Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by schrute
Do you have to spend the $750 before the 30th to get the reward? I thought you just had to fund the account by then.
The promo code my AA credit card received from Citi has the condition of spending 750 in it. You need to check the promo code you got to see if spending is one of the conditions.

So there is no way to set up another funding source after having your initial funding source set up?
If you want, you can also open a new Savings account. Just remember to use credit card for the initial funding. You can always transfer the fund back to CitiGold checking afterwards if so desire.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
The promo code my AA credit card received from Citi has the condition of spending 750 in it. You need to check the promo code you got to see if spending is one of the conditions.

If you want, you can also open a new Savings account. Just remember to use credit card for the initial funding. You can always transfer the fund back to CitiGold checking afterwards if so desire.
Whats the advantage of the Savings account? For depositing rewards, right? Did you use the promo on the site here or a different one?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:34 pm

Did you use the promo on the site here or a different one?
I received the promo code with my Citi AA credit card statement. Not sure which code you were referring to
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:14 pm

How long did it take for your account to get approved and funded? I just applied yesterday.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:25 pm

How long did it take for your account to get approved and funded? I just applied yesterday.
CitiGold application on Monday;
Approved on Wednesday;
Call Citi and fund with CC on Wednesday;
CC Charge posted on CC on Thursday;
Fund available in CitiGold on Thursday;
All YMMV depending on date and time of submissions and calls.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:43 pm

Are these Citigold AA deals "always" available (is there usually some code out there all the time)? I will be getting my miles soon for my Citigold account but I wanted my wife to get involved also. She does not currently have any Citi cards so it is my understanding that it is a prerequisite for her to sign up for one of the AA ones and then there be a very good chance she'd receive a code or could use a general one in the near future?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:02 pm

Approved on Wednesday;
Have you tried getting the other accounts? There's CitiGold, the saving account, and basic, so 15K and 5K miles... do those count or is it only one account?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chuuch
Are these Citigold AA deals "always" available (is there usually some code out there all the time)? I will be getting my miles soon for my Citigold account but I wanted my wife to get involved also. She does not currently have any Citi cards so it is my understanding that it is a prerequisite for her to sign up for one of the AA ones and then there be a very good chance she'd receive a code or could use a general one in the near future?
I am curious too. Want to open one of these using my Barclay's card but not until 2016 for some EQMs too
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:42 pm

Do prepaid card loads (target) still count as a debit purchase to meet the $750 requirement? Or is a MO a better way to go here?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
Exactly what I am hoping for, 50k AA miles for approximately $60-$90. Thanks for the reassurances!
Originally Posted by Willbur
It all depends on the card issuer, Barclay has been good for non-CA with Citi. You don't need a $0 CA, just have a CA limit below what you plan to fund.
Anyone know if Citicards will charge a CA fee for using a Citi credit card to fund a Citibank opening?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:46 pm

I funded CitiGold with CC initially. Then I was able to fund a Savings with CC. If that's what you're asking...

Have you tried getting the other accounts? There's CitiGold, the saving account, and basic, so 15K and 5K miles... do those count or is it only one account?
Approved on Wednesday;
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:50 pm

I was not charged a CA fee when using a Citi CC (when it posted).

However, several months ago some folks mentioned they did. So I lowered my CA limit to to 1k before funding the Citi account.

Originally Posted by ultrasoul
Anyone know if Citicards will charge a CA fee for using a Citi credit card to fund a Citibank opening?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:27 am

Just successfully got the 30k AA miles, along with an 24k AA miles by doing the initial funding with my barclays card.

SOME NOTES:

Open the account online!! Do not waste time going to the bank and doing it in person. 1. it will take about 10 times longer, 2. the bank rep will try to get you to open other accounts you don't need, 3. you might get hit with a hard pull (as I was, but then had removed after a few phone calls), and most importantly 4. you CAN NOT fund the account with your barclays card if open the account in person.

You can only fund the account with a credit card once, and only if the account is opened online. This wasn't really clear from what I had researched online, and even what I was told by multiple citi CSRs upon calling up.

They way I learned these lessons: I opened one account for myself in the branch. Big mistake. And I then opened another account for my wife online. Took 10 minutes and allowed for the additional 24k miles. With the account I opened in the branch, I wasn't able to do the initial funding with a credit card and thus lost out on an additional, additional, 24k. But overall, 30k miles for the cost of a money order and some time on the phone, and a headache or two, is more or less still a good deal.

I secured messaged them once the accounts were set up and conditions met in order to ensure that the conditions were met and when the miles would post. I then saved the conversation for my records. And sure enough, a day after the date mentioned, the miles posted.

So, in short, sign up online, and if you have a barclays card use it!

Oh, and also, I was never hit with any fees for the 3 and half months or so the account was opened.

Good luck!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Corelli
Just successfully got the 30k AA miles, along with an 24k AA miles by doing the initial funding with my barclays card.
Is this your very first time opening CitiGold? I am still looking for more data points if people were able to receive the bonus 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by lw7878
Is this your very first time opening CitiGold? I am still looking for more data points if people were able to receive the bonus 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time.
Yes. This was my first Citigold account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.