Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
It says 90 days after the billing cycle closes in which you met all criteria.

I believe people have reported that multiple Citi CCs have posted as a purchase, to include the AAdvantage card.
Any concern with using the Citi AAdvantage card? Like shutting both accounts down? I would think Citi is watching manufactured spending.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:41 am

Can you use Amazon Payments or Square Cash or something like that to meet the $1k debit card purchase requirement?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:34 pm

I signed up for this, but was not prompted for my AAdvantage number. How does it register which account they will be depositing the miles into?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Can you use Amazon Payments or Square Cash or something like that to meet the $1k debit card purchase requirement?
Not sure about those two, but I believe the standard MO or load to Serve/Bluebird will work. I am assuming as long as it processes as debit you will be good to go.

Originally Posted by justchris82
I signed up for this, but was not prompted for my AAdvantage number. How does it register which account they will be depositing the miles into?
The offer is supposed to be for people that have the Citi AAdvantage card, so I believe they just look up your AA account by way of your SSN.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Atxbobcat

The offer is supposed to be for people that have the Citi AAdvantage card, so I believe they just look up your AA account by way of your SSN.
Would I be eligible for the current citigold checking offer of 50k AA miles if I don't have an AAdvantage card? I have a business AAdvantage card but not personal.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:55 am

Credit card AA points

Originally Posted by cbender49
You will get 22K miles from funding and (hopefully) 50K miles from the citibank checking account once you satisfy the requirements (spend, bill pay, etc.). the citibank checking account does not award miles beyond the initial bonus, and that is lump sum once you meet the requirements.
Can you or anyone confirm they got AA miles from funding the checking account with their AA Advantage Citibank credit card? I thought I read that to fund the checking account with a credit card you needed to NOT use a Citibank credit card.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dmarcus163
Can you or anyone confirm they got AA miles from funding the checking account with their AA Advantage Citibank credit card? I thought I read that to fund the checking account with a credit card you needed to NOT use a Citibank credit card.
I can 100% confirm you get miles and it helps reach minimum spend using Citi AAdvantage card.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by lkat
Would I be eligible for the current citigold checking offer of 50k AA miles if I don't have an AAdvantage card? I have a business AAdvantage card but not personal.
Is the business AAdvantage card not considered an AAdvantage card? "This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who receive this communication." This is pulled directly from the promotion disclosure. No specific mention of a personal or business card, simply a Citi AAdvantage credit card. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: United Silver
Sorry this may be a dumb question but I looked through the thread and didn't spot anything.

I signed up the:
CitiGold - 50k AA Mile Bonus
Citi Exec Card - 75k Bonus ($7500/3mo) and got a 20k limit.

It is my understanding I can call Citi ask them to take the cash advance of the Citi Exec Card down to 0 or near 0 I then can then fax/call in a 20k charge to load the CitiGold Account from my Citi Exec Card which would satisfy my limit on the CC. I would then figure out a MO and 2 bill pays for the CitiGold acct requirements.

Ideally this would net:
75 (Exec)
50 (CitiGold)
20 (CC Spend)
-------
145k AA Points

My questions is can I then just cut a check from the CitiGold to Pay off the 20k outstanding balance on the Exec card? Does it need to be a check? Can I use billpay? Or do I need to somehow get creative with how I move the funds back around?

I feel like this is too easy and I may be missing something.

**Note I understand I should leave ~90 or so in the checking account in case I get hit my monthly fees as I will be under the 50k mins.

Any advise is very much appreciated.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by thebob6
Sorry this may be a dumb question but I looked through the thread and didn't spot anything.

I signed up the:
CitiGold - 50k AA Mile Bonus
Citi Exec Card - 75k Bonus ($7500/3mo) and got a 20k limit.

It is my understanding I can call Citi ask them to take the cash advance of the Citi Exec Card down to 0 or near 0 I then can then fax/call in a 20k charge to load the CitiGold Account from my Citi Exec Card which would satisfy my limit on the CC. I would then figure out a MO and 2 bill pays for the CitiGold acct requirements.

Ideally this would net:
75 (Exec)
50 (CitiGold)
20 (CC Spend)
-------
145k AA Points

My questions is can I then just cut a check from the CitiGold to Pay off the 20k outstanding balance on the Exec card? Does it need to be a check? Can I use billpay? Or do I need to somehow get creative with how I move the funds back around?

I feel like this is too easy and I may be missing something.

**Note I understand I should leave ~90 or so in the checking account in case I get hit my monthly fees as I will be under the 50k mins.

Any advise is very much appreciated.
You can technically do that, but why put yourself in that position? It's easy enough to go:

Citigold $20k -> Other Checking $20k -> Citi Exec $20k Pmt
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
You can technically do that, but why put yourself in that position? It's easy enough to go:

Citigold $20k -> Other Checking $20k -> Citi Exec $20k Pmt
Duh! I knew I was missing something really simple there. Haha.

Thank You!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:01 pm

Not sure if this is the best place but when attempting to sign up for CitiGold I got:
"CitiGold: We're sorry, but we're unable to open this account for you online. But you may open this account by calling 1-800-374-9700."

Anyone else get this?

If I am planning on funding with my Citi Exec card is there any risk opening it via phone instead of online?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by thebob6
Not sure if this is the best place but when attempting to sign up for CitiGold I got:
"CitiGold: We're sorry, but we're unable to open this account for you online. But you may open this account by calling 1-800-374-9700."

Anyone else get this?

If I am planning on funding with my Citi Exec card is there any risk opening it via phone instead of online?
try different browser or incognito mode and see if it helps. I always prefer doing things online rather than through the phone.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:24 am

My wife still hasn't gotten her 40k TYP for openings CG account with "public" offer in mid-August. She's made online bill payments on 3 consecutive months now (requirement is for 2). It seems most people haven't gotten their TYP or miles yet. Is it time to SM Citi?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My wife still hasn't gotten her 40k TYP for openings CG account with "public" offer in mid-August. She's made online bill payments on 3 consecutive months now (requirement is for 2). It seems most people haven't gotten their TYP or miles yet. Is it time to SM Citi?
Assuming you fulfill all requirements end of September, you still have to wait 90 after that to see the points according to terms on Citi offer page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.