Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mmdough
Assuming you fulfill all requirements end of September, you still have to wait 90 after that to see the points according to terms on Citi offer page.
My wife technically met all requirements by maybe September 3-4. It's now almost 60 days from when she completed the requirements. We will wait another month
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Existing Citi checking (not Citigold) customer, but going to take a flyer on trying to get the bonus for this anyway since my Prestige card anniversary is coming up. Worst case, I get the $100 fee reduction and the 15% relationship bonus, and I'm out the cost of a MO.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:07 am

Has anyone been able to use their Citi Platinum AAdvantage card to fund the account?

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 12, 2015 at 2:05 pm Reason: Removed garish formatting
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by schrute
Has anyone been able to use their Citi Platinum AAdvantage card to fund the account?
Yeah, no issues. Got the points from spend and counted toward the minimum spend on the card.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 12, 2015 at 2:05 pm Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Yeah, no issues. Got the points from spend and counted toward the minimum spend on the card.
Did it post as a cash advance? Or did you take it down?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:25 pm

Did it post as a cash advance? Or did you take it down?
I didn't take down my limit, but the amount I charged exceeded my limit. Definitely didn't charge as a cash advance or I wouldn't consider that to have been a success.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
I didn't take down my limit, but the amount I charged exceeded my limit. Definitely didn't charge as a cash advance or I wouldn't consider that to have been a success.
How long ago did you do this?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:32 pm

How long ago did you do this?
Last month
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: aadvantage
Does anybody experience on an easy way to make a bill payment that can post immediately. Does paypal or amazon payments still work to do this, if so do you just make a payment to somebody else and its processed as an ach payment.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by ramosz83
Does anybody experience on an easy way to make a bill payment that can post immediately. Does paypal or amazon payments still work to do this, if so do you just make a payment to somebody else and its processed as an ach payment.
I used my new Citi Gold account to bill pay my Citi credit card which posted within a few days. Or do you need something posted even faster than a CC payment?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: UAL, AA
Tax Burden Question

Apologies if this has already been answered but I searched the thread and could not see anything:

If I open a CitiGold account and get the 50,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, will there be a tax burden on the bonus miles? I have only seen posts about tax burdens on TY points, but nothing with regard to AAdvantage miles.

Planning to fund the account with my CitiAAdvantage card if that makes any difference as well ($45k limit).

Thanks,

Blasky

Last edited by blasky; Nov 10, 2015 at 11:31 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by blasky
Apologies if this has already been answered but I searched the thread and could not see anything:

If I open a CitiGold account and get the 50,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, will there be a tax burden on the bonus miles? I have only seen posts about tax burdens on TY points, but nothing with regard to AAdvantage miles.

Planning to fund the account with my CitiAAdvantage card if that makes any difference as well ($45k limit).

Thanks,

Blasky
Sweet <swizzle sticks> man, how do you have $50K credit limit with AAAdvantage? Do you use the card religiously? Are you spending a ton on it? I barely have $20K, would LOVE to get me some free 50K miles.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 12, 2015 at 2:07 pm Reason: Removed religious term which could offend
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:17 pm

I've gotten my Citigold account opened, funded efficiently with $30k from AA Citi Exec Platinum, and have already hit my $1000 debit spend. I still need to do the 2 bill pays and don't want to screw it up. Does anyone know the precise details for qualification? Are the 2 consecutive months tested as calendar months, such that paying a bill on 11/30 and on 12/1 would work? Does it have to be the same bill each month for two months (e.g., cable, power, etc), or just making two transfers through the bill pay feature?

Thanks for any input!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by blasky
I have only seen posts about tax burdens on TY points, but nothing with regard to AAdvantage miles.
No tax burden on either one when I looked into it earlier this year. Apparently, the tax burden thing on TY points was purely hypothetical, and it happened like 10 years ago.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by rbw5t
I've gotten my Citigold account opened, funded efficiently with $30k from AA Citi Exec Platinum, and have already hit my $1000 debit spend. I still need to do the 2 bill pays and don't want to screw it up. Does anyone know the precise details for qualification? Are the 2 consecutive months tested as calendar months, such that paying a bill on 11/30 and on 12/1 would work? Does it have to be the same bill each month for two months (e.g., cable, power, etc), or just making two transfers through the bill pay feature?

Thanks for any input!
I can not speak to your exact case. But if it's the same qualification as when I qualified this summer, there's no mandated fixed amount for bill pay. I simply paid one of my credit cards towards the last week of the month, and another one at the beginning of the month. So you should be fine with utility bills. Or you can even split one utility bill into two payments if time permits.

Personally I would not wait till 11/30 as bill pay is only posted on bank business days and the bank most of the time do not post bill pay the day it's submitted. This may be true especially for new bill pay payee. If it were me, I'd do the first billpay around 11/23 or sooner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.