Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Your employer will pay for a full fare Y ticket but not discount F?

The simplest option would be to buy full fare Y to get the receipt, then having the ticket reissued to discount F and being refunded the fare difference (which there will almost certainly be). This might land you in hot water wth the employer if you file a claim for the full cost of the Y ticket and then get some of the money reimbursed back from the airline, though.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Your employer will pay for a full fare Y ticket but not discount F?
Yes! Actually it is not my employer but the company who pays for the ticket but anyway this is what there travel policy is like. I could certainly proceed as you suggested but by doing so I feel I would bend the rules too much and would not feel comfortable doing. I may just fly Y then.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Flying on an itinerary which always requires an agent check-in due to visa (US-Brazil). I almost always co-pay upgrade ($350+25k) on my route but don't want to this time as I'm traveling with a companion who has no miles (and I don't really want to fork over 25k from my account to help upgrade them).

I want to see if we both are offered an all cash LFBU. As LFBUs are (almost?) always kiosk, can I check in with an agent and then re-check in at a kiosk, or try checking in at a kiosk only (likely to be told to see an agent for visa verification)?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
LFBU is only via kiosk or OLCI.

<removed circular link post merge>
I have some anecdotal experience that may contradict this?

A friend of mine was offered while checking-in yesterday an upgrade on MIA-LIM for $300. He thought it was not worth it and passed.

Today, he got the craving for the upgrade, and asked at the MIA AC what were his options for upgrading. He was offered the same, $300 for the upgrade, which he took.

Now, I wonder if the fare difference on that flight was exactly $300, which would be too much coincidence? (his ticket was discount economy/not full fare)
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I have some anecdotal experience that may contradict this?

A friend of mine was offered while checking-in yesterday an upgrade on MIA-LIM for $300. He thought it was not worth it and passed.

Today, he got the craving for the upgrade, and asked at the MIA AC what were his options for upgrading. He was offered the same, $300 for the upgrade, which he took.

Now, I wonder if the fare difference on that flight was exactly $300, which would be too much coincidence? (his ticket was discount economy/not full fare)
That's not a LFBU, it's a counter/airport upgrade-- different thing
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Azulcactus
I want to see if we both are offered an all cash LFBU. As LFBUs are (almost?) always kiosk, can I check in with an agent and then re-check in at a kiosk, or try checking in at a kiosk only (likely to be told to see an agent for visa verification)?
You can check in with an agent and ask the agent to check for you.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's not a LFBU, it's a counter/airport upgrade-- different thing
Airport agents (in the U.S. at least) do have the ability to sell day-of-departure upgrades, but they can only be paid for with credit card. It's different than the upgrades offered at some international stations.

$300 sounds about right for a DOD upgrade on MIA-LIM; my mother was offered one online and at the kiosk for $320 on the same route a few months ago.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:27 am

Will you guys pay USD 500 (without miles just cash) for J to F upgrade (i.e no more miles) on the 77W ?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CGRA
Will you guys pay USD 500 (without miles just cash) for J to F upgrade (i.e no more miles) on the 77W ?
I'd save the $500 and fly J on the 77W.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
What route is this on? Length of flight makes a big difference. On a 5 hour flight MIA-LAX no, but on a 10 hour flight DFW-LHR or DFW-HKG yes... When you are upgrading the food isn't what you are upgrading for it's the suits.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What route is this on? Length of flight makes a big difference. On a 5 hour flight MIA-LAX no, but on a 10 hour flight DFW-LHR or DFW-HKG yes... When you are upgrading the food isn't what you are upgrading for it's the suits.
Good point
Will be Lhr lax
Food is much better and larger... There is a soup hahaha
There is the 77w on mia lax ?

"Suit" for a aa f seat is a very generous word

So far its A0 so don't know if that will open up.
And if opened up if they'll sell lfbu.
Can we see the A waiting list somewhere ?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Good point
Will be Lhr lax

The AA iPhone app shows upgrade and standby lists 24 hours out but doesn't distinguish between upgrade classes.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Good point
Will be Lhr lax

HAving flown the 77W LHR-DFW in F, it is a suit compared to J, much more room, but there really is not much storage space. The food was good not great, and the mushroom soup we got was good. So on your flight if you take flight time and the amount to upgrade, it comes out to $50/hr so in my world, it is worth it to upgrade if you can. Plus you get access into the arrivals lounge too.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
LFBU: Non-elite, space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrades (consolidated)

first not a complaint. AA is entitled to do whatever they want with their space. But for the last 5 of 6 flights been #1 on list no upgrades. how does an EXP get an online check in offer ? I've never received one but clearly the rules have changed and want to know how to play by them. I haven't seen an actual upgrade process in quite some time.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
first not a complaint. AA is entitled to do whatever they want with their space. But for the last 5 of 6 flights been #1 on list no upgrades. how does an EXP get an online check in offer ? I've never received one but clearly the rules have changed and want to know how to play by them. I haven't seen an actual upgrade process in quite some time.
For routes on which sticker upgrades can be used, day-of-departure upgrades are not offered to elites because the stickers are cheaper (free/none required for EXP and $30/$35 $40 per 500 mi for PLT/GLD vs approximately $45 per 500 mi for DOD upgrades).

For all flights, upgrades will not be offered for sale unless there are enough seats remaining in the premium cabin to accommodate all passengers on the upgrade standby list plus a certain amount of seats set aside for last-minute walkup sales.

Fortunately AA doesn't sell upgrades out from under its elites like United does.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
HAving flown the 77W LHR-DFW in F, it is a suit compared to J, much more room, but there really is not much storage space. The food was good not great, and the mushroom soup we got was good. So on your flight if you take flight time and the amount to upgrade, it comes out to $50/hr so in my world, it is worth it to upgrade if you can. Plus you get access into the arrivals lounge too.
J or EXP status (in any cabin) would grant access to the LHR arrivals lounge. And it's worth noting that at this moment it's closed for refurbishment. The only additional/incremental lounge acces this would grant would be for the Flagship Lounge, which of course is not currently operating at DFW (although you could access the interim flagship dining facility).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.