Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Load Factor Based Upgrades (LFBU) and Day Of Departure Upgrades (DODU)
These generally relate to Non-elite, space-available, kiosk, online and counter upgrades which may be available close to departure if there is unused (after sales and pending upgrades) inventory once the flight has passed to airport control; these are available for payment (normally, credit card).

On line check in offers may be made at the time of check-in, including with the AA app.

Kiosk-based LFBUs may be offered at the Self-Service (Check-in) Machines ("kiosk") (and occasionally with online check-in) if there are seats available - as per the AA wording and the FAQ (see first post). One may be offered a LFBU on an award ticket.

Counter Upgrades may be offered at the ticket counter or Admirals Club in the USA or at non-stateside locations on occasion, usually announced by a small sign visible to passengers checking in at the ticket counter or Club. They may be offered (or not) and may cost as much as $750 (or more) for a longhaul transocean flight.

As per other upgrades, one earns miles / points at the level of the originally purchased fare.

Older posts have been archived here.
Print Wikipost

DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As you'll be doing OLCI on the AY web site, you won't be offered a Cash LMU if there are seats in J open on the JFK-LAX flight. You can't use AY miles to upgrade, though you could purchase AA 500-mile upgrade credits -- you'll need 5 of them -- to put in your AA account. In that case, you can log into the AA site and pull up your booking. You'd have to change you FF number to your AA account. There should be a box where you can request an upgrade. That will put you on the wait list. If you clear, you can go through with the purchase of eUpgrade credits at the gate. (If you can't make this change and request online, call AA to set the upgrade request up on that segment.)

However, the demand for J on these routes is quite high and you'd be behind any AA EXP (and other tiers) and your OW Emerald status wouldn't give you any priority (this wouldn't matter as you'd have to draw the upgrade credits from a non-status AA account). So unless your flight is before the end of this month, your only method would be checking with AA when you get through immigration/customs at JFK to see if there are any LMUs left to be sold on your flight.

If it's this month, you might check out the thread here offering the use of an expiring SWU. That person could contact AA with your flight details and put you on the waitlist (it certainly wouldn't clear until shortly before boarding) and sponsor you.

Any way, it's going to be a long shot unless you're flying on a early Saturday or Sunday morning, the two lightest business travel periods when J is likely to have lots of open seats.

Last edited by Shareholder; Feb 21, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
JFK-LAX is a premium route and most likely a lot of people typically buy the BUS/FIR class ticket outright. The only chance you could potentially buy it will either be upon check in at the kiosk on JFK if they offer the opportunity to buy up to BUS/FIR or see if AA can offer the buy up difference separately. This is not an easy upgrade to score.

Most likely you have an AY ticket, what is the JFK-LAX flight #, is it a AY # or an AA #?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
As you'll be doing OLCI on the AY web site, you won't be offered a Cash LMU if there are seats in J open on the JFK-LAX flight. You can't use AY miles to upgrade, though you could purchase AA 500-mile upgrade credits -- you'll need 5 of them -- to put in your AA account. In that case, you can log into the AA site and pull up your booking. You'd have to change you FF number to your AA account. There should be a box where you can request an upgrade. That will put you on the wait list. If you clear, you can go through with the purchase of eUpgrade credits at the gate. (If you can't make this change and request online, call AA to set the upgrade request up on that segment.)
Are you sure this is correct? I don't think non-AA elites can use 500 mile certificates (even if you have them in your bank)

From the AA Terms and Conditions
Non elite status members may only upgrade when they are traveling as the companion to an elite status member.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by neo_781
Are you sure this is correct? I don't think non-AA elites can use 500 mile certificates (even if you have them in your bank)
You're correct of course.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
Originally Posted by arollins
JFK-LAX is a premium route and most likely a lot of people typically buy the BUS/FIR class ticket outright. The only chance you could potentially buy it will either be upon check in at the kiosk on JFK if they offer the opportunity to buy up to BUS/FIR or see if AA can offer the buy up difference separately. This is not an easy upgrade to score.

Most likely you have an AY ticket, what is the JFK-LAX flight #, is it a AY # or an AA #?
The JFK - LAX is AA#.

I'll just ask at JFK I'm just interested to see if I'd get the upgrade for a few hundred, I did manage way back to buy a cross atlantic upgrade from the gate on AA, for 500 USD, and I suppose that JFK-LAX would be way less
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by The_Director
The JFK - LAX is AA#.

I'll just ask at JFK I'm just interested to see if I'd get the upgrade for a few hundred, I did manage way back to buy a cross atlantic upgrade from the gate on AA, for 500 USD, and I suppose that JFK-LAX would be way less
It would probably be something like $275 if you were offered it (I've been seeing non-elites offered upgrades at check-in for $55 per 500-mile segment in recent months).

Your best bet would probably be to try at an AA kiosk at JFK. You should be able to pull up the reservation with your AA record locator, and there's a slim chance (probably zero on that route) that you'd be offered an upgrade.

I've had non-status companions offered upgrades on SDF-DCA for $55, DCA-DFW for $165, and EZE-DFW for $550. But in all of those cases, there were empty seats in J even after all the elites seeking upgrades had been cleared. And on SFO/LAX-JFK I don't think you're going to have a situation where the entire elite list clears unless you're very lucky.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
AA EQD AND EQM with JL Codeshares

I am booked on a JL flight under the AA Codeshare. If I pay the 30,000 Yen to upgrade to Premium Economy, would that reset the EQM to 1.5 EQM for W class on a NRT-ORD Flight. I was also wondering would that somehow increase the EQD for the flight, too? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure the upgrade is worth it to me if I do not get the EQM boost or EQD boost.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:44 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gizmodell
I am booked on a JL flight under the AA Codeshare. If I pay the 30,000 Yen to upgrade to Premium Economy, would that reset the EQM to 1.5 EQM for W class on a NRT-ORD Flight. I was also wondering would that somehow increase the EQD for the flight, too? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure the upgrade is worth it to me if I do not get the EQM boost or EQD boost.
Sometimes system mistakes do happen, but you will most likely earn credit based on your original booking class - not to whatever cabin you may have upgraded.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Does anyone have any recent data points ex-LHR, specifically for LHR-ORD?

Also, is it the case in LHR too that the kiosks are more likely to offer this than the check in desks?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:07 pm

HKG-LAX on 4/3/17:

Online check-in upgrade offer from Y to J was $775 at T-20.
Kiosk had the same offer ($775) at T-6.
One guy used copay+miles to upgrade at the gate at T-1.
At about T-0.5, a whole bunch of non-revs were very happy because they cleared standby into the 4 F and 12 J seats that were left.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Forgot about this thread, but I've been offered Y to J for $500 on BCN-JFK twice in the last month (both Fridays).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:13 pm

what does AA usually charge for LAX-CLT upgrade during online check-in?

what does AA usually charge for LAX-CLT upgrade during online check-in? just a ballpark figure.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ShutteLag
what does AA usually charge for LAX-CLT upgrade during online check-in? just a ballpark figure.
LFBU / DODU: Space Available Upgrades...

The usual price is $45 per 500 miles, as noted in the wiki, but lately there have been a few reports this jumping to $55.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing LFBU thread. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by uclachef
HKG-LAX on 4/3/17:

Online check-in upgrade offer from Y to J was $775 at T-20.
Kiosk had the same offer ($775) at T-6.
One guy used copay+miles to upgrade at the gate at T-1.
At about T-0.5, a whole bunch of non-revs were very happy because they cleared standby into the 4 F and 12 J seats that were left.
should be rich in miles to prefer miles PLUS copay than 775 without miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.