Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Paid airport upgrades DFW-LHR?

Hello,

Do AA ever do airport paid cash upgrades to business class DFW-LHR? If so - how much is this likely to be? I mean 'airport upgrade' prices rather an recalculating fare to J class etc if that makes sense.

Best Wishes,
M
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Ever? Perhaps.

But LBFU (Load Based Factor Upgrades) are only offered if AA doesn't think it can fill the seats with elites pending upgrades. I'd check out this thread but I suspect it is very unlikely.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ter-thd-7.html
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you - I'll try it...

Are BA miles an option at the airport?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by muggle
Thank you - I'll try it...

Are BA miles an option at the airport?
No.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Aa100 jfk-lhr

My wife and I booked JFK-LHR-FCO on a cheap fare. I’m AA GLD with seats in MCE (free; selected when I was PLT at the time) on AA 100 JFK-LHR for Saturday night flight. J Cabin was about 1/3 full and Y Cabin was about 1/2 full.

During check in, they offered $410/ea to upgrade to J. I took it (special occasion, plus I didn’t want a cranky sightseeing companion).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
What's the accrual status of a leg upgraded by LFBU? Does it accrue at the upgraded rate or the original booking class?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by EFATO
What's the accrual status of a leg upgraded by LFBU? Does it accrue at the upgraded rate or the original booking class?
Original booking class.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
We're flying JFK-LAX tonight in paid (discount) J. We were not offered a LFBU/DODU at T-24 check-in. Is there still a chance that we'll get one at the airport kiosk, or is this not going to happen?

Our flight is full in Y and J with F wide open.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by as219
We're flying JFK-LAX tonight in paid (discount) J. We were not offered a LFBU/DODU at T-24 check-in. Is there still a chance that we'll get one at the airport kiosk, or is this not going to happen?

Our flight is full in Y and J with F wide open.
I've had success buying from the kiosk when I wasn't offered at check-in, but that was on a much smaller flight on Thanksgiving. YMMV.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
JFK-SFO, Y to J - $282

Flying JFK-SFO, offered upgrade to transcon Business at check-in 24 hours prior to the flight. $282 for MCE (via AS MVP Gold status) to Business. I accepted.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
does it make a difference if I have a BA or an AA Frequent flyer number?

First time flying American Airlines but would like to buy an upgrade, I have experience with United if I have a United Non Elite Frequent flyer on reservation is cheaper than have a star alliance Frequent Flyer. I have a British airways membership and I would like to get the miles to that account, what do you recommend? can I add my BA frequent flyer number now or will that decrease the change for this type of offers.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by miranda.mario
First time flying American Airlines but would like to buy an upgrade, I have experience with United if I have a United Non Elite Frequent flyer on reservation is cheaper than have a star alliance Frequent Flyer. I have a British airways membership and I would like to get the miles to that account, what do you recommend? can I add my BA frequent flyer number now or will that decrease the change for this type of offers.
Where you travel from and to? Paid upgrades for none elites are done at check in if they are available
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Where you travel from and to? Paid upgrades for none elites are done at check in if they are available
Thanks for your answer,

Ill be flying SAP to MIA. any Ideas how much I will be ask to pay in that segment?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
$610 LFBU upgrade to J on first flight of the season from FCO to DFW

The two of us were booked in Premium Economy on the 2018 season's first flight from FCO to DFW leaving March 26th. When we checked in online, we were pleasantly surprised to be offered an upgrade to J for just $610 each. Given that we had paid a little less than $900 for the leg in PY (I'm referring to half the roundtrip airfare here), adding the $610 brought the total up to around $1,500, which I think is a REAL steal for a 12-hour flight in a refreshed J cabin with lie-flat B/E Aerospace seats. Now we aren't even AAdvantage members, our loyalties lie with AS. So it makes me wonder why AA gave us this chance for such a bargain upgrade? I wondered if it was because PY was overbooked, but when I looked at the available seats before departure there were at least 5 empty seats, so that was clearly not the case. In any case we were very happy with this turn of events. Does AA do this on a regular basis, I wonder? If so, I might be tempted to fly them more often LOL.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Legrand
The two of us were booked in Premium Economy on the 2018 season's first flight from FCO to DFW leaving March 26th. When we checked in online, we were pleasantly surprised to be offered an upgrade to J for just $610 each. Given that we had paid a little less than $900 for the leg in PY (I'm referring to half the roundtrip airfare here), adding the $610 brought the total up to around $1,500, which I think is a REAL steal for a 12-hour flight in a refreshed J cabin with lie-flat B/E Aerospace seats. Now we aren't even AAdvantage members, our loyalties lie with AS. So it makes me wonder why AA gave us this chance for such a bargain upgrade? I wondered if it was because PY was overbooked, but when I looked at the available seats before departure there were at least 5 empty seats, so that was clearly not the case. In any case we were very happy with this turn of events. Does AA do this on a regular basis, I wonder? If so, I might be tempted to fly them more often LOL.
See the LFBU thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thd-18.html

AA offers these upgrades to all passengers at check in if the situation arises. This only occurs if there are surplus seats in the J cabin AA expects not to sell and not enough elite upgrade requests by SWU or other mileage + copay upgrade requests to fulfill available inventory. Unclear if PE would be given a cheaper upgrade "price" than economy, I'll let others chime in but it wouldn't surprise me as the incremental difference would be smaller. Hope you enjoyed the J cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.