Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Far as I ever knew, that was the case from even before LFBU's were announced:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-obsolete.html

Has it changed?
I'm still not entirely sure what criteria AA uses to determine whether a day-of-departure upgrade will be offered on a particular reservation, but in my earlier post I was referring to elites being unable to upgrade with 500-mile electronic upgrades/"stickers" on award tickets.

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
When traveling to Brazil (and I assume other destinations), online check-in is not available for travel from the U.S.--I presume because one's visa needs to be checked prior to departure.

Do agents have access to the LFBU? Or would it appear at a kiosk after check-in if it is available?

Curious if any options exist. Thanks.
Yes to both. Both LAA and LUS agents can sell day-of-departure upgrades (it's actually a simpler process for the latter), and the kiosk will also automatically offer the upgrade every time for as long as it remains available.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I'm still not entirely sure what criteria AA uses to determine whether a day-of-departure upgrade will be offered on a particular reservation, but in my earlier post I was referring to elites being unable to upgrade with 500-mile electronic upgrades/"stickers" on award tickets.
Ahhhhhh, ok-- I think I definitely confused/misread that exchange then!
Old May 27, 2016, 9:08 pm

Paid day of upgrades

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a 1-way upgrade from coach to biz the day of departure for a price less than the "value"? I know it's possible on United (I bought an upgrade from JFK to Mumbai for $300 a couple years back, waaaay less than the $7k price of the ticket), but don't know if AA allows this. Thanks!
Old May 27, 2016, 10:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jimmyboo
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a 1-way upgrade from coach to biz the day of departure for a price less than the "value"? I know it's possible on United (I bought an upgrade from JFK to Mumbai for $300 a couple years back, waaaay less than the $7k price of the ticket), but don't know if AA allows this. Thanks!
Yes, it is possible. These are called Load Factor Based Upgrades ("LFBU") and you might get an offer by e-mail, when you check in online, at the kiosk or at the counter at the airport. Based on availability, of course.

(Last time I was offered one, earlier this month, it was FCO-ORD as I was checking in online. I clicked acceptance and - I got a "This feature is not available at this time. Please try later." message. :Grr!: )

We will merge your query into the existing thread. /Moderator
Old May 28, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I've tried to go back and read as much of this thread as I could. From my understanding, as a Gold, I will NOT be offered paid upgrades for domestic travel because the 500 mile stickers are cheaper. In that case, would I be stuck on the waitlist while they sold an upgrade (via online, kiosk, or agent upon check in) to someone with no status? Or is this sold only if there are no more elites to upgrade that already requested to upgrade before checkin?
Old May 28, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, it is possible. These are called Load Factor Based Upgrades ("LFBU") and you might get an offer by e-mail, when you check in online, at the kiosk or at the counter at the airport. Based on availability, of course.
It's nitpicking on my part, but AA has started calling them day-of-departure upgrades (DODU) as of a few months ago.

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
In that case, would I be stuck on the waitlist while they sold an upgrade (via online, kiosk, or agent upon check in) to someone with no status? Or is this sold only if there are no more elites to upgrade that already requested to upgrade before checkin?
The latter is correct. AA is not United and only offers day-of-departure upgrades if there are enough premium cabin seats to accommodate all upgrade requests, plus a certain amount of seats set aside for last-minute walkups. Consequently, it's easier to score a DODU on markets where stickers can't be used.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Does anyone have any recent experience with LFBUs if you are originating with a BA flight but connecting to an AA flight? I'm assuming since I can't check in with AA.com, I won't be offered one, even if there is plenty of space right?

i.e. it would only appear during the OLCI path, but it should not appear if I just view my reservation on AA.com?

And if that's true, is it something that could be taken advantage of once I got to LHR?

Last edited by RChavez; Jun 8, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:50 pm

Does AA offer paid upgrades at check-in?

Dumb question (tried the search but couldn't really find anything that quite fit):

Does AA offer paid upgrades during check-in (online, mobile app, otherwise) similar to what Delta may do?

ie: I buy coach/economy on Delta. 24-hours prior to departure when check-in is ready, Delta will (if there's room in FC/Business) advertise offers (ie: Upgrade to First for $200 or something).
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes. Do a search for "LFBU."
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Sometimes. Do a search for "LFBU."
Ooh, found it. Thanks so much!!!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:11 pm

If you check in at the airport kiosk and have a paid ticket - and there are first class seats available - there is an option at seat selection to upgrade for a fee. The fee varies with the length of the flight.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
mhmm I have an offer in front of me to upgrade PHL-ZRH for 500 from Y to J. Should be on the new 767 with lie-flats. Seriously considering it... any input?

Last edited by Smiley90; Jul 8, 2016 at 11:13 pm
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Smiley90
mhmm I have an offer in front of me to upgrade PHL-ZRH for 500 from Y to J. Should be on the new 767 with lie-flats. Seriously considering it... any input?
I'd bite. You'll get a better meal, more booze and better sleep.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
You will get lounge access at both airports, this is a positive if you are not *G already. $500 is a good deal, that comes out to be about $50/hr for a nicer seat and better service, if it worth that to you?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
You will get lounge access at both airports, this is a positive if you are not *G already. $500 is a good deal, that comes out to be about $50/hr for a nicer seat and better service, if it worth that to you?
FYI this is the AA Forum so being Star Gold won't be relevant to the OP @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.