Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 3:15 pm

Huh. Here's what I am getting:

Old May 11, 2014, 4:41 pm

For Citi, do direct deposits have to be from employer or will AP and PayPal deposits work? I remember reading somewhere that Citibank direct deposits must correspond to salary listed to qualify for AA miles.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
<removed circular link post merge>

www.offer.citibank.com and enter the code.
So, some say this particular offer is Truly Targeted. In other words, that if one's SSN isn't tied to the promo code, one either won't get the points while signing up or won't be able to sign-up period.

What's the most certain path to finding out whether this will work for any given applicant? I currently possess an active CitiBusiness AAdvantage Mastercard but not the personal card. Wife doesn't possess any Citi AA cards at the moment. Ideally we'd both apply for the checking account.

Not sure if we have a local Citi branch in the Raleigh, NC area--so I suppose that's one way to play this: show up in person. However, I'm a real DIY person and prefer, always, to sign-up online first if that's an option. Showing up at a branch is my second choice. Actually phoning in and possibly getting someone who isn't very knowledgeable about the promo is last on my list due to the potential Frustration Factor.

While signing up online, will:

* ... the app process stop me cold, if I'm ineligible for the promo, when I get toward the end of the process, e.g. enter SSN and continue

* ... the app process let me through to the end, even if I'm ineligible, and then I get a nasty surprise later trying to meeting the objectives but never getting the points?

Seems like a worthwhile way to earn 30K points even if there's overlap and I end up having to pay a min of $30 (one month of fees) or max of $60 (two months worth of fees). Have paid more than $60 on many occasions as a non-waived 1st year CC annual fee in order to get a bonus that I value as many multiples above the fee paid.

With the the bill pay requirement, must one:

* Pay the same bill for two consecutive months or...
* Can one pay two separate bills, a different one for each of the two consecutive months
* Want to confirm there's no Direct Deposit requirement for the 30K Citi gold checking account offer

One issue with a consolidated thread such as the present one is that there may be crosstalk about confusion about requirements for both the BankDirect product and the current 30K promo. One reason I'm not a huge fan of consolidated threads, although I appreciate the concept behind creating them, e.g. tidying up and getting all info in one place. But we're talking about two completely different products and sets of requirements. Might be better to have two separate threads, one for each for the two distinct AAdvantage-related checking account products (?)
Old May 12, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I wonder if there is a way to get the Gold offer without having to pay the monthly fees.
Old May 12, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
I wonder if there is a way to get the Gold offer without having to pay the monthly fees.
FWIW, attorneys and CPA's get the Citigold package for free, without the minimum balance requirement.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
So, some say this particular offer is Truly Targeted. In other words, that if one's SSN isn't tied to the promo code, one either won't get the points while signing up or won't be able to sign-up period.

What's the most certain path to finding out whether this will work for any given applicant? I currently possess an active CitiBusiness AAdvantage Mastercard but not the personal card. Wife doesn't possess any Citi AA cards at the moment. Ideally we'd both apply for the checking account.(?)

Best way to find out if you are eligible is probably just to call.
I was not targeted. I simply phoned in requesting "a little clarification on the terms of the offer I’d received."

Once the rep reiterated the terms on the 30k AA Citigold offer [pay (any) one bill for two consecutive months/ spend a cumulative $750 on the debit card over the course of those same two months], she simply asked if I wanted to go ahead and sign up over the phone. The number I used was 866-810-9043.

Last edited by kiltedflyer; May 14, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old May 14, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by compson
Huh. Here's what I am getting:

Try an "O" instead of a zero in front of the "Q".
Old May 14, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Try an "O" instead of a zero in front of the "Q".
Hah! It worked. I'll chalk it up to an ID-107 error, as we used to say in my computer repair days when a clueless person came in.

I logged into my current citigold account when prompted through offer.citibank.com and the whole process took less than one minute. I entered my SSN and clicked "apply" and that was it.

I should also add that the Citigold ATM/debit card is awesome. No foreign transaction fees, up to six ATM reimbursements each month. It's my go-to cash card when I am abroad. All fees waived for attorneys and CPA's.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:25 pm
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Hah! It worked. I'll chalk it up to an ID-107 error, as we used to say in my computer repair days when a clueless person came in.

I logged into my current citigold account when prompted through offer.citibank.com and the whole process took less than one minute. I entered my SSN and clicked "apply" and that was it.

I should also add that the Citigold ATM/debit card is awesome. No foreign transaction fees, up to six ATM reimbursements each month. It's my go-to cash card when I am abroad. All fees waived for attorneys and CPA's.
I tried calling in but the CSR said fees are not waived for attorneys and CPAs. Can you please cite your source and elaborate more about the waiver? Thanks!
Old May 14, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by KKR
I tried calling in but the CSR said fees are not waived for attorneys and CPAs. Can you please cite your source and elaborate more about the waiver? Thanks!
Ah, yeah. My source is my banker. I should have added that you need to open a Citibusiness account with them. I have had both the Citibusiness for my law office and Citigold personal accounts open for ~2 years and have never paid a fee of any kind. When my statement comes each month, the Citigold fees are listed, but under each line, it says "**WAIVE**".

My understanding is that this is a program designed to incentivize certain professionals, etc. to move their cash into Citi, but I am unclear as to whether it is written down anywhere. I think that it is, but YMMV. Sorry for the confusion.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:50 pm
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Ah, yeah. My source is my banker. I should have added that you need to open a Citibusiness account with them. I have had both the Citibusiness for my law office and Citigold personal accounts open for ~2 years and have never paid a fee of any kind. When my statement comes each month, the Citigold fees are listed, but under each line, it says "**WAIVE**".

My understanding is that this is a program designed to incentivize certain professionals, etc. to move their cash into Citi, but I am unclear as to whether it is written down anywhere. I think that it is, but YMMV. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for the explanation. For future reference, I was able to find them here:

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...gProfessionals

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...D=CitiBizLegal

Looks like we do need to have a Citi Business account.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:30 pm

Would this query Chexx or credit report hard pull?
Old May 15, 2014, 7:24 am

Happy to help! ^
Old May 15, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Voyaging
Would this query Chexx or credit report hard pull?
Per the WIKI at the top of the page, there is no hard pull.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:02 pm

One blogger suggested opening the account in a branch. I confess, I have not read the entire 65 pages of this thread, but his suggestion resonates with my "distrust big banks" sensibilities. I wonder, though, is this really necessary? Can't one keep a copy of the landing page as proof?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.