Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:59 am

how much does AA now charge for upgrade during OLCI on CLT-ORD flights?

when it was still operated as US Airways, I frequently buy the upgrade during OLCI for $62 to $95.(each way) Has the upgrade prices increased since US became AA in the last month or two? or do they not sell upgrades during OLCI or at the gate anymore?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by weltfrieden

when it was still operated as US Airways, I frequently buy the upgrade during OLCI for $62 to $95.(each way) Has the upgrade prices increased since US became AA in the last month or two? or do they not sell upgrades during OLCI or at the gate anymore?

Thanks!
AA's policy has been to not sell upgrades to the masses until all elites have been cleared. So unless you are flying a very late flight that doesnt connect to much, or on a Saturday afternoon, you are very unlikely to find a Hub to Hub flight like CLT-ORD without enough elites requesting upgrades to fill it up.

It will happen, but sure as hell not as much as when it was US.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
AA's policy has been to not sell upgrades to the masses until all elites have been cleared. So unless you are flying a very late flight that doesnt connect to much, or on a Saturday afternoon, you are very unlikely to find a Hub to Hub flight like CLT-ORD without enough elites requesting upgrades to fill it up.

It will happen, but sure as hell not as much as when it was US.
thanks! that's what I figured. Back when the route was still on US metal with US flight#, I was frequently offered to buy the upgrade at T-48 or even earlier. (at which time the US elite upgrade windows had not passed)

Guess the new AA does things differently now.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:04 pm

just did OLCI but it didn't offer to sell me first class upgrade.

seat maps shows 13 first class seats not pre-assigned. there are still 6 first class seats available for purchse
(could be more, but AA.com only allows me to search for 6 seats at a time) so I guess AA prefers to take its
chances and see if someone will show up last minute and pay the $1300 first class fare?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:09 pm
Suspended

just did OLCI but it didn't offer to sell me first class upgrade.

seat maps shows 13 first class seats not pre-assigned. there are still 6 first class seats available for purchse
(could be more, but AA.com only allows me to search for 6 seats at a time) so I guess AA prefers to take its
chances and see if someone will show up last minute and pay the $1300 first class fare?
You assume that there are no elites on waitlist for elite upgrades on this flight?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You assume that there are no elites on waitlist for elite upgrades on this flight?
Less than 9 hours until departure with at least 12 open first class seats available for sale(according to reservation agent), shouldn't all the upgrades cleared by now? Or does the new AA always upgrade elites at the gate?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Less than 9 hours until departure with at least 12 open first class seats available for sale(according to reservation agent), shouldn't all the upgrades cleared by now? Or does the new AA always upgrade elites at the gate?
Nothing to do with "new AA" and, yes, that's your answer.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Nothing to do with "new AA" and, yes, that's your answer.
Just got off the plane a few moments ago. in an exit row aisle for free,
so I'm not complaining.

however, I'm confused. The new AA apparently doesn't want money.

When I got to the gate at CLT, I asked the gate agent if I could buy an
upgrade to first. She looked it up and told me "sorry, we don't sell
first class upgrades anymore, would you like to buy first class by paying
the difference between your fare and first class?"
I declined because
the difference was almost $500, hardly worth it when the short flight
didn't include a meal in first class. The flight left the gate with 12 empty
first class seats.

Like I said, I've taken this exact same flight leaving from CLT before
(back in July?) and I paid about $110 to upgrade.(although it was
pretty empty as well)
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Did online check in for AUS-DFW-MAD, departing tomorrow. Booked in J. AA36 DFW-MAD is on the old config 777-200. Was offered $500 upgrade to F for DFW-MAD.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
however, I'm confused. The new AA apparently doesn't want money.

When I got to the gate at CLT, I asked the gate agent if I could buy an
upgrade to first. She looked it up and told me "sorry, we don't sell
first class upgrades anymore, would you like to buy first class by paying
the difference between your fare and first class?"
I declined because
the difference was almost $500, hardly worth it when the short flight
didn't include a meal in first class. The flight left the gate with 12 empty
first class seats.
Another LUS agent hallucinating nonexistent policies. AA certainly does continue to sell day-of-departure upgrades. If you have ExpertFlyer, first class upgrades come out of A inventory and business out of C. With 12 empty seats in the premium cabin, it's extremely likely that there were upgrades being offered.

Fortunately, AA is installing self-service kiosks gateside (which would offer the upgrade) so you can bypass the gate agents.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Another LUS agent hallucinating nonexistent policies. AA certainly does continue to sell day-of-departure upgrades. If you have ExpertFlyer, first class upgrades come out of A inventory and business out of C. With 12 empty seats in the premium cabin, it's extremely likely that there were upgrades being offered.

Fortunately, AA is installing self-service kiosks gateside (which would offer the upgrade) so you can bypass the gate agents.
On the AA side, LFBU were only offered via kiosks and on the rare occasion during online check-in. TAs or GAs never offered them for sale, except at international stations -- and those obviously don't fall in the sticker category.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
When I did OLCI T-24 for my Dec. 29, 2015 LAX-LHR flight, the upgrade was offered for $460.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Did online check in for my 1/1/2016 BCN-MIA-AUS flight. Was offered $500 J to F upgrade on BCN-MIA.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
On the AA side, LFBU were only offered via kiosks and on the rare occasion during online check-in. TAs or GAs never offered them for sale, except at international stations -- and those obviously don't fall in the sticker category.
Not a sticker but still an LFBU : USD 500 J to F DFW / CDG - October - sold at the SAN lounge
Exact same price than the the copay of a miles upgrade .... without the miles hihihihi

This is not true for Y to J upgrade where LFBU are usually a little higher than the copay (but still without the miles hahahaha)
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CGRA
Not a sticker but still an LFBU : USD 500 J to F DFW / CDG - October - sold at the SAN lounge
Exact same price than the the copay of a miles upgrade .... without the miles hihihihi
That is not a LFBU which as Sukn correctly states are via kiosk and on-line check-in only, that is a counter upgrade (or "international Airport Upgrade"), different product and procedure than LFBU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.