offer.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
Yes. I received a J to F buy up at online check in for DFW - LHR on 12/27 last year for $299. I took it. Was on paid J heavily discounted fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.