Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Especially since the IRS has decided not to tax frequent flier miles and I vehemently disagree with Citi's valuation for the miles.

From IRS Publication http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/a-02-18.pdf
That announcement by the IRS has nothing to do with miles that are awarded for opening a deposit account. It concerned miles that were awarded by the airline for flight activity. The IRS most certainly taxes the receipt of some frequent flier miles, like those won in a contest or miles that look like interest, like the Citi deposit account rewards.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That announcement by the IRS has nothing to do with miles that are awarded for opening a deposit account. It concerned miles that were awarded by the airline for flight activity. The IRS most certainly taxes the receipt of some frequent flier miles, like those won in a contest or miles that look like interest, like the Citi deposit account rewards.
Thing is in that publication they specifically called out that they don't know how to value them. That would make taxing them very difficult.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:21 pm

What is the latest offer code? I tried to look for it but can't find it. I toss away with my previous month's statement.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; DL Gold; UA Silver; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by senik619
Got targeted offer this morning via email for 30K. Going to jump on it. Requirements below:

1. Open a new Regular Checking account in an eligible package by 3/31/2014.

2. Within 60 days after account opening, complete both of the following qualifying activities:

One qualifying direct deposit each month for 2 consecutive calendar months AND

Spend the required minimum amount on purchases using your Citibank® Debit Card* ($750 for 30K miles).

i got similar offer in mail. did you open account yet? what sort of fees are associated with this checking account? Do I need to keep a minimum balance per month or during the first couple of months?

would appreciate any data points as I plan on opening an account within next two days but want to make sure I don't incur too many fees since i don't need this extra bank account.

cheers!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:02 pm

Just to confirm. If I do two Paypal transfers to this new account. They will show up as an ACH deposit and qualify for the direct deposit requirement for this promo? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:53 pm

Opened Citigold checking in November 2013. Completed requirements by 12/2. 30K miles posted on 2/14.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:07 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
For those of you wondering about if there was a 1099 for those who opened this account last year... I did not receive any 1099 by mail from Citi so far, so I did a Live Chat with Citi. Here, take a look at some snippets (the whole thing is way too long and frustrating):

Me: I wanted to check if there was going to be a 1099 reported for some American Airlines miles earned when I signed up for the citigold checking account.
Citi: You will not receive the 1099 statement, as you did not earn the interest more than $10.00. Need not to worry about it, c2d.
Me: Thank you. But, could you check if a 1099 was generated to report the American Airlines miles that were earned at account sign-up?
Citi: Just to confirm are you referring to the credit card?
Me: No, in fact I am referring to the Citigold checking account, which I downgraded later to Basic checking. If you are not familiar with this Citigold checking account sign-up offer that earns AA miles, could you please consult with a colleague or supervisor?
Citi: Sure. Please be informed that the AA miles caed will not earn any interest as such. Interest will be calculated only on the checking account and on the savings account.
Me: I understand that AA miles don't earn interest. But, there have been some reports that Citi will generate a 1099 where the AA miles are valued at some nominal value (such as 1 cent per mile) for the purpose of reporting to IRS. For example, Citi might value the 30,000 miles as $300 income and report to IRS. This is what I am asking about. Could you please look into this?
Citi: Considering AA miles to be a credit card, we do not deal with credit cards, as we are from checking and savings account department. You can call our credit card department, they will check that for you.
Me: Could you let me know if Citi generated a 1099 for my account? This is all I want to know
Citi: No, there is no 1099 statements for your checking account
Me: Okay, thanks. That is all I wanted to know.
Short answer -- no 1099. That is all folks.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:48 pm

I just signed up for the 30,000 miles promotion and got the gold checking account. I made a debit card purchase and shows as *DEBIT PIN PURCHASE. Does this qualify, or I shouldn't use the pin? If I transfer from Bluebird to Citibank, does it qualify as direct deposit? Or should I transfer from Bank of America, or Credit Union to Citibank??
Thank you

Last edited by dihorul; Feb 26, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:25 am

Anyone been able to use Venmo to meet debit card spend?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:35 pm

I got 15K AA miles for opening a Citi account almost 3 years ago but closed it about 6 months ago. I'm now married and would like to open another Citi account to get more miles. However, I haven't gotten any more emails from Citi with AA promo codes. I suspect I won't get another promo in my email for quite some time. How have other people gotten AA bonuses two times or more? Can I use someone else's promo code? If so, anybody want to share?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I got 15K AA miles for opening a Citi account almost 3 years ago but closed it about 6 months ago. I'm now married and would like to open another Citi account to get more miles. However, I haven't gotten any more emails from Citi with AA promo codes. I suspect I won't get another promo in my email for quite some time. How have other people gotten AA bonuses two times or more? Can I use someone else's promo code? If so, anybody want to share?
It looks like this promo is for people that have AA credit card and open the checking account. The promo code is not unique so this will not be a problem. Also I think you need to have the checking account closed for more than 6 months to get the bonus second time.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ttonev
..... Also I think you need to have the checking account closed for more than 6 months to get the bonus second time.
In the past, Citibank told me that in order to get a new Citibank checking bonus, I must be a new customer. They told me that a new customer was someone who did not have an account within the last 90 days. This information is 2 years old.

Does anyone have a current data point on obtaining a new checking account bonus?

In a related matter, in the past, I believe Suntrust required checking accounts to remain open at least 6 months for the opening Customer Service Representative to maintain the commission that was received for opening the new account. Is there a similar timeline for Citibank.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:03 am

It looks like this promo is for people that have AA credit card and open the checking account. The promo code is not unique so this will not be a problem. Also I think you need to have the checking account closed for more than 6 months to get the bonus second time.
I meet those criteria but haven't been emailed an offer code. Does anybody mind sharing it? Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Thanks for this info.. I have 4 AA cards now and my recent card triggered another 30k offer.

I closed my account in January.. I'll have to wait until July.

Trouble with the offer is sometimes they don't allow you to sign up online and going to the bank can kill a couple of hours during working hours. Requirements were quite easy but there is a long waiting time before the miles post.

Anyway, I'll still do it again for 30k AA miles.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:34 pm

changing account type

does anybody know if account type can be changed over the phone? citibank decided to change my account to require a minimum fee after they closed all the branches in my city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.