Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:14 pm

Citi has confirmed I met the requirements and should have the miles 90 days after the current statement cycle. However, they also mention at the end of the message that if I didn't receive this offer from a credit card statement or in a email from AA/Citi then I won't qualify for the miles. Has anyone had trouble getting the miles and also didn't get the offer directly?

Thanks,

-Reece
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:15 pm

My AA account has been increased by 50,000 miles on 1/22. The line says "Transaction Posted." Nothing else I am expecting at this time other than the CitiGold checking sign up bonus so I assume that is it. The checking account was opened on 10/6/15.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:37 am

My 50k posted as well. Says Citibank Affiliate. Will downgrade account today.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by lw7878
My AA account has been increased by 50,000 miles on 1/22. The line says "Transaction Posted." Nothing else I am expecting at this time other than the CitiGold checking sign up bonus so I assume that is it. The checking account was opened on 10/6/15.
Originally Posted by abcx
My 50k posted as well. Says Citibank Affiliate. Will downgrade account today.
When did you guys complete the requirements, and when does your statement post? I opened my account 10/15/15 and completed requirements 11/3 and statement is at the end of the month. I have not received the bonus yet.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
When did you guys complete the requirements, and when does your statement post? I opened my account 10/15/15 and completed requirements 11/3 and statement is at the end of the month. I have not received the bonus yet.
My time line is similar to yours.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I opened my account 10/15/15 and completed requirements 11/3 and statement is at the end of the month. I have not received the bonus yet..
How did you guys complete the requirements in such a short time frame? Does yours not require 2 consecutive months of bill pays? Perhaps mine is a different promo.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Today, the line description on the AA website changed from Transaction Posted to CITIBANK AFFILIATE.

I completed the $1000 spending requirement soon after the debit card arrived. I made two bill pays from the online checking account in 10/2015 and 11/2015. Both requirements were done by the time the statement closed on 11/30/15.

Be aware.... I used the Pay Bill function from the online account, i.e. "Push". If you set up an auto-pay, i.e. "pull" from outside entity, I was told that it wouldn't meet the requirement.

We will not know the fate of 1099 until early next year.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by runfromthefire
How did you guys complete the requirements in such a short time frame? Does yours not require 2 consecutive months of bill pays? Perhaps mine is a different promo.
1 bill pay at the end of Oct and 1 in early Nov. I think I opened my account in late Oct...
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by lw7878
Today, the line description on the AA website changed from Transaction Posted to CITIBANK AFFILIATE.
1 bill pay at the end of Oct and 1 in early Nov. I think I opened my account in late Oct...
Were you guys actually targeted for the promotion? Like others, I completed my spend in the same time frame, but no sign of my miles.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ValueAdd82
Were you guys actually targeted for the promotion? Like others, I completed my spend in the same time frame, but no sign of my miles.
Yes, I was targeted.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:53 pm

Bit of a dilemma.

The AF on my AA plat posted a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't been able to get Citi to waive it. The bonus language on this promo says that when the miles are posted (supposed to be in March for me), both the checking and cc accounts must be open and in good standing. However, between the time I opened my Citigold account and now, I opened a second AA plat (used the world elite upgrade trick to get a second 50k bonus).

My question is, if I product change the original AA card to a double cash card, is that going to somehow disqualify me from receiving the miles?

I'm not sure if Citi records the AA plat account that was open when you opened the Citigold account, and when they go to post the miles they'll see that it's closed? Or, do you think when it's time to post the miles, they just check to see if you have any open AA plat account and post the miles to that FF #?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:21 pm

I was not.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:48 pm

Bit of a dilemma.

The AF on my AA plat posted a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't been able to get Citi to waive it. The bonus language on this promo says that when the miles are posted (supposed to be in March for me), both the checking and cc accounts must be open and in good standing. However, between the time I opened my Citigold account and now, I opened a second AA plat (used the world elite upgrade trick to get a second 50k bonus).

My question is, if I product change the original AA card to a double cash card, is that going to somehow disqualify me from receiving the miles?

I'm not sure if Citi records the AA plat account that was open when you opened the Citigold account, and when they go to post the miles they'll see that it's closed? Or, do you think when it's time to post the miles, they just check to see if you have any open AA plat account and post the miles to that FF #?
You will be fine as long as you have one AA card when they post the sign up bonus. The bonus doesn't tie to any specific AA card.

To answer your last question, my guess is that they'd check when they post the miles.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:36 am

Does calling in or applying in-branch improve your chances of your application being approved? I applied online and they denied my application.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:17 am

Just curiosity, but did Citi stick anyone else with a 30 day "ATM only" debit card that can't be used for POS transactions? My 30 days are up in a few days, but still...I really wonder if there's such a tremendous danger that I might go on a hog-wild crime wave with $1000 deposited on a debit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.