Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Did the CFPB on August 2nd. Got a response last week saying I was not targeted. Maybe the code in the earlier post, which was also on many others was tied to individual people?

Still not right. They allowed me to go through the entire process.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Did the CFPB on August 2nd. Got a response last week saying I was not targeted. Maybe the code in the earlier post, which was also on many others was tied to individual people?

Still not right. They allowed me to go through the entire process.
They stated I was not targeted, but I had written proof citibank agents had told me I qualified. So they gave me the miles anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:02 am

close or downgrade to free account

So, I finally received my 50k miles after long fight of 2-3 months with citi. Is it safe to close citi gold account or is it better to just downgrade it to free account? I don't remember there being any crawlback possible but just wanted to confirm. Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:28 am

also would like to know, got my miles but would like to close the account, and risk of them taking back the miles?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bernyx
also would like to know, got my miles but would like to close the account, and risk of them taking back the miles?
I have done this 3 times so far in the last 5 years, each time closing within 2 weeks of getting the miles. Never had a miles clawback so far.
PS there in nothing in the terms stating they will do this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I have done this 3 times so far in the last 5 years, each time closing within 2 weeks of getting the miles. Never had a miles clawback so far.
PS there in nothing in the terms stating they will do this.
Why close the account so quick? Why not just leave the card open until an annual fee comes up?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Thanks lovetotravelcheap.

Three exchanges with Branch Mgr and still no luck so far after 3 weeks. It seems like they don't even have any pull internally.

Finally called Citi Exec. Response Unit this AM. Very helpful guy; Rick. Took all the info and the chronology of events from me. He was very focused on fact we had received direct mail offer and had opened all accounts with Branch Mrg. Needs to open case, verify with Branch Mgr. and will resolve within 7 working days. He said there's no issue; just needs to go thru process to document.

He did say that there were a number of bogus applications that have been submitted for the AA promotion that shouldn't have received the miles (unlike ours). They had run out of miles but had just recently received new supply.

Here's hoping. Thanks for helpful input. Good luck to rest of you.

Originally Posted by lovetotravelcheap
jacknyoc and everyone else: Don't bother calling Citi CSR because you won't get anywhere.

Instead, there are a few ways on how to handle this to get your miles:

1) call the Citibank Executive Response Unit: 866-336-7285 - this is the highest up you can get at Citibank. They represent the Office of the President so if you try to call Citibank's NYC phone number and ask for the Office of the President, you are transferred to these people. They are extremely customer service oriented so please make sure to be as polite as possible.

2) file a CFPB complaint - as others said, they respond to these and have had success; I believe if you file a complaint, they are reviewed & responded to by the Executive Response Unit.

I opted to select the first option and called the Executive Response Unit. Filing a CFPB complaint might get their attention a little quicker since it's an official complaint. However, I didn't know about the CFPB website until after I had already called. Anyways, I was told it takes 7-10 business days for them to research it. They review all recorded phone calls, emails and online chats so they are able to see if anyone at Citibank promised the miles to you on the record. I received a response on the 10th business day that my case was approved and I would be granted the miles. However, due to an overwhelming number of inquiries they've been receiving, they ran out of miles and have more on order so they should be put into my AAdvantage account within 1-2 weeks.

Good luck to everyone.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:55 pm

Anyone else receive a W-9 form after receiving their miles? Last I read Citi was still sending 1099s for TYPs earned from checking accounts (based on their redemption date), but not for AA miles. They might just send W-9s for all accounts, but this seems to suggest a 1099 is coming this year as well. Did anyone receive a 1099 for AA miles, from a checking account bonus, in 2015?

(I didn't have to file a claim with the CFPB to get my miles, but it did take a number of secure messages with Citi.)
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Why close the account so quick? Why not just leave the card open until an annual fee comes up?
Its a checking account not a CC. The fee is monthly not annual.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:55 am

Has anyone filed a CFPB complaint and won, and then closed their checking account prior to Citi posting the miles? Citi agreed to honor the offer because their customer service verified my eligibility, but I would rather not have to pay an additional two months in service fees while I wait the stated 60 days for the miles to post.

It's been a week since Citi responded to the CFPB complaint, so I don't think my miles will post as quickly as other people here have experienced.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Matter resolved thankfully. ERU contacted me with news on 9/9 and AA miles posted 9/10. The guy with the ERU was very helpful and responsive. Good advice to go that route. 7 months from account opening; 5 months from meeting minimum requirements. Oh well, it's' done. Thanks. Good luck to all of you still dealing this Citi mess.

Originally Posted by jacknyoc
Thanks lovetotravelcheap.

Three exchanges with Branch Mgr and still no luck so far after 3 weeks. It seems like they don't even have any pull internally.

Finally called Citi Exec. Response Unit this AM. Very helpful guy; Rick. Took all the info and the chronology of events from me. He was very focused on fact we had received direct mail offer and had opened all accounts with Branch Mrg. Needs to open case, verify with Branch Mgr. and will resolve within 7 working days. He said there's no issue; just needs to go thru process to document.

He did say that there were a number of bogus applications that have been submitted for the AA promotion that shouldn't have received the miles (unlike ours). They had run out of miles but had just recently received new supply.

Here's hoping. Thanks for helpful input. Good luck to rest of you.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:32 pm

Me! I received a W9. I was denied the bonus but I filed a claim with the CFPB to get my miles. Within a few weeks, my AA miles posted to my account and the account fees were redeposited. I'm confused as to why the W9??? Do I have to fill it out? I plan on closing the account if I can or at least downgrading (not sure if closing account now is ok or if I need to wait).

Originally Posted by jhendrix74
Anyone else receive a W-9 form after receiving their miles? Last I read Citi was still sending 1099s for TYPs earned from checking accounts (based on their redemption date), but not for AA miles. They might just send W-9s for all accounts, but this seems to suggest a 1099 is coming this year as well. Did anyone receive a 1099 for AA miles, from a checking account bonus, in 2015?

(I didn't have to file a claim with the CFPB to get my miles, but it did take a number of secure messages with Citi.)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
If you don't fill out the W-9, it could be a tax issue. I would fill it out.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Any current reports of how long is taking to get the miles? my wife, mother & farther in law got a letter by mail for 50K AAdvantage a couple of weeks ago and she (my wife) got another one yesterday, unfortunately I'm already have one so I don't qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.