Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Does calling in or applying in-branch improve your chances of your application being approved? I applied online and they denied my application.
Did they tell you why? Perhaps you have a CitiGold account already. If so, you cannot open another one.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by ValueAdd82
However, between the time I opened my Citigold account and now, I opened a second AA plat (used the world elite upgrade trick to get a second 50k bonus).
Can you elaborate please?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by Superorb
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-cards-29.html
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:44 am

After I hit the $3k spending threshold on my first AA plat, my card was upgraded from a card that says "World" on the back to one that says "World Elite". For whatever reason, Citi counts this as a different product than the standard AA plat, so when it says in the bonus language for the card that you're not eligible for a sign-up bonus if you've had the card within the last 18 months, the upgraded Plat doesn't count against you.

Basically, as long as your current card says World Elite on the back, you can sign up again and get a second bonus. There's a lot more detail in the thread that flyaxa linked you to.

Last edited by ValueAdd82; Jan 28, 2016 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
After I hit the $3k spending threshold on my first AA plat, my card was upgraded from a card that says "World" on the back to one that says "World Elite". For whatever reason, Citi counts this as a different product than the standard AA plat, so when it says in the bonus language for the card that you're not eligible for a sign-up bonus if you've had the card within the last 18 months, the upgraded Plat doesn't count against you.

Basically, as long as your current card says World Elite on the back, you can sign up again and get a second bonus. There's a lot more detail in the thread that flyaxa linked you to.

Well that's interesting... currently the Citi AAdvantage Gold MasterCard is offering 25K sign up bonus... I never had that before.. I only had the Platinum Select MasterCard, so does that mean i can get the Gold and get 25K?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:38 am

Thanks both of you. Both of my current AAdvantage cards say World Elite on them, and I think they have always said that. All the links in that FT page note they're World cards, but not World Elite. Am I good to go? Sorry for OT.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:41 pm

Thanks both of you. Both of my current AAdvantage cards say World Elite on them, and I think they have always said that. All the links in that FT page note they're World cards, but not World Elite. Am I good to go? Sorry for OT.
Now I'm really curious, I applied a while back and got the Citi AAdvantage World MasterCard... but then citi sent me the new silver logo'ed AAdvantage World ELITE MasterCard...

Now I have canceled the card, can I apply for the World Elite Master card and get the 50K bonus?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Now I'm really curious, I applied a while back and got the Citi AAdvantage World MasterCard... but then citi sent me the new silver logo'ed AAdvantage World ELITE MasterCard...

Now I have canceled the card, can I apply for the World Elite Master card and get the 50K bonus?
Superorb: I believe all the cards originate as World and then change over to World Elite.
RedElmo: Yes, you can most likely get another bonus.

That all being said, you should head over to the proper thread for more detail and any further questions.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
Superorb: I believe all the cards originate as World and then change over to World Elite.

That all being said, you should head over to the proper thread for more detail and any further questions.
Thank you!

I just realized you posted the thread link above. which I missed... so for anyone else reading this in the future here is the link again

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-cards-29.html
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa

Yup, I dug up the original cards and both started out as W cards and were converted a month later to WE cards. I asked in the other thread and they say I'm good to get another bonus again, though I have no idea why I'm good to go. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:48 pm

I just tried loading $1000 from my CItigold debit to my Serve to meet debit requirement, but RA cashier told me $500 limit-- so I loaded $500 to my card and then tried loading another $500 to my wife's card. Mine went through, hers was declined. I don't know if this is because Citi has a daily limit on debit transactions or if my wife's Serve got the axe. She didn't get the dreaded email and was able to load yesterday.Those of you who used to be, did you do $500 at a time or $1000 all at once? Was there a daily limit?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by schrute
Are you eligible to get the 50K bonus again?

Say at Day 1: Apply to get the 50K bonus
Day 31: Complete both bill pays for 2 seperate months and 1 $1,000 purchase
Day 121: Receive the bonus
Day 122: Close Citigold account

... Wait for some period of time

Day ???: Apply for Citigold account again
Thoughts?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:34 am

Did anybody get a 1099 for either AA miles or TYP from these new account bonuses earned in 2015? My wife opened her CG in August but the TYP were awarded in early January.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
This thread is about the Citibank checking account. Info on the AA credit card can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-cards-13.html
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
New offer I've never seen: https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/16...E0B5264C10E44B

5 x interest up to a $500 bonus if you deposit $25K new funds and leave for 3 months. They will send you a 1099 though.

Good or bad?

Last edited by philemer; Feb 1, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.