Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:45 pm

How propable are cash offers for upgrade domestic flights ?

i will fly MIA-LAX on AA´s 777-300ER.
If i book Economy, how probably are cash offers to Business ?
If there are, comes this offers after reservation or later at Checkinn ?

And, anybody have experiences about the price ?

An economy Ticket costs actual about 200 $, Business 600 $..
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I would say minimal chance on that route. Only time I've seen cash offers at booking is oddball off-peak routes (like ORD-TUL on a Saturday afternoon).
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jotxl
i will fly MIA-LAX on AA´s 777-300ER.
If i book Economy, how probably are cash offers to Business ?
If there are, comes this offers after reservation or later at Checkinn ?

And, anybody have experiences about the price ?

An economy Ticket costs actual about 200 $, Business 600 $..
Very minimal chance.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:59 am

What's the difference between LFBU and "counter upgrades" besides being offered in different channels? People said LFBU are only offered during Online CI and kiosks but my receipt of an upgrade paid during CI with an agent said "LFB Upgrade". I guess they are all based on load factor, right?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:31 am

Thanks for the Information...:-)
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:48 pm

LBU MQM question

Quick question - when you pay for an LBU for business class at check in - are you in C class, or are you in another fare class eligible for additional MQM etc.?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 21, 2016 at 8:37 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CJM1
Quick question - when you pay for an LBU for business class at check in - are you in C class, or are you in another fare class eligible for additional MQM etc.?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Just to check -- are you referring to flights on AA or Delta? Only Delta calls their status-earning miles "MQM"; on AA they're elite qualifying miles, or EQM. And an upgrade offered at check-in on AA is a "load factor based upgrade," LFBU.

Anyhow, on AA you do not earn extra miles for any type of upgrade (unless you actually pay the fare difference between economy and business/first).

For other basic questions about AA and AAdvantage, I'd suggest checking the resources in the "PLEASE READ" link at the top of the forum, or if you're having trouble finding an answer, asking the friendly Newbie Lounge here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lame-free.html
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CJM1
Welcome to FT!

Your best source here is the existing thread for LFBU,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.

As indicated in the Wikipost at the top of the page:

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.
I've retitled your thread, and if the question is about AA LFBU, we will merge into the "Newbie Lounge" thread at some point. /Moderator
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:16 am

Yep - I meant LFBU.

Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Does AA sell domestic UFC?

Flying XXX-DFW tomorrow within T-24. The flight is selling F7A5

Because I'm booked on a codeshare I couldn't upgrade with stickers. I thought AA offered upgrades for cash when there aren't elites waitlisted for seats (which presumably they aren't at F7A5)... But I didn't get an upsell offer during check-in in the mobile app.

I'm planning to ask about a sticker upgrade when I get to the airport tomorrow, but would pay to confirm the upgrade to F tonight if they sell it at a reasonable price...

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:45 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yes, AA does occasionally sell upgrades if upgrade waitlist demand will be met. However, upgrades on many routes are clearing very late these days. Although I generally agree with you that if it's still F7A5, the likelihood of "leftover" F seats is pretty high, there is a small chance that revenue management hasn't opted to clear the upgrade list yet.

Don't bother asking anyone at the airport. Paid upgrades, if available, would be offered through the kiosk.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JY1024
Don't bother asking anyone at the airport. Paid upgrades, if available, would be offered through the kiosk.
Airport agents have been able to sell day-of-departure upgrades for about three years now.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:43 am

Data point : j to f usd 500 dfw - cdg at the kiosk
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Airport agents have been able to sell day-of-departure upgrades for about three years now.
Yep, my mother purchased RDU-LHR from a RDU AC agent for $500 a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
Buying an upgrade as a non AA member?

I'm flying HEL-JFK-LAX, and I'm traveling as a Finnair (AY) member, but the JFK-LAX leg is ticketed as a AA flight, and naturally operated as well by AA.

When I transfer at JFK, can I buy an upgrade eco to business / first and is there any set price for such a thing? I've tried to ask for it before on the same leg, but the only answer I got was that there's no upgrades available.

I'm a OWE member / AY Platinum, and I do have a AA account as well (basic tier).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.