Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arollins
Upgrades are not offered on awards. That is not a game. You could get a first class award.
It sounds like you're under the impression that LFBU's are programmatically never offered on award tickets (to elite members)?

Do you have any documentation on this change?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It sounds like you're under the impression that LFBU's are programmatically never offered on award tickets (to elite members)?

Do you have any documentation on this change?
I've never been offered one, at kiosk or check in. That is my own experience. Has something changed that I'm not aware off?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Does someone know for sure what the policy is. Just because one person has never been offered LFBU for an award tix may not mean it exists. It seems to me that $200 or so of additional revenue is better than a seat going out empty.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Even when I asked at the gate, seeing that seats are available and no one on the upgrade list I've been told that no upgrades for award travel, even if I offered to pay. This was on ORD-CLT, prior US merger. Just my .02cents.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I have definitely been offered domestic LFBUs in the past on coach awards. Unless something has changed, if a LFBU is going to be offered the system doesn't discriminate between paid and award tickets.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arollins
Even when I asked at the gate, seeing that seats are available and no one on the upgrade list I've been told that no upgrades for award travel, even if I offered to pay. This was on ORD-CLT, prior US merger. Just my .02cents.
You're incorrect and nothing has changed.

LFBU has been available to elites on award tickets. "Asking at the gate" is not a LFBU regardless, LFBU is only via kiosk or OLCI.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Does someone know for sure what the policy is.
Yes, I do, as usual.

From the very day they were introduced, 10 years ago:

<removed circular link post merge>

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 8, 2016 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
From the airlines can do what they want file: I have asked for and received at the gate/reservations desk check in sticker upgrades on coach award travel. Not often, but it can happen if you ask.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
My award trip was a 24 hr trip for family reasons. I got no offer at the kiosk and the plane left with 8 open seats in FC. I checked in for tomorrow at the airport and the plane has 11 open FC seats. No offer to buy the UG.

Your mileage may vary but for me I went O for 2 on a quick 24 hr award trip.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PepeBorja
My award trip was a 24 hr trip for family reasons. I got no offer at the kiosk and the plane left with 8 open seats in FC. I checked in for tomorrow at the airport and the plane has 11 open FC seats. No offer to buy the UG.

Your mileage may vary but for me I went O for 2 on a quick 24 hr award trip.
It's not supposed to, designed, intended or meant to happen most of the time and/or predictably
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yes, I do, as usual.
^
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
FWIW... I tried the kiosk this am and no offer. The gent next to me was headed for PHL also and the UG button was enabled so the system does work for non awards. The E 90 bus is leaving with 9 empty FC seats. It did not work for me on 2 flights with 8 and 9 empty FC seats this sat and sun Good news is I have row5 to myself.

AA was willing to up sell me 980 miles for $32 at checkin which is kind of weird for an award.

I'm sure they must have reasons but to not upsell a customer when you have a chance is tough on the bottom line.

thanks for all the replies.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Are LBFUS no longer offered? I'm in AA 1944 phl-msp, Plat Exec on Award. FC has only 4 seats in use. Probably 8 open. I asked at the club and gate to buy and was told they do not sell upgtades. Tried kiosks and said unable to upgrade. I have row 6 to myself and will be fine but I'm surprised the airline is not willing to get more of my money.
As there is a consolidated thread discussing LFBUs, I'm going to merge this in.

~Moderator
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:08 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
$232 for upgrade from J to F, offered by a kiosk 2hrs before flight, on SFO-JFK yesterday.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
JFKSFO

Business to first, 283 usd
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Hi guys!

I hope this is the right thread to ask this question but if not I would be most grateful if you direct me to the correct thread.

I have to fly SFO-PHL soon and will only get reimbursement for (any) economy ticket. What is the best (read) cheapest way to buy a regular economy and still fly First (I believe there is no business class on this route as this is served by the former US aircrafts if I am not mistaken). Should I buy a fully flex economy ticket and pay the fare difference or are there cheaper ways to get this done. I do not need flexibility and just need an invoice that states economy for reimbursement. If this is too complicated or expensive I will certainly also survive in Economy.

Your input on this is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
totti

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.