Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gohima
I was under the impression that these 1099's are precautionary and the IRS has no interest in trying to value and tax airlines miles at this time. Has something changed?
No, your impression is mistaken. Airline miles awarded by an airline to employees traveling on tickets bought by their employers for flying activity are the miles the IRS chose to ignore quite a few years ago, but no such exception/exemption/exclusion applies for miles like these that are clearly income. And miles awarded by a bank for opening a deposit account are income.

Flight activity miles awarded by airlines for flying are a rebate, and thus not income to individual taxpayers unless they deducted the cost of the travel (like for business purposes). If an employer paid for the travel, and deducted the cost of the travel, then the flight activity miles are income to the employee/traveler. The IRS has so far given a pass to those miles with the excuse that it would be tough to value those miles.

Miles that are income include miles awarded by an airline or anyone else in a contest or prize, like when AA holds a contest and the prize is a million miles. Anything of value given to you by a bank in exchange for opening a deposit account is interest income, whether it be a toaster, a hundred bucks or a big pile of airline miles.

The only open question is the taxable value of the miles. If taxpayers disagree with Citi's asserted value, they're free to challenge it and declare a different value on their return.

So far, we haven't seen any movement to tax the miles awarded by credit card issuers, but that's completely different from deposit account miles like these.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:12 am

I opened my last Citigold in August, 2013 and closed it in March 2014. Am I qualified to open a new one now? Somehow "wait for 2 years" was my impression.

Will the promotion code lizs provided above work for everyone? Not targeted? (Thank you lizs!)

FYI - Last time I received 30,000 AA miles in Dec 2013 and Citi did not send me a 1099 in Jan/Feb 2014.

TIA!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I received this promo and was hesitant because of the 1099 but was unable to find a report of anybody receiving one after 2013.

I opened the account this week. It was a bit of a hassle as the personal banker wasn't familiar with how to actually get the offer code linked to the new account. After a few e-mails with the bank manager I got the promo confirmed.

Sent 1 bill pay out yesterday, purchased a money order on the debit card and will send out another bill payment to the same person on Monday when March begins.

Will report back if and when the miles post.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
xxxxxx

Last edited by ermintrude; Aug 30, 2015 at 11:03 pm
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not sure why they can't link to your AA account.

I just had to get a manual investigation and processing of my 30k miles, which I insisted upon after being informed that all texas bank accounts are transferring to BB&T this month.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
anyone get a 1099 from citi this year?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Sent 1 bill pay out yesterday, purchased a money order on the debit card and will send out another bill payment to the same person on Monday when March begins.

I'm in a similar boat. Opened account on 2/25 and sent billpay that completed on 2/27. From what I read, the billpay is 2 consecutive calendar months, which I took as meaning 31 days after the first billpay. As opposed to 2/27 then 3/1.

I am interested to see which method is successful. Personally I. Don't want to risk it unless someone knows otherwise....
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by adschnei
I'm in a similar boat. Opened account on 2/25 and sent billpay that completed on 2/27. From what I read, the billpay is 2 consecutive calendar months, which I took as meaning 31 days after the first billpay. As opposed to 2/27 then 3/1.

I am interested to see which method is successful. Personally I. Don't want to risk it unless someone knows otherwise....
I have read other reports on FT of people meeting reqs within a few days. I also plan to secure message Citi to confirm the requirements are met.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I received this promo and was hesitant because of the 1099 but was unable to find a report of anybody receiving one after 2013.

I opened the account this week. It was a bit of a hassle as the personal banker wasn't familiar with how to actually get the offer code linked to the new account. After a few e-mails with the bank manager I got the promo confirmed.

Did you actually give them your AA FF#. I used the code and the two people I spoke to on the phone said that that code would link to the AA FF# it was intended for. There was nowhere to put the AA# on the app and when I called in they said they cant put it in as they could only put in the offer number.

I said the offer was for my husband and they said that the person who the code was sent to is the only one that can get the AA miles?

Not doing this until I am assured that I will get the AA miles.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:49 am

I have read other reports on FT of people meeting reqs within a few days. I also plan to secure message Citi to confirm the requirements are met.
Hmmm I've definitely heard conflicting stories. I suppose its worth the effort to try and wrap things up right away!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:35 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adschnei
Hmmm I've definitely heard conflicting stories. I suppose its worth the effort to try and wrap things up right away!
I met the requirements in a short time, since I received my card near the end of a month. I've confirmed with Citi I met the requirements, but I'm still waiting for my miles to post. The 90 days have not yet passed.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:08 pm

Thanks BTA. I guess I better go get out a money order and finalize this spend!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:32 pm

Are all of you that have done this using the same offer code or were you invited by Citi with your own special offer code?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Are all of you that have done this using the same offer code or were you invited by Citi with your own special offer code?
I received the 30k mailing and it has the same code that was posted above so it's not unique.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
I received the 30k mailing and it has the same code that was posted above so it's not unique.
Thanks. I'm still not getting how does AA get my FF# as there is no where on the app to input it and the CSR said they don't have a field to enter it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.