Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by FrankZap
wd3qfs2y4c
You could try either a different branch or opening online. Looking at Citi's terms ( https://online.citi.com/JRSAO/ao_onl...ode=WD3QFS2Y4C ), I don't see anything that supports the story you relayed about the branch manager. https://offer.citibank.com is where you can put in that code.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:37 pm

I think he was just trying it on.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:12 pm

There's another CitiGold offer that requires a minimum $50k deposit. Also, parking $50k will waive the monthly $30 fee.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
There's another CitiGold offer that requires a minimum $50k deposit. Also, parking $50k will waive the monthly $30 fee.
Just got off a chat session (which I saved) and confirmed that the bank manager was talking crap and "there is no requirement to keep any minimum balance in the account": just the credit card and the bank account must be open and in good standing when the miles are to be dispersed - 90 days AFTER completing the 2 tasks, so maybe 5 months in all.

I figure that the $50,000 could earn 1% at Ally bank, so after taxes it's about a wash, except I am hoping I'll get a free pass on the $30 fee for a couple of months ...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:13 am

Data Point

11/24 Opened CG.
1/4 Met spending/bill pay requirements.
3/19 Sent SM for updates, gave them my AA number. I was told the miles would post 4/30 at the latest.
3/24 bonus miles posted, even though it does say transaction date of 3/17 on my AA account.

Just booked a reward flight (two days after devaluation).
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Originally Posted by tranceformer978
11/24 Opened CG.
1/4 Met spending/bill pay requirements.
3/19 Sent SM for updates, gave them my AA number. I was told the miles would post 4/30 at the latest.
3/24 bonus miles posted...
Lucky you - was just checking this board for experience here. I met spending/bill pay requirements on 12/3/15 and have yet to see my 50K bonus miles posted. Messaged back in Jan to confirm requirements were met, received confirmation. Tomorrow marks precisely 90 days since 12/31/2015 closing date of month in which requirements were met. Just messaged again.

As others have noted, it appears this promotion requires a bit of Customer Service nudging in order for miles to post.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scholity
Lucky you - was just checking this board for experience here. I met spending/bill pay requirements on 12/3/15 and have yet to see my 50K bonus miles posted. Messaged back in Jan to confirm requirements were met, received confirmation. Tomorrow marks precisely 90 days since 12/31/2015 closing date of month in which requirements were met. Just messaged again.

As others have noted, it appears this promotion requires a bit of Customer Service nudging in order for miles to post.
Who would you say is best to nudge? What number would be best for me to call?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Has this offer for 50k miles expired (prior said 3/31/16) or is there a current one?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Thumbs down Citibank closed my account because I forgot to sign "Signature Card"

After getting halfway to meeting the $1000 debit card spend requirement and doing the billpays, Citi decided to close my account.

They didn't even give me a warning, I logged in last week and saw my balance was at $0.00 and there had been a withdrawal from some location in California, and I called in thinking that someone had hacked my account and taken all my money.

After some time on the line with a rep, they said that I had called in to close the account, when I hadn't. They were going to listen to the phone call recordings and get back to me. 5 phone calls later someone finally tells me it was because I hadn't sent in the "signature card", even though I had opened this account IN A BRANCH and signed a bunch of papers there. I don't even remember anyone mentioning a signature card.

Called about 7 times and spending about 3 hours total on talking with customer service. They said I'm welcome to open a new account, but this one is closed.

When I asked whether I could still be eligible for the bonus (given that it ended 3/31), they said "you'd have to go to a branch and put in a special request". I think I've wasted enough time with Citi, but was wondering what you guys might think about the situation.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by sikorloa
After getting halfway to meeting the $1000 debit card spend requirement and doing the billpays, Citi decided to close my account.

They didn't even give me a warning, I logged in last week and saw my balance was at $0.00 and there had been a withdrawal from some location in California, and I called in thinking that someone had hacked my account and taken all my money.

After some time on the line with a rep, they said that I had called in to close the account, when I hadn't. They were going to listen to the phone call recordings and get back to me. 5 phone calls later someone finally tells me it was because I hadn't sent in the "signature card", even though I had opened this account IN A BRANCH and signed a bunch of papers there. I don't even remember anyone mentioning a signature card.

Called about 7 times and spending about 3 hours total on talking with customer service. They said I'm welcome to open a new account, but this one is closed.

When I asked whether I could still be eligible for the bonus (given that it ended 3/31), they said "you'd have to go to a branch and put in a special request". I think I've wasted enough time with Citi, but was wondering what you guys might think about the situation.
I didn't send in my signature card for my CG account (forgot to, opened online) and the worst thing that happened was a bounced check. I called and they said that since they had my check, they were able to just use that in place of the signature card.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I didn't send in my signature card for my CG account (forgot to, opened online) and the worst thing that happened was a bounced check. I called and they said that since they had my check, they were able to just use that in place of the signature card.
Damn, yea, I never wrote any checks :-P.

I'm just disappointed they didn't call me or even send me an email. They were just like "nope... CLOSE".
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by sikorloa
Damn, yea, I never wrote any checks :-P.

I'm just disappointed they didn't call me or even send me an email. They were just like "nope... CLOSE".
I doubt that's the real reason. I've had two CG accounts (one a year ago and one now), and I never sent in the signature record for the checks. No problems at all.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:53 am

I have been a CG customer for several years, thus I am not eligible for this promo, right?
Should I close my account and wait 1-2 months and open a new one?

Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:34 pm

Data point: opened account around the end of Dec, miles just posted today. No fuss no muss.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Data point: opened account around the end of Dec, miles just posted today. No fuss no muss.
I also opened my CG account late Dec, met all requirements in early February. 50K posted today, still haven't been charged AF yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.